Author Topic: E-Bike developments  (Read 109141 times)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #270 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:35 pm
Rather the whole point of the Jetson1 was to give the feckless a way to get airborne. Piloting an actual manually controlled aircraft is a whole 'nother thing that joyriding in an automated skycycle. If you want to get airborne rapidly & cheaply & survive, get a Cosmos Trike or other flex-wing aircraft. Starting off in a rotary wing isn't a recipe for success. To assume that the Jetson1 folks haven't built in redundancy means you didn't read the literature on their site. You don't sell $100K toys to the wealthy without covering your litigious-prone ass.

Well, a rocket parachute ejection system is probably on board, won´t do much good unless you are 200-300ft. above ground. Anyway, nice effort, interesting to see.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #271 on: October 26, 2021, 01:06:21 am
At low altitudes the 'chute covers the wreckage & sops up blood.... :o
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #272 on: October 26, 2021, 06:00:41 am
For the other half of the money you probably could get it to fly legally as well.  ::)

The 102 kmh (55 knot) IAS exactly matches the US 14 CFR Part 103 regs - so am pretty certain it has been designed to comply with part 103 regulations in the US which means:
No licence or registration required to legally fly it in the US subject to the following restrictions:

• cannot be flown except between the hours of sunrise and sunset.
  • may be operated during the twilight periods 30 minutes before official sunrise and 30 minutes after official sunset if the vehicle has an operating anti-collision light visible for at least 3 statute miles
  • flight can only take place in uncontrolled airspace
  • cannot be flown over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons

So basically legal to use for recreation in remote areas during daytime.
Definitely not legal to do night time Pizza delivery in Manhattan with it.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:13:41 am by GlennF »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #273 on: October 26, 2021, 02:07:37 pm
The 102 kmh (55 knot) IAS exactly matches the US 14 CFR Part 103 regs - so am pretty certain it has been designed to comply with part 103 regulations in the US which means:
No licence or registration required to legally fly it in the US subject to the following restrictions:

• cannot be flown except between the hours of sunrise and sunset.
  • may be operated during the twilight periods 30 minutes before official sunrise and 30 minutes after official sunset if the vehicle has an operating anti-collision light visible for at least 3 statute miles
  • flight can only take place in uncontrolled airspace
  • cannot be flown over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons

So basically legal to use for recreation in remote areas during daytime.
Definitely not legal to do night time Pizza delivery in Manhattan with it.

Darn! There goes my plan for fast pizza delivery in San Francisco.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #274 on: October 26, 2021, 06:09:47 pm
Rather the whole point of the Jetson1 was to give the feckless a way to get airborne. Piloting an actual manually controlled aircraft is a whole 'nother thing that joyriding in an automated skycycle. If you want to get airborne rapidly & cheaply & survive, get a Cosmos Trike or other flex-wing aircraft. Starting off in a rotary wing isn't a recipe for success. To assume that the Jetson1 folks haven't built in redundancy means you didn't read the literature on their site. You don't sell $100K toys to the wealthy without covering your litigious-prone ass.

I don´t know, there are man that got it and there are man that don´t i guess.  ::)

..how about an gyrocopter.

https://youtu.be/EpwIwUb5j3Q

..or this.

https://youtu.be/iN0jFN8NS3Y

well I suppose it´s NOT the FUTURE.  ::)  ...that´s decided by Greta and Dr. Evil.  ;D

I would concider both those concepts safer with a higher degree of free movement than tha JETSON 1, however maybe many people may feel safe those days about the fact that a computer is on board as well as the rocket launched parachute.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:20:34 pm by derottone »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #275 on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:33 pm
An interesting vehicle that is limited to being earthbound, and that has a price that isn't out of orbit for an average Joe, is the Kollter ES1-S (Street) and ES1-X (Enduro).

Already available in the US from Naticycle, and priced just under $6K, with a 12kW, centrally mounted motor and a 72V, 25.6 Ah battery, the ES1 is capable of an 80 mile range and speeds up to about 60mph.  Base weight is 220 lb.  Adding a 2nd, 32 Ah battery allows a higher ~72mph top speed and longer range.

75% charge can be achieved with the 15amp charger in 2 hours.  100% will take up to 5 hours.   I'm pulling the numbers in this post from all three links below, and they don't agree, so these are a bit of mish-mosh.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/26/north-americas-most-affordable-70-mph-electric-motorcycle-is-already-here-and-no-one-noticed/
http://www.kollter.com/es1.html
https://naticycle.com/ols/products/kollter-es1-s-5kw-2x72v32-batteries1

If I was a NEW motorcycle buyer, and given my current, "commute to work" usage pattern, a machine like this could be a real contender.  My round trip daily ride is under 15 miles, at speeds under 50mph.  This bike could handle that, easily.  Perhaps the best value in an IC engine machine to do the same job would be something like this Genuine Buddy 170i scooter, that I can buy here direct from their Chicago based importer for around $3300.  http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy170i.html

I'll calculate the break-even mileage, assuming smooth running, and no major repairs required for either machine.  I'll assume gas prices at $4/gallon.  I paid more than that filling my Honda today.   I suspect gas prices will be considerably higher before the break even period is finished, but lets keep the calculation simple.  Let's assume that licensing, taxes, and registration is the same for both machines.

The Kollter will go about 700 recharge cycles before the battery is beyond hope.  I'll need to charge twice every three weeks or so, lets say 40 times per year.  That calculates to a 17.5 year life, which I'm skeptical of, but 8 years should be attainable with a little luck.  That's 8 years of 25Ah * 72V recharges, 1.8 kW per charge.  I think I'm paying about 13 cents per kwh and I'll say the charger is 85% efficient.  That's 27.5 cents per recharge, on which I can go about 60 miles.  The Kolter will cost me  2.2 cents per mile to operate.

The Buddy will get me 90 miles per $4/gallon of gas.  That's 4.4 cents per mile.  Scooters are cheap to ride.  Oil changes are costing me $30 every 2000 miles, which brings me to 5.9 cents / mile to operate the Buddy.

With the cost of the Kollter being $2700 more than the Buddy, I'll need to ride a lot of miles before I've paid that difference off, just about 73,000 miles, to be exact.

This differential will continue to move in favor of the electric vehicles over the next few years.  According to articles I've read, electric vehicle makers are predicting prices will be at parity within the next 5 to 10 years.  When purchase prices equalize, the economics of ownership, will go increasingly in favor of the electrics.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #276 on: October 26, 2021, 08:04:55 pm
This differential will continue to move in favor of the electric vehicles over the next few years.  According to articles I've read, electric vehicle makers are predicting prices will be at parity within the next 5 to 10 years.  When purchase prices equalize, the economics of ownership, will go increasingly in favor of the electrics.

Well, Bill schmuck Gates predicted a deadly virus about 5 years ago, in the end they had to release something in Wuahan to make him feel good about himself. I'm predicting that the EV's will engage some reverse gears as fast as we've not seen before.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #277 on: October 26, 2021, 10:31:13 pm
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:34:18 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #278 on: October 26, 2021, 10:36:58 pm
Don't forget the cost of insurance. Liability insurance could be expensive for a new flying machine with no track record that doesn't need to have a professional pilot flying it.  :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #279 on: October 26, 2021, 11:56:37 pm
Don't forget the cost of insurance. Liability insurance could be expensive for a new flying machine with no track record that doesn't need to have a professional pilot flying it.  :o

Part 103 ultralights (most of which are trikes) are all officially homebuilt. The reason this thing comes as a kit. Probably also the reason for the very limited range, they need to stay under the 103 weight limit.

It will likely have the same insurance issues as anything else made from a kit at home and flown without a licence in non controlled airspace under Part 103.

Note that this 103 thing is a peculiarly US exemption.   There is no way you get to fly something like this in Australia with out an engineering certificate,  experimental registration and some form of pilots licence.  I expect the UK and most other jurisdictions will be the same. The US is rather unusual in this regard.

Not a particularly practical vehicle more of a toy, though racing them might be a hoot.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:59:24 pm by GlennF »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #280 on: October 27, 2021, 07:27:43 pm
The pilot weight is limited to about 180 pounds, so running a 100 pound pilot gives you the possibility of either a faster bike or another 60-80 pounds of batteries for more range, fewer "pit stops", assuming the racing takeoff weights are normalized... :o

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #281 on: October 28, 2021, 06:31:11 pm

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #282 on: November 13, 2021, 05:33:31 pm
Another take on battery transport systems:
BBC: How high-speed electric vehicle racing is advancing tech
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59119103
Ms Gibson fully supports the development of new EV racing vehicles and the involvement of famous teams and drivers to spur electric racing on. "It is the future," she says. She adds that while some petrol-heads will always grumble about the lack of exhaust noise from electric vehicles, the visual spectacle remains thrilling.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #283 on: November 13, 2021, 06:39:07 pm
Another take on battery transport systems:
BBC: How high-speed electric vehicle racing is advancing tech
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59119103
Ms Gibson fully supports the development of new EV racing vehicles and the involvement of famous teams and drivers to spur electric racing on. "It is the future," she says. She adds that while some petrol-heads will always grumble about the lack of exhaust noise from electric vehicles, the visual spectacle remains thrilling.

I agree with her, and how about just going from A to B? I suppose that won't be necessary because everything will be virtual, from meetings to holidays in a holodeck. You won't have to travel anywhere. If you see your relatives in an virtual room it won't transmit viruses either. A holiday on the Bahamas in the simulator, wow and you can improve it anyhow you like from the people you meet to the weather. And you can keep endlessly pissing everyone off without heaving to fear consequences.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 06:46:52 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #284 on: November 15, 2021, 09:33:00 am
Kosynier delivers some new machines - fun pics.
https://kosynier.eu/blog/photorelation-european-grand-tour-kosynier/?__ca__chat=8JL6KyGd0SZ7

Kosynier & The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fEOLXLpATM