Author Topic: Center Stand Slides Along Surface Instead of Retracting - Help?  (Read 8792 times)

GBT

• Scooter
  • England, UK
Reply #30 on: August 16, 2021, 12:52:26 pm
This has already been suggested, but maybe the stand's pivot holes in the frame have become elongated, allowing the stand to go too far over centre. The photos Centerstand 1.jpg and Centerstand 3.jpg seem to indicate that the lever that you put your foot on is in contact with the ground, and the stand itself is positioned at a more acute angle than it should be.
Compare those pictures with a photo of a brand new 2020 C5 EFI stand. (IMG_1042b.jpg) and you can see the difference. Admittedly these are two slightly different bikes with different stand part numbers, but I should think the basic stand design is the same on both of them.
When I retract the stand on my new C5 I have to lift the bike upwards and forwards to get it over the stand's vertical position. It does require a fair amount of effort, but the bike is quite heavy and I'm well past retirement age. A 2009 G5 is just as heavy and is likely to have a worn-out stand, making the whole process more difficult. If the angle of the stand is too acute the bike will just slide forwards.
I had a similar problem with my 1992 Bullet 500, and discovered that the stand's pivot holes were quite badly worn. (see Bullet Centre Stand 002a.jpg) Repairing the damage restored the angle of the stand to a position just over centre and this made a world of difference.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: August 16, 2021, 02:39:37 pm
The center stand of my Bullet, with its 19" wheels front and back, seems to work easily enough with the help of the grab handle on the left side of the chassis. Perhaps RE kept the original center stand length when they shifted to 18" wheels on the newer models?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: August 16, 2021, 03:05:42 pm
This has already been suggested, but maybe the stand's pivot holes in the frame have become elongated, allowing the stand to go too far over centre. The photos Centerstand 1.jpg and Centerstand 3.jpg seem to indicate that the lever that you put your foot on is in contact with the ground, and the stand itself is positioned at a more acute angle than it should be.
Compare those pictures with a photo of a brand new 2020 C5 EFI stand. (IMG_1042b.jpg) and you can see the difference. Admittedly these are two slightly different bikes with different stand part numbers, but I should think the basic stand design is the same on both of them.
When I retract the stand on my new C5 I have to lift the bike upwards and forwards to get it over the stand's vertical position. It does require a fair amount of effort, but the bike is quite heavy and I'm well past retirement age. A 2009 G5 is just as heavy and is likely to have a worn-out stand, making the whole process more difficult. If the angle of the stand is too acute the bike will just slide forwards.
I had a similar problem with my 1992 Bullet 500, and discovered that the stand's pivot holes were quite badly worn. (see Bullet Centre Stand 002a.jpg) Repairing the damage restored the angle of the stand to a position just over centre and this made a world of difference.

I think you may have nailed it.  My stand is definitely deployed at a more acute angle, and the foot lever is fully in contact with the ground, apparently even more so than the tubular feet.  I will have to check the frame mounting holes.  If the elongation of the holes in the frame is the problem, how did you fix that?  I am trying to visualize shimming or correcting an elongated hole, but only welding comes to mind.  Thanks!

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: August 16, 2021, 03:14:34 pm
I just went back and reviewed mrunderhill's post and was reminded that a replacement mount is available, so this would seem the best repair option unless someone managed a home made solution.  I will check my mount and proceed accordingly.  It would be a relief if this is the problem and the fix.  I'll let ya'll (Southern for youse guys) know how it works out.

GBT

• Scooter
  • England, UK
Reply #34 on: August 16, 2021, 04:40:38 pm
Geezer, I've just spotted your latest post about a replacement mount, so I hope that works, but the comments below are what I was going to post originally, and may still be relevant: 

