Author Topic: Thorspark fitment issues on Vax Interceptor  (Read 871 times)

benebob

• Scooter
on: May 28, 2021, 08:52:14 pm
I am having a heck of a time trying to fit a thorspark on my 700 Interceptor to the point I nearly done after 40-50 hours.  Sussex has been less than helpful sorting.  Hooking the thing up was easy.  Hardest part was mounting the coil.  Problem is following their timing instructions it says to while advanced on the manual advance find TDC, mark it on the alt. and put a marker to that spot.  Find the specified advanced which should be 3/8"-7/16" before TDC mark that then put the magnet in lined up with the "marker" line on the pick up.  Have done this 10-20 times and all I get is a violent kickback and occasionally a pop in the exhaust.  So much so my good foot is bruise.  Yes I have it retarded, if you spin the crank by hand it sparks dead on the TDC retarded and dead on the 3/8" mark when the lever is advanced.  Have gone about 5 degrees in either direction with the placement of the magnet which at 1/2 speed for the mag is quite a lot.

Had the bike running fairly well with the mag (when it was cool and wanted to spark) until the spark finally gave up the ghost.  Plan is to have it rebuilt over the winter but the Thorspark i was hoping would give me the summer to sort the thing.  Both plugs fire at the same time with this system so you can't have the wires on the wrong cylinders.  Haven't changed the timing from when it was running.  Anybody have an thoughts other than how long of a match i need? :) 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 06:54:28 pm
Sorry you didn't get a reply. I would suggest one of three answers.

1. Forget about trying to convert the magneto, get it rebuilt instead and time it by the manual. I'm assuming it's a Lucas K2F?

2. Forget about trying to convert the magneto, find a replacement that works, make sure it rotates in the correct direction, clock-wise from the drive end.

3. Forget about trying to convert the magneto, buy a replacement points drive assembly, e.g.:

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffypazon.htm

You can probably source something like this a little nearer to home.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:33:39 pm
He did get it running. He was sent the wrong coil and there was another problem he may chime in with.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor