Author Topic: A Ride In and Around Taos New Mexico  (Read 2175 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 22, 2021, 01:22:04 am
I stated by coming out of the mountains and out into the high desert valley to the Rio Grande river gorge (600' deep) and stopping at the picnic area  to take a picture looking east to the Sangre de Christo spur of the Rocky mountains where I live. Back to town and to the Martinez Hacienda a fortified enclosed adobe home built in the early 1800's that among other things hosted the mountain man and fur trapper rendezvous of that time period. From there I went to the Mabel Dodge Luhan house built in the early part of the last Century like most old building here out of adobe bricks. Dennis Hopper owned it in the 1960's and lived there during the filming of Easy Rider. The movie bikes were stolen from there after the film wrapped up never to be seen again. Next stop a large metal building that is a warehouse for an art gallery, a lot of artists live in Taos and some pretty wild Murals can be found here. Last stop is the gravesite of Dennis Hopper. He was laid to rest here in 2010 in a very simple setting in a Morada graveyard. I saw Easy Rider in 1969 when I was fourteen and it set me on a path with motorcycles that continues to this day. Little did I know at the time that I'd end up living where Dennis did and a portion of the movie was shot.

[/img][/img][/img]

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:47:20 am
Although a couple of folks I'd met suggested I'd enjoy it, I regret that I never did get up to "artsy-fartsy Taos" during my travels thereabouts in the '90s.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:31:00 am
Looks like a bit of Paradise to me... 8)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 02:48:07 am
Taos has been good to me, I made my living here as a building contractor and have been retired 2 years now and have a little more time to enjoy it.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 01:12:04 pm
I like the ride to Eagle Nest then HWY 64 east through the canyon to Cimarron is a very beautiful ride.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

YOUR NAME HERE

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 10:55:10 pm
I stated by coming out of the mountains and out into the high desert valley to the Rio Grande river gorge (600' deep) and stopping at the picnic area  to take a picture looking east to the Sangre de Christo spur of the Rocky mountains where I live.
Lived in that end of the country (Tucson AZ) about 20 years ago. Was a long-distance bicyclist at the time: this was long before I gave a damn about motorbikes. Now back east & seriously craving a return trip to moto the hell out of the area.

Sangre de Christo did offer some great hiking (methinks the one we did was called El Penitente) .. something very trippy about hiking up beyond yr.natural oxygen level & running into a random llama. Beautiful stuff. Great ride, cheers...

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 07:17:38 pm
I appreciate the comments and video's It's fun to see some of my favorite rides on my screen. Yes the hiking  here is great too, the wife and I try to get out every Sunday for that.  Last weekend we hiked in the hills surrounding OJO Caliente to the ruins of a 700 year old Indian Pueblo, pot shards and artifacts everywhere, There is  something special about poking around in pre- Columbian ruins in a remote quiet area, you can feel the presence of the former inhabitants.  Not perfect by any means but NM grows on you, I hope to live out my days here.