The photo showing the elongated pivot pin (or spindle) hole belongs to my 1992 Bullet 500. These holes formed part of the rear engine plates, and these engine plates were listed as spare parts, so I could have simply replaced them along with the other parts of the stand assembly to end up with a brand new centre stand. In the event, however, someone offered to weld the holes for me and rebore them, and this saved me the expense of buying new parts.
I get the feeling that you may have to have some similar welding work done on your frame. Unless I'm mistaken, the centre stand spindle mounting holes for the EFI models, including the 2009 G5, are actually part of the frame, and not detachable as they were on the iron-barrel models. (See Frame G5 EFI 2008 - 2012-01.jpg) So simply fitting a new stand and a new spindle may not fix the underlying problem.
I have often thought that RE should have locked the spindle in some way to prevent it rotating backwards and forwards in its mounting holes whenever the stand was operated. I'm sure that the rotation of the spindle in its mounting holes, helped by road grit and lack of lubrication, is what causes the wear and elongation. Doesn't help you right now, but it's something to be aware of. Even my 2020 EFI 500  has this free-floating spindle arrangement. The spindle is only retained by a split pin (cotter pin) and washer at each end. It can still rotate in its mounting holes. RE never quite got around to fixing this issue after all these years.
So, in an attempt to nip this potential problem in the bud, I decided to carry out my own modification to prevent rotation of the centre stand spindle on my new C5 EFI before I had even ridden it. (see IMG_1013a.jpg)
I will try to post some more pictures later.

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: August 16, 2021, 06:58:30 pm
Good stuff, thanks!  I will check to see if my mount is integral to the frame or not.  If so, I wonder if the replacement mount could be used as a sort of reducer/face plate on top of the integral mount, and just cover and reduce the elongated holes?  If not, maybe some sort of reducer sleeve from the oddball hardware drawers at Home Depot?  Your welded solution is no doubt the best, so unless there is an easier and less expensive fix, I'll probably get it welded.  Given the acute angle of my stand, I will be surprised if the mount holes are not elongated.  Thanks again!

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: August 17, 2021, 01:18:00 pm
I would be remiss not to also thank mrunderhill1975 and AzCal for first broaching the subject of stand angle and elongated mounting holes.  It only took 3 impressions for this to finally sink into my dinosaur brain, and I appreciate the persistent effort to get my attention!  Hopefully, I will have time to give it a look-see today and report back.  Thanks to ALL!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 03:47:56 pm
This has already been suggested, but maybe the stand's pivot holes in the frame have become elongated, allowing the stand to go too far over centre.

Everything you say is correct. And it would mean you also have to LIFT the bike as you move the bike forward. I can no longer even GET my '08 on the centerstand as of this summer. Just barely last year. Which adds all kinds of worries for me all of which require too many words to explain so I just won't.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GBT

• Scooter
  • England, UK
Reply #38 on: August 18, 2021, 11:33:31 am
        Everything you say is correct. And it would mean you also have to LIFT the bike as you move the bike forward. I can no longer even GET my '08 on the centerstand as of this summer. Just barely last year. Which adds all kinds of worries for me all of which require too many words to explain so I just won't.
I'm a few years younger than you are, sir, but I too find it difficult to accept that I can no longer do what I was able to do when I was twenty-one. I can just about handle the weight of my C5 Classic EFI. In my humble opinion, 195kg/430lbs is too heavy for a five-hundred single, especially when you remember that the iron-barrel Bullets weighed in at 163kg/360lbs.
As you imply, just getting the bike onto its stand can be hard work. Retracting the stand and lowering the bike down on to its wheels can be even harder, as we know from reading all the comments here. Many new motorcycles today are no longer fitted with centre stands. Maybe the reason for this has something to do with the enormous weight of modern machines. We are all getting older, but at the same time all the bikes are getting heavier!
It could be that the centre stand on your 2008 (EFI?) has developed some play in the pivot, possibly the two holes in the frame are elongated. This would result in a sloppy stand which goes way over centre and allows the rear wheel to sit on the ground. This could be the problem experienced by Geezer in the original question. If this is the case, it will be extremely hard to retract the stand, as it simply wants to slide forwards.
I have found that if the stand goes just over centre when it is deployed, so that it is a few degrees from the vertical, the bike will simply roll off with a fairly gentle push forwards. No heavy lifting required.
So, if the stand pivot is worn, I guess the only solution is to eliminate the excessive play, possibly by welding the elongated spindle holes in the frame and/or new parts.
I bought a new C5 EFI Euro IV model last year, and the first job I carried out was to modify the centre stand to prevent the pivot pin, or spindle, rotating in its mounting holes in the frame and wearing them out. I may not keep the bike long enough to judge whether the modification actually works, but I wasn't happy with the stock design and could foresee possible problems ahead.
I will try to post some pictures later.     

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 12:25:18 pm
I'm a few years younger than you are, sir, but I too find it difficult to accept that I can no longer do what I was able to do when I was twenty-one.

No, I don't have any problems with the physical centerstand itself; no oblong holes or anything like that. It still works perfectly

I have Zero problem rolling it down Off the stand. My whole problem is simply weakness & pain trying to get it On the stand..

