Author Topic: Himalayan Aluminium Panniers  (Read 11008 times)

JurS

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 09:27:17 am
It turns out that the HB racks for the 2021 model are not yet available so I may have to wait a while before I can order them. That gives me time to make up my mind what actually to do with the whole luggage question. On a daily basis I mostly just used the top box which is very handy to carry small things like the waterproofs and some visor cleaner whilst leaving space for some groceries. Its main purpose though is to have a place to store the helmet when I'm away from the bike. It is a big and rather heavy thing to have on there permanently though. An alternative might to use a soft tail bag and a helmet lock, or a soft tail bag big enough to take the helmet.

I will pick up the bike on Wednesday (with a 71 plate :) ) so still time to think about it.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 01:58:35 pm
Well, for small stuff I use my tank bag, see picture 1. It is from MOTO DETAIL and was around 20 Euro.

With it’s 4 magnets it fits well on the tank and can be used as a backpack.

For the Helmet I have a small lock, stored under passenger seat, see picture 2, around 5 Euro….
With this I lock my helmet on the luggage rack.

Regards

Toni
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:12:01 pm by Toni59 »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 02:28:41 pm
Toni59: Keep your eye on the condition of your fuel tank where the tank bag's magnets contact it. While magnetic tank bags are certainly convenient, engine and road vibrations of your bike will cause the magnets resting against the tank to create small scratches on the paint, especially if the tank surface gets a little dirty. I would recommend either placing some sort of paint protecting film on the tank under the magnet areas, or just pulling off the tank bag now and then, cleaning the paint surface and giving it a coat of wax before replacing the bag.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

JurS

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: August 28, 2021, 12:26:49 pm
Well I found a lockable helmet bag online and ordered it. Just locking the helmet to the bike would be inviting disaster on a rainy day! Hopefully this bag is waterproof.

I also got a message from HB saying that the pannier racks are now in stock, but not the top box carrier, so I ordered just the rack to begin with. Should get it in 2 weeks. That will sort out most of my luggage needs for longer trips.

When I get the bike on Wednesday I'll visit my local motorbike accessories store and look for a potential tail bag, tank bag and/or front panniers, for day tripping. Hopefully I can do without a tank bag, apart from possible scratch damage they are a bit of a nuisance when filling up.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 03:43:30 pm
Just be aware mate, that the Himmy rear rack is not able to carry very much - maybe a pack of cigarettes... without the ciggies. The alternatives are to brace it (involves welding and repainting) or something like Glen Fitzgerald's EeeZee rack which sits over the pillion seat.

I've used the Aldi tail bag quite successfully over the pillion seat, but seeing I also have the RE panniers, I now use an Aldi tankbag which I put in the panniers... unless my panniers happen to be full that day.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

TheWomble

• Neophyte
Reply #50 on: September 13, 2021, 12:35:13 pm
Glad to hear that the pannier racks are generally a bit off, I'm not alone then! I collected my new bike on Thursday evening and straight off camping with the bike.  Back home I've realised that I cannot remove the right hand pannier from the frame as the front top metal lug will not come out due to fouling the mounting bolt.  Looks like the mechanic at dealers had to use M6 rather than M8 bolts to the bike frame to force the pannier frame to fit. Going back on Saturday for 300 mile service and for them to look at the pannier issue.

Other than that, very happy with the bike, though running in is a bit of a pain, but maybe helpful in readjusting my mindset on riding the Himalayan!