Author Topic: mobile phone mount recommendations for Continental GT?  (Read 2571 times)

LAcaferacer

• Scooter
I installed the USB charger on my fork that plugs into the accessory dongle in the headlight.  Curious if anyone has a specific mount they like for Royal Enfield. I'm still on iPhone 8 but will probably want adjustable for when I upgrade my phone. Suggestions appreciated.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 12:34:35 pm
I installed the USB charger on my fork that plugs into the accessory dongle in the headlight.  Curious if anyone has a specific mount they like for Royal Enfield. I'm still on iPhone 8 but will probably want adjustable for when I upgrade my phone. Suggestions appreciated.
Hi LARacer - I spent most of my life working and living in LA. BSASoCal! It was in LA I rode my first Royal Enfield!
  I use Ram Mount 1" ball. I use bar end mirrors. That leaves the mirror mounts open. Figure using a set up identical to a Yamaha. That means the mount balls use an M8 x 1.25 hardware mount to give you the base ball. Keep in mind, one of them is a left hand thread. With those attached, your next piece is a 2" or a 3" double-sided clamp. Use the Ram X mount and you're done.
  Here's some pix.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

LAcaferacer

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 04:18:56 pm
Thanks for the photos, I do like your clean installation.  I have bar end mirrors also, so will copy using the original mirror hole for mounting. 

On a local note, you are not missing much in LA, as traffic has returned and all the popular riding spots are overrun with people cooped up from the pandemic.  Or, conversely, the more the merrier!

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 05:39:42 pm
Installed a similar phone mount on my daughter's 620 monsters original left mirror mount using "blanking screw" from CMW.

PS.  Where did u get / who makes the handlebar adapter mounting plate I see on ur GT.  Tnx hp

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 06:33:38 pm
Installed a similar phone mount on my daughter's 620 monsters original left mirror mount using "blanking screw" from CMW.

PS.  Where did u get / who makes the handlebar adapter mounting plate I see on ur GT.  Tnx hp

HP - I thought everyone knew about these Hitchcock risers!
  The trick #s are the Yamaha handlebars and their bar ends. I'll have to look them up.

Bars - Yamaha 5VX-26111-11-00

Bar ends -
Yamaha 51J-26246-01-00
These parts are listed under this model - 2009 Yamaha FZS6YB

Cheers,
Bill
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/front-forks/34219
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 06:49:02 pm by Guaire »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 08:00:35 pm
Thanks for the photos, I do like your clean installation.  I have bar end mirrors also, so will copy using the original mirror hole for mounting. 

On a local note, you are not missing much in LA, as traffic has returned and all the popular riding spots are overrun with people cooped up from the pandemic.  Or, conversely, the more the merrier!

I worked in Hollywood and lived on the west side. Just drive up and down on Kenter Avenue!
  For 13 months I lived at the south end of San Pedro. There should be some open roads down there!

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 07:24:29 pm
A very important point : your future phone will most probably include a camera with optical image stabilization.

This kind of camera will be destroyed by the engine vibrations if rigidly attached to the bike... Especially if the engine is a single cylinder... especially if the single is a RE EFI  ;D

You need a vibration damper to keep a modern phone intact. A lot of people have destroyed their phone cam like that... myself included  :'(

QuadLock and SP Connect mounts can have this kind of optional damper. You also have additional accessories like wireless charger, adapter to plug it to the bike battery...

A QuadLock with the vibration damper attached to the handlebar :

SP Connect Chrome with damper :

Quadlock mixed with 1" ram mount :

Stem mount + vibration damper :

Quadlock with wireless charging module and damper :

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 07:37:21 pm
Hi Taurim - I run an iPhone 11 Pro with a three lens camera. It's working fine.
  Lately, it's been quite handy working with my BeeLine GPS. The Beeline is a little round interface that points your direction and distance. The phone app shows the route. One thing I like about it is - I don't have to punch in an address. I just poke a position on the map and it's routed.
  What's handy is the 'no highway' preference. In the DC area we have plenty of what are called interstates with plenty of whacky drivers. It's a good system for keeping out of potential harm's way.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:39 pm
I own an iPhone 11 Pro and I destroyed the OIS after attaching the phone directly to the 535  ::)

Luckily for me it was replaced under warranty  ;D

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 07:57:35 pm
By the way I even built my paranoïd anti vibration system by assembling a wire damper, a 1/2" Ram mount and a quadlock  ;D

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:00:05 pm by Taurim »

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 03:37:43 pm
Have a look at the Ultimate Addons website, quality products and good value.
I use one on my bike, with an iPhone 8.
https://ultimateaddons.com/pages/motorcycle