Author Topic: Trying Out A New Pekar  (Read 3327 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 07, 2021, 06:29:13 pm
          I have got it in my head to play around with a carb I came across by accident. It's called a Pekar & I don't know if that's a brand name or a nickname or something else.

The story I get is that this is a Chinese copy of a Russian carb that has been used on URALs in many foreign countries going way back to the early days of URAL. It's a 30mm so is smaller than my TM 32.

Has a round slide with 5 groove needle. It has a tickler, but I'm told it has no Pilot Jet although it looks to me that there IS another jet in there (I have it totally apart at the moment). He says that only the Main Jet can be changed & I got a Huge array of main jets with the carb.  Of course it has a regular Mixture Screw & Idle Speed Screw. It appears as though my throttle cable will hook right up no problem. Some tweaking expected, of course. There always is :)

The man I got it from says he has put them, with success, on single BSAs, Triumphs & REs up to 500 & dual setups on larger twins. I just wonder if the increase in flow that my ACEhead has, if it's even worth the effort to try it & go through all that tweaking.

I realize that with a bike like, say, a 650 URAL, each carb would only be dealing with 325cc so it might be perfectly OK. I have a feeling my engine might be starved a bit. I might be detuning it a bit too much.

Does anyone have personal experience of this carb? Not "Well, a guy down the street says" experience. Or even HEAR of it?

Ace: If I was to send you this carb, is there a way to evaluate it (flow test?) & just say it ain't worth the trouble on my particular engine with such an increased flow from a stock AVL. I could easily do that.

I'll get a couple pictures later.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 06:45:51 pm
At £35 per pair on Ebay, they're cheaper than Mikarbs!

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:23 pm
At £35 per pair on Ebay, they're cheaper than Mikarbs!

Frank

Yes, they certainly are cheap :) :)

But have you watched some of the YooToob videos about old URALs in godawful condition that still start & run down the road dragging duct tape, chewing gum and baling wire? Those + there are some incredibly interesting videos of total restorations of "I wouldn't touch that with YOUR ten-foot pole" URALs that come out running & looking drop-dead gorgeous.

Of course, I 'spose none of that means the Pekar is any good  :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 09:43:59 pm
Here's a 14 page tuning guide...

Adjusting the Pekar K68 for your Dnepr or Ural
Adjustment section translated from Pekar K68 manual

http://www.russianiron.com/eafranke_ural3/Part%20V-11C%20-%20Adjustment%20of%20K-68%20Carbs.pdf

more links...
http://www.russianiron.com/eafranke_ural3/Part%20V-11-%20K-68%20Carbs.pdf

http://myural.com/pekar_k68_disassembly.htm

http://www.russianiron.com/eafranke_ural3/Part%20V-9%20-%20K-65%20Carbs.pdf

...and this cryptic note " Please to keep your Pekar well lubed for most glorious performance ".... ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:56:00 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 10:27:59 pm
Here's a 14 page tuning guide...

Adjusting the Pekar K68 for your Dnepr or Ural
Adjustment section translated from Pekar K68 manual

http://www.russianiron.com/eafranke_ural3/Part%20V-11C%20-%20Adjustment%20of%20K-68%20Carbs.pdf

Thanks. That'll help me decide. I hadn't found anything that comprehensive yet.

Here's the subject on the autopsy table:

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 04:46:22 pm
That deep threaded top for the carb puts me in mind of the 28mm Mikarb. I will be very interested to see how this turns out.

According to the PDF manual AzCal linked to there IS a pilot jet, any size you like as long as it's a 50. Hopefully it'll give you the easier starting you want without any noticeable performance loss.

Note the flange mounting holes have had to be opened out, hopefully to 60mm centres for the AVL head. If it really needs a 32mm to replace the TM32, there is a flat-slide carb from China intended for a 350 two stroke twin, probably re-jettable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274523529879?hash=item3feae0a297:g:~icAAOSw0ltffTMg

Another budget option would be one of the clones of a PWK Keihin which CMW actually used to supply for the IB and AVL Bullets in 30mm size. There certainly is a 32mm size option however, mounting stub is 40mm O/D same as the TM32.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 08:17:27 pm
Has that person got very small hands, or is it really that big?

