Author Topic: Meteor not starting  (Read 4991 times)

Perryjo

• Scooter
on: October 14, 2021, 09:39:24 pm
Meteor will not start

I have a new Meteor with about 260 miles on it and now it is not starting.
I have checked the fuses and battery and the fuses are all good and the battery is fully charged.  I use a battery tender to keep it charged and have tested the battery with a voltage meter. All wiring appears connected and in good shape.

I did see a post about an Interceptor having this problems and the fix in that post was to reset the ECU to factory settings.  Does anyone know how to reset the Meteor ECU to factory settings?

Has anyone seen my not starting issue or have any suggestions how to fix the issue.
The nearest dealership is 180 miles away, so if there is a home fix, it would be nice to save the time and miles.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:24:49 pm
Did we look at the basics yet - kill switch is in RUN position, fuel tank >3/4 full, spark plug out & spark verified, side stand up and neutral is indicating, maybe a "hot reboot" tried by disconnecting the battery for a minute to let out the "evil electrons" and then reconnecting?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 11:42:43 pm
Meteor will not start

Does the instrument cluster "light up" when the key is turned on and does the engine crank at all? Check the basics already mentioned. Make sure the battery connections are tight too.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Perryjo

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 11:17:53 pm
The instrument panel lights up when the ignition is turned on. 
The battery connections are tight.
The starter grinds away but does not start
I have checked the fuses and have removed and replaced the battery with no success. I have tried to start the bike, sitting on it with both stands up.  Lots of gas in the tank.  Still with no luck.

I have not pulled the spark plug to see if I have a hot spark.   I will try that.
I also plan to check the ignition coil to see if it okay.

I also found a video which said that there is a recall for faulty ignition coils.  I have a call into the dealership to verify if that could be the issue. 

Thanks for your responses

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 12:40:06 am

I also found a video which said that there is a recall for faulty ignition coils.  I have a call into the dealership to verify if that could be the issue. 

Thanks for your responses

You may have hit the nail on the head! Yes, I don't know why that didn't come to mind, as I read about that recall earlier in the summer. You should be able to find it online somewhere. Try googling "Royal Enfield Mateor recall".

If I remember correctly, the recall involved bikes built from December 2020 to March 2021, but the dealer should be able to tell from your VIN number. Let us know what happens with that.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Perryjo

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 10:16:42 pm
It appears that the problem was a fouled plug.  I had pulled the plug and while it did have some “black soot” it did not seem to be an issue. I pulled the plug again, and did the old school cleaning. After screwing the plug back in, I got it started.  It took a bit longer than usual to start and ran rough at first, but the longer it runs it seems to becoming smoother.
I tried to find a replace plug with no luck.
Thanks for everyone’s input

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 04:49:04 am
Have your dealer ship you a new plug and see if that fixes the problem.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 05:41:46 am
kill switch is in RUN position

Fortunately this a mistake nobody can make with a Meteor 350  ;)
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Chrome Red
BMW F800GS

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 01:41:23 pm
Fortunately this a mistake nobody can make with a Meteor 350  ;)

They have no kill switch?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 02:03:04 pm
           They have no kill switch?

It's rather cleverly also the starter switch.

My Bullet is the only bike I can recall having a modern kill switch (though I think my Commando may have had a kill button I never used). All my other bikes have been too elderly to have required one. For some reason I'd assumed they all had to have a similar central "run" position that could be switched either up or down to stop, like the Bullet's, but I guess I was mistaken.

I've only ever yet seen a single Meteor in the wild. Frankly, I was impressed by how "substantial" it seemed for a 350, but I've never been a huge fan of that "blacked out" look that's sort of trendy nowadays. But I must say the forthcoming "Classic" variant, without all that "funereal" shite slathered on the engine, is a properly fine looking bike. I could well see that appealing to an older duffer like me wanting to get back into biking without breaking the bank or having to swing their leg over something that more closely resembled one of the grandkid's Transformers toys than the accustomed rides of his or her youth. The boa-who-just-swallowed-a-mouse lumpy downpipe some (but not all?) seem to be shipping with notwithstanding, ain't this a fine looking ride? And this ain't even its "pretty side":

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:42:45 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.