Author Topic: Center Stand Slides Along Surface Instead of Retracting - Help?  (Read 8866 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #45 on: August 23, 2021, 06:46:02 am
"My '14 535 CGT was a bastard as well. The stand went too far over centre and skidded along the floor. The solution was to machine up a pair of small bushes that fit over the two pins that the weight of the bike rests on when it's on the stand. The bushes stop the stand over rotating so it stands more vertically."

Simon, I did the same thing and it worked for several years, but eventually, the steel tab reinforcements deformed as did the rear engine mount plates. Finally, I resorted to welding hardened steel washers around the deformed holes. My welding skill was of the 8th grade shop class variety but is still working well. However, if a new plate is available from Mr H, it is easiest to buy new.

Hey, it got the job done!! Good one.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: August 24, 2021, 06:52:46 pm
UPDATE and Solution (likely temporary)
As many of you have commented, my center stand rested at an angle too far beyond vertical, causing the feet to support only part of the weight while the deployment leg was fully on the ground and supporting much of the weight.  Hence the feet had too little friction to activate the leverage of the retraction.
Inspection of my stand showed that the spindle holes were round and had not (yet) worn to a loose oval shape.  Looking closely at the surface of the stand where the stop pegs rested, it appeared that portion of the stand had been fabricated at an angle, rather than level/straight, causing the stand legs to go too far forward when deployed.
Before going to the expense and trouble of a permanent fix, I tested my theory with a temporary collar/sleeve fitted to the stop pegs.  I worked a 3/8" fuel line over the pegs, and then reinforced it with a brass collar that I cut out of an old brass hose connector.  Then I secured them with zip ties.
TA DA!  Success!
Now, I will look for the materials to fabricate a permanent collar, probably secured with a set screw, or have some welding done at the pegs or on the angled stand surface.
The pictures with the red tape show the angled surface of the stand where the peg sits, and the peg.  The pictures with the hose reinforced by a brass collar show the solution for now.
I doubt that I am the first one to try this, so if this fix exists somewhere else in this forum, I do not intend to hijack it or take any credit.  But, it works for now.  Thanks to all for your input and help!

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: August 25, 2021, 07:42:34 pm
That will work for several years until more deformation is formed. You can get an off the shelf "collar" at a good hardware store that have a set screw to hold the collar in place. You need one with a 1/2" or 3/4" hole if I remember correctly.  They have them at my local "Home Depot" in the small parts drawer section.  These collars are primarily used for centering a pulley on a motor drive shaft.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:50:24 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: August 26, 2021, 01:14:44 pm
That will work for several years until more deformation is formed. You can get an off the shelf "collar" at a good hardware store that have a set screw to hold the collar in place. You need one with a 1/2" or 3/4" hole if I remember correctly.  They have them at my local "Home Depot" in the small parts drawer section.  These collars are primarily used for centering a pulley on a motor drive shaft.
THANKS!  I looked in there in our Depot and could not find them, but our store is one of the smallest variety.  Now that I know what the collars are used for, it should be a lot easier to find a couple of them.  The picture will be a big help.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:19 pm
THANKS!  I looked in there in our Depot and could not find them, but our store is one of the smallest variety.  Now that I know what the collars are used for, it should be a lot easier to find a couple of them.  The picture will be a big help.

You can probably find them at Graingers or any industrial supply outlet. If you might also find them at an electrical supply house or shop that rebuilds electric motors.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: August 26, 2021, 11:58:24 pm
McMaster Carr has this kind of parts and seems happy to supply small quantities. Measure the diameter of your "stand rod stops".  McMasters has them for under $3 each. Shipping is about $9. See link  below.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shaft-collars/shaft-collars/shaft-collars-6/set-screw-shaft-collars-8/

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: August 28, 2021, 02:39:26 pm
McMaster Carr has this kind of parts and seems happy to supply small quantities. Measure the diameter of your "stand rod stops".  McMasters has them for under $3 each. Shipping is about $9. See link  below.

Thanks! I actually used you uploaded image to ID it at the Depot and ordered it online.  Minimum order of 5, but I am thinking I may be able to get two on each stop spindle.  They are scheduled to get here tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Did you drill a small boss hole for the set screw or just tighten it down?

https://www.mcmaster.com/shaft-collars/shaft-collars/shaft-collars-6/set-screw-shaft-collars-8/

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: August 28, 2021, 02:42:45 pm

Thanks! I actually used you uploaded image to ID it at the Depot and ordered it online.  Minimum order of 5, but I am thinking I may be able to get two on each stop spindle.  They are scheduled to get here tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Did you drill a small boss hole for the set screw or just tighten it down?

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: August 28, 2021, 02:53:08 pm
Sorry for cluttering the thread with wrongly done replies.  The web site and I do not seem to be getting along well today, and I can't get my posts fixed to be formatted properly.  Probably Saturday morning brain fog ...

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: September 01, 2021, 08:37:58 pm
What was the diameter of you center stand "stop rods", 1/2" or 3/4"?

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: September 02, 2021, 01:57:32 am
What was the diameter of you center stand "stop rods", 1/2" or 3/4"?

1/2"