Frank

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 02:58:00 am
PricePart stocks a nice selection of Wassell carbs & tuning bits:
https://www.pricepartmotorcycles.co.uk/ourshop/cat_324963-Wassell-Carburetors.html
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 12:05:40 pm
If I read the previous posts correctly, tooseevee is more than happy with how his AVL actually runs with the flat slide Mikuni, difficult kickstarting is the issue. That said, a Mk1 Amal tickler fitted to the TM32 might help, if someone could work out how to do it!

The results of the Pekar trial are eagerly awaited. One of those 28mm Pekars Frank mentioned (£35 per pair) will fit my 350 with hardly any modification

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 12:37:28 pm
If I read the previous posts correctly, tooseevee is more than happy with how his AVL actually runs with the flat slide Mikuni, difficult kickstarting is the issue.

The results of the Pekar trial are eagerly awaited. One of those 28mm Pekars Frank mentioned (£35 per pair) will fit my 350 with hardly any modification

A.

Yes, that's true. It runs like a kerosened cat, but it's also smooth & easy revving in every gear, not frantic like a super-tuned track bike might be. This Pekar experiment is just that; an experiment.

The thing I like about carburetors is that you (the throttle twister) are actually connected (& FEEL connected) to the damn things DYE-recktly & you can FEEL each little separate tweak you might do to them. I just like using my laptop for this forum & email & checking on my bank balance; NOT for playing with bikes. It's perfectly fine if you DO that & understand it all, but I just don't choose to. My ass, fingers & ears (+ how well they kickstart) are my DYNOmometer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 01:37:18 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 12:39:22 pm
Has that person got very small hands, or is it really that big?

Frank

What person?

And, no, it's not a "big" carb.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 01:17:03 pm
The person whose hand is holding the carb on the Ebay ad that Adrian linked to

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 01:22:45 pm
The person whose hand is holding the carb on the Ebay ad that Adrian linked to

Frank

Ah! I see what you mean. It Does look big, doesn't it?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 01:52:35 pm
That deep threaded top for the carb puts me in mind of the 28mm Mikarb. I will be very interested to see how this turns out.

According to the PDF manual AzCal linked to there IS a pilot jet, any size you like as long as it's a 50. Hopefully it'll give you the easier starting you want without any noticeable performance loss.

Note the flange mounting holes have had to be opened out, hopefully to 60mm centres for the AVL head.

A.

There is a metal top cap available. I'll just be very careful not to crack it. Or step on it :)

Yes, it DOES have a Pilot Jet. When the seller told me it had none, I think he meant there were no other choices but 50. It's a tiny little jet & fits into its holder which is right to the left of the large Main Jet holder which you see in the picture.

Yes. The seller widened the holes to 60mm for me before he shipped it.

I want to make at least a 1/2" thick heat insulator spacer for it. I might even make it large enough to also insulate the float bowl. What's that stuff called now? It used to be Mikarta. Or Micarta.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 01:56:23 pm by tooseevee »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 04:00:17 pm
Aircraft Spruce has "phenolic sheet", aka commercially called Micarta or Tufnol in a generous selection of sizes.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/phenolic.php

HIGH PRESSURE LAMINATED PHENOLIC
Commonly called “Micarta”, a trademark of Westinghouse. Laminated sheets, tube and rods are produced in many grades, sizes and colors. These laminates combine a base material- canvas, linen, paper, glass cloth or Nylon cloth, with a resin-phenolic, melamine, epoxy or silicone, under high heat and pressure to produce a new material with specific characteristics. These characteristics vary with the grade and its use.

GRADE L (Linen Base)
PHENOLIC SHEET
Used for precision machining and high strength applications.
Sheet Size: 36" x 48".
Sold in 6" x 6", 6" x 12", 12" x 12", etc. pieces only.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/s.nl?ext=F&sc=1&category=&search=tufnol