Author Topic: Won't Kick Start When Hot  (Read 2263 times)

trud

• Scooter
on: October 10, 2021, 01:22:41 pm
Hello all,
RE B5 2016. Won't Kick Start When Hot.  Where to look for the cause?
B5 2013

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 02:36:20 pm
Hello all,
Won't kick start? Can you kick it or not?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 12:06:06 am
My C5 can be a but stubborn to kickstart when it's hot, and by that I mean it just won't fire. I did manage to find a solution, albeit quite by accident. This my work for you as well, but keep in mind they all have their own personalities.

1. With the key turned off, Open the throttle and kick it though once or twice. (This replaces the heated air in the cylinder with cooler air)
2. Release the throttle, turn the key on and let the engine prime as usual.
3. Slowly depress the kickstarter until you feel the piston come up to top dead center TDC.
4. With light steady pressure on the kickstarter, push the piston just over TDC.
5. Raise the kickstarter to the top of its travel and give one steady kick all the way down and forward of the foot pedal. Keep it there.

If this fails go back to step number 3 and repeat.  If all else fails use the electric starter.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 04:52:59 pm
Does it help to use the enrichener?

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 06:23:15 pm
I presume your response is to the original post, as it should be, but I'm going to try the bi starter in my case just to see if it makes a difference.  I never considered it to be honest. Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a practical use for the bi starter for 6 years now. ;)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:41:24 pm
And the winner of the I can now consistently kickstart my bike when it's hot award is... axman88!!!  I was shocked when it fired to life with the bi starter engaged. I did it 4 times and each time it started consistently when engine was heat-saturated for 10 minutes or so. Absolutley amazing, and it only took me 6 years to learn the trick.  THANK YOU!!! :D :D :D

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 03:26:15 am
And the winner of the I can now consistently kickstart my bike when it's hot award is... axman88!!!  I was shocked when it fired to life with the bi starter engaged. I did it 4 times and each time it started consistently when engine was heat-saturated for 10 minutes or so. Absolutley amazing, and it only took me 6 years to learn the trick.  THANK YOU!!! :D :D :D
Just a lucky guess, on the assumption that a hot start issue might mean a too lean mix.

It probably wouldn't hurt to verify that the temperature sensor is giving accurate response of resistance vs temperature.

My understanding is that the bi-starter, opens additional air, but also communicates need for additional fuel to the ECU.  I'm not positive about this, just my recollection from reading something somewhere.   Seems to me that other ways of persuading the ECU (which will definitely be in open loop when starting), to enrichen the mix, would be to adjust the TPS so it communicates a wider throttle opening, or game the manifold pressure sensor to think atmospheric pressure is higher, or game the manifold temperature sensor, (if equipped), to think it's colder.  Maybe just holding the throttle open a bit would be enough?

On the other side of the coin, verifying these sensors are giving accurate readings is important, since in open loop, that's all the ECU has to make its decisions on.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 08:32:59 pm
Glad you got it squared away. Always fun to kickstart.  I use as much as possible to save electric start.
2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 12:31:40 am
Well I'm squared away, but this problem was posted originally by Trud. Now we need to see if we can get him squared away. Any news Trud?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 01:28:50 am
Believe it or not but after install of dyno jet I was having similar problem and  sever compression kick back.  It was brutal and painful.  I almost regretted putting it on.  But then I adjusted my technique.

First keep your hand off the throttle.  Use  enrichener full on.
Here is where I was really hirting myself.  Instead of trying to kick the bike with kick lever from high position. I put it about level to the silencer.  Also follow kicker thr ou ugh it's full stroke with foot and dont take it off.  This helps incase bike kicks back. You foot and leg are in better leverage position to deal with it.

Anyway with enrichener full on and kicker level with silencer turn bike on and with a swift kick let it start without throttle.   This is actually easier aa there is hardly no resistance through the kicking motion.  Mire often than not its goingbto start first or second kick and save the knee. Only use throttle once bike starts.   Then close enrichener.   Works for mw cold or hot.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 08:31:50 am
Looks like your timing may be off, slightly too advanced at tickover. Can you adjust that on the dynojet?

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 10:05:28 am
a map was  already loaded for the royal Enfield.  its running fine just a different way to kick it over.  now that i have it figured out its way easy.

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 02:07:08 am
Just checked my throttle position sensor.  I forgot to tighten it down last time. I set it to about .762.  Bike kicked right over.

https://youtu.be/xKARvj9gQRs

Othen

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 02:07:41 pm
Hello all,

... did you fix the problem?

trud

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 07:19:54 pm
No, still looking for a solution.
B5 2013