Author Topic: Headlight Adjustment  (Read 2562 times)

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
on: September 16, 2021, 09:25:54 pm
So, having fitted a LED headlight and waited until the “Dark nights” Drawing in, I now have the capability of illuminating the International Space Station.

So, removing the plugs to the side of the headlight and loosening the cap heads……nothing, no adjustment whatsoever, if, that’s if, there was any movement, it was 4~5mm …in the wrong direction.

Looking around the headlight, there is a metal bracket up from the front frame work to the base of the headlight shell.

So, a YouTube search, shows exactly what I did BUT with full adjustment….anybody else had a similar problem. Next job is to totally remove the headlight shell to investigate….

To put it in context, tonight in the dark on returning home, turning into the Road, I put my high beam on, I lit up the neighbours upstairs rooms lovely 😆

Have fun, G 😎
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 03:51:56 am
Headlights generally tilt for up/down, spring loaded screw adjust for left/right. The Online Parts Book shows a lens reflector assembly with replaceable bulb. I assume you used an LED version?

Do you have the old bulb? I'd put it back in and look over the L/R adjustment set up. There will be a spring loaded set up to maintain your setting and prevent rattling. If you get it to work with the incandescent, then swap it out for the LED and recheck. If it worked before, it'll work again. If it stops adjusting L/R with the LED, maybe there is a mechanical clearance/jamming issue with the LED. Many LEDs are larger at the base end to accommodate heat sink finning. 
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Mark1971

• Scooter
  • Durham, UK, Classic 500
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:46:51 am
A few articles on the interweb mention ways of correcting a poor beam pattern. You have to ensure the LED diodes are orientated to sit left and right on the bulb, not top and bottom. This apparently helps correct the light being thrown off in odd directions. A friend of mine had this issue in his car and by rotating the bulb totally eliminated the issue. I think the bulbs have a little adjustment screw on the side somewhere so you can rotate the bulb on its base.
Mark from Durham, UK
Classic 500 - Battle green 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 853 2022

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 10:03:02 am
Hello again,
So finally got around to sorting out the headlight.
As you can see from the photo no bulb orientation problems.
The previous owner had installed very long set screws for holding the screen in place which were fouling the headlight shell. Having removed said screws, also the headlight bowl, just to check anything else. I have UP movement but not down! :-\
Yes the rear of the bowl engages with the bracket which holds the speedo cluster. Having re routed any wiring which may have contacted the headlight bowl.
So, I still have a high headlight. Being very reluctant to cut the back off the headlight bowl  :o
Have fun.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 02:12:08 am

…………..I now have the capability of illuminating the International Space Station.

I was wondering where my high beam was shining and I think you’ve identified it correctly.
I was expecting to at least light up the koalas high in the gum trees, yet this was denied and it must surely be aimed at the ISS.

Travelling the lonely bush highways at 80kph on low beam certainly keeps a rider alert - an eastern grey at eye to eye height can hip-and-shoulder you off the road in an instant. At least you have a sporting chance, whereas a wombat or wild pig are more like having a boulder thrown under your front wheel. Ouch  :-[

It is a little disappointing that RE does not have a YouTube series of tips and tricks for the Himalayan, as they do have for the Meteor and the 650 twins.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 10:34:59 pm
 >:(
Having been at “Bike Night” - West Stockwith on a Thursday….. Waited until really dark…Yep, even Wagon Drivers were flashing me….So tonight…Out with the Dremel… Off with the rear of the headlight shell/bowl/cluster.
Re fit …yards..oops metres of relevant movement 👍 So test drive ..in the dark poifect, marvellous, brilliant….So, weather permitting Next Thursday…West Stockwith Bike Night ….NO PROBLEM 🧐😎😁