I have two genetic anomalies from birth (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome & scoliosis) that have been working their evil on me for 83 years & have had me in daily pain since Jr. high school.

I've never had a day without pain. But have always fought back. My best weapon was always free weight workouts & constant awareness of posture, etc.. Had a set of Weider weights under my bed when I was 13 & was faithful to alternate day workouts until about 1974. Next was a SoloFlex until it even became too difficult to change the rubbers.

I have been able to fight back against it by never giving in to it & all kinds of exercise (from 12 yrs old) from free weights to SoloFlex to Nordic track to Health Rider to a treadmill that has been right here in my living room for 15 years.

Anyway. The past 20 years have seen an increase in the rate of the increase in pain & connective tissue deterioration + a rapid increase in the scoliosis curve (I've gone from 5' 7" down to 4' 11" over the past 15 years which causes all kinds of increases in nerve & structural damage & pain. And as your ability to exercise decreases due to pain that you give in to, you lose muscle mass.

Last year I could get it on the stand with pure stubborn will power. This year no way. The whole body rebels now & I just cannot overcome it with will power or pure damn stubbornness. My shoulders have been dislocating my whole life & for years now just the weight of the arm will do it if I'm not constantly on guard. Reaching out or up is practically impossible now, with either shoulder.

I'm a total F-ing mess, but I still fight it as much as I can every day.     
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:34:56 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GBT

• Scooter
  • England, UK
Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 03:01:36 pm
Please forgive me for making incorrect assumptions. I hadn't realised you were suffering to this extent, and I just assumed that the centre stand itself was partly to blame.
There's nothing I can say to make it any better except to repeat what you have already said - keep fighting, and keep sharing your interest in motorbikes with us all.
Best wishes.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 18, 2021, 03:22:35 pm
Please forgive me for making incorrect assumptions. I hadn't realised you were suffering to this extent, and I just assumed that the centre stand itself was partly to blame.
There's nothing I can say to make it any better except to repeat what you have already said - keep fighting, and keep sharing your interest in motorbikes with us all.
Best wishes.

Oh, please, please, no apology necessary. I didn't mean anything personal with what I wrote. I just thought you confused me with the guy who has oblong pivot holes and can't get his bike Off the stand.

I don't like talking too much about these two evil things that are eating me alive from the inside out because it's such an all-encompassing thing & it's impossible to explain what lifelong daily chronic pain does to a person. I almost wish I had not said as much as I DID say.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 03:37:20 pm
My '14 535 CGT was a bastard as well. The stand went too far over centre and skidded along the floor. The solution was to machine up a pair of small bushes that fit over the two pins that the weight of the bike rests on when it's on the stand. The bushes stop the stand over rotating so it stands more vertically. It pretty much just rolls off now. I can sit on the bike and rock it forward and UT rolls right off.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

GBT

• Scooter
  • England, UK
Reply #43 on: August 18, 2021, 05:02:41 pm
           Oh, please, please, no apology necessary. I didn't mean anything personal with what I wrote. I just thought you confused me with the guy who has oblong pivot holes and can't get his bike Off the stand.

I don't like talking too much about these two evil things that are eating me alive from the inside out because it's such an all-encompassing thing & it's impossible to explain what lifelong daily chronic pain does to a person. I almost wish I had not said as much as I DID say.
Sometimes it helps to share your pain with others, and you clearly want to talk about it. We are all listening and we share your pain. There are times when a bit of moral support can help in some small way. We can't make the pain suddenly go away can we, but we all have a common interest on this forum, and just talking about motorbikes brings us together and keeps our minds occupied by something positive. Such as - what is the next **** thing I shall have to fix on my Royal Enfield?
Keep fighting.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: August 18, 2021, 07:41:18 pm
"My '14 535 CGT was a bastard as well. The stand went too far over centre and skidded along the floor. The solution was to machine up a pair of small bushes that fit over the two pins that the weight of the bike rests on when it's on the stand. The bushes stop the stand over rotating so it stands more vertically."

Simon, I did the same thing and it worked for several years, but eventually, the steel tab reinforcements deformed as did the rear engine mount plates. Finally, I resorted to welding hardened steel washers around the deformed holes. My welding skill was of the 8th grade shop class variety but is still working well. However, if a new plate is available from Mr H, it is easiest to buy new.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 07:49:01 pm by mrunderhill1975a »