Author Topic: Steering damper  (Read 1879 times)

roy brazil

• Scooter
on: October 22, 2021, 04:15:06 pm
Hi guys and girls ! Congrats on the forum, great source of information.
I am a very pleased owner of an interceptor 650, nevertheless, among some little improvements that I feel are a must, it would be good to have a steering damper fitted. Anyone did that? What would be a good fit for a frame/yoke install?
Thanks ...
Roy Brazil

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 04:54:00 pm
Hi guys and girls ! Congrats on the forum, great source of information.
I am a very pleased owner of an interceptor 650, nevertheless, among some little improvements that I feel are a must, it would be good to have a steering damper fitted. Anyone did that? What would be a good fit for a frame/yoke install?
Thanks ...
Steering stabilizers come in a number of forms. This website shows a wide selection. I'm not pimping this particular company but it will be educational. https://www.motorcycleid.com/steering-dampers.html

Generally speaking, I tend to work on eliminating the need for one than using one (dirt bikes excluded). I feel the need to ask if you are still on the OEM tires? I ask because nearly everyone who comments about their new tires, ratle on using words like "transformative".
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

roy brazil

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 05:09:12 pm
Thanks for the link NVDucati... yes still on the original Pirellis, the bike is some six months old. I fitted motone "up & over raisers" for a more upright stance and that contributes to a bit of wobbling sometimes, so... 
Roy Brazil

roy brazil

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 05:54:51 pm
... correction; looking for old school frame to forks damper. It worked fine on a Norton 850 commando I had years ago.
Roy Brazil

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 07:00:32 pm
There is a plug and play set from hyperpro germany .
Isle of rĂ¼gen, germany .
Wachau austria

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 07:33:18 pm
... correction; looking for old school frame to forks damper. It worked fine on a Norton 850 commando I had years ago.
In some ways that makes it easier. There are a gillion (more or less) 41mm two piece clamps.
Mouse Racing makes a 11 click, rebuildable unit.
HD Sportsters have 41mm forks as do others.

Let us know how you make out.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

roy brazil

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 07:41:55 pm
... thats more like it. Thanx man.
Roy Brazil

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 05:18:37 am
YSS 200mm damper with YSS bottom mount bracket and generic 41mm fork clamp.
Tab off the frame joint

I also see "Ohlins" copies here in Thailand that mount under the steering head.  POS but look the part
The mounting method however removes the risk of spearing ones leg in the damper rod

The bike was fine without the damper, but I have a sidecar so fitted the damper to reduce head shake under certain conditions. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 05:28:50 am by Hog Head »
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 08:27:09 am
Your wobbling and weaving  will be the cheap suspension showing it's inability to do much more than stop your sump from hitting the road. It is best to improve the suspension, the RE650s don't need a steering damper, it won't fix poor suspension.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 08:28:50 am
YSS 200mm damper with YSS bottom mount bracket and generic 41mm fork clamp.
Tab off the frame joint

I also see "Ohlins" copies here in Thailand that mount under the steering head.  POS but look the part
The mounting method however removes the risk of spearing ones leg in the damper rod

The bike was fine without the damper, but I have a sidecar so fitted the damper to reduce head shake under certain conditions.

Such an ugly installation. Elegant it is not.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

gregrb41

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 12:23:45 pm
Your wobbling and weaving  will be the cheap suspension showing it's inability to do much more than stop your sump from hitting the road. It is best to improve the suspension, the RE650s don't need a steering damper, it won't fix poor suspension.

This is true. You are completely wasting your time with a steering damper. Upgrade the suspension. These bikes are absolutely definitely not prone to tank slappers. If someone on the internet said you need a steering damper find out where they live, go round to their house and give them a slap, it'll be well deserved and they'll thank you for resetting their idiot brain.
And leading to the Interceptor................
AS1 - RD250 - RD400 - CB750 - Bandit 1200 - Thunderbird Sport - Thunderbird w/sidecar - Thunderace - VF1000 - Thunderace - Tiger 955i - V-Strom 650 -Breva 750 - Bullet Electra - C90 - TL1000S - and here we are and loving the Interceptor :-)

roy brazil

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 02:36:58 pm
This is true. You are completely wasting your time with a steering damper. Upgrade the suspension. These bikes are absolutely definitely not prone to tank slappers. If someone on the internet said you need a steering damper find out where they live, go round to their house and give them a slap, it'll be well deserved and they'll thank you for resetting their idiot brain.
  ;D ... I'll see about the forks. Anyone changed the forks?
Roy Brazil

gregrb41

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 12:43:57 pm
  ;D ... I'll see about the forks. Anyone changed the forks?

There's plenty changed the internals, usually a YSS kit, including myself. This transforms the ride - very 'planted' feel.
Plenty of rear changes too. I stuck a set of TECS on, not the best but a big improvement over stock, suit my purpose and relatively cheap.
Of course, the seat will be next on your list, I put on a GT touring seat and had a gel pad inserted too, now very comfortable thank you (done a couple of 500 mile days with no discomfort at the end of it).
And leading to the Interceptor................
AS1 - RD250 - RD400 - CB750 - Bandit 1200 - Thunderbird Sport - Thunderbird w/sidecar - Thunderace - VF1000 - Thunderace - Tiger 955i - V-Strom 650 -Breva 750 - Bullet Electra - C90 - TL1000S - and here we are and loving the Interceptor :-)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 03:18:23 pm
There is a plug and play set from hyperpro germany .
So nice to see the fork oil marks on that fork image. See those? That's what I had on my forks and even after cleaning with my Seal Mate there are still very light marks of oil where the fork reaches max compression. But it's not something I'm going to worry about any more, because they're not leaking in any big way. And I will worry even less because Hyperpro Germany put a photo of forks that show the same marks.... :)
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three