Author Topic: Replacement Gas Tank On The Way  (Read 1906 times)

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
on: November 23, 2019, 05:01:15 pm
My Ravishing Red INT 650 came out of the shipping crate with a small chip in the gas tank paint, and the dealer has RE sending a replacement tank. I'm thinking of using Citri-Strip or Aircraft Paint Remover on the original tank to get down to bare metal and have some fun with a new refinished look.

I'm wondering if I can sand the metal to a mirror smooth finish and then clear coat it. Sort of like a poor man's Glitter & Dust chrome look.  I have no experience doing such a project so now I get a free pass to experiment. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 06:15:55 pm
My Mark Three had a chip in the tank also, likely from a test rider wearing keys on the belt. The dealer knocked $250 off and I was fine with it. They get chipped; I'm not going to sweat it. But great you got a free tank out of it.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:05:31 pm
My Ravishing Red INT 650 came out of the shipping crate with a small chip in the gas tank paint, and the dealer has RE sending a replacement tank. I'm thinking of using Citri-Strip or Aircraft Paint Remover on the original tank to get down to bare metal and have some fun with a new refinished look.

I'm wondering if I can sand the metal to a mirror smooth finish and then clear coat it. Sort of like a poor man's Glitter & Dust chrome look.  I have no experience doing such a project so now I get a free pass to experiment. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Great idea! The style you are talking about became popular with car guys a few years ago. Do I restore? After all it is only "original" once. Or do I just hope it doesn't deteriorate and leave it as is? What they came up with is a sort of arrested decay. They clear coat over everything including minor surface rust.

Anyway, Harley did something similar. They had a paint job that was rough sanded bare metal with some accent trim, like stripes or a logo, then clear coated over. You have lots of options. You could just paint it a different color and swap them depending on your mood, or actual chrome plating. They have some amazing metallic powder coat these days too. It looks like anodizing.

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 08:45:12 pm
Great idea! The style you are talking about became popular with car guys a few years ago. Do I restore? After all it is only "original" once. Or do I just hope it doesn't deteriorate and leave it as is? What they came up with is a sort of arrested decay. They clear coat over everything including minor surface rust.

Anyway, Harley did something similar. They had a paint job that was rough sanded bare metal with some accent trim, like stripes or a logo, then clear coated over. You have lots of options. You could just paint it a different color and swap them depending on your mood, or actual chrome plating. They have some amazing metallic powder coat these days too. It looks like anodizing.

After I posted above I started rooting around the web and there's lots of discussion about tank refinishing. Much of it seems to be cautionary tales of problems encountered trying to clear coat bare metal. So we'll see.

One of the things I want to do is put magnets on the backs of these badges (from an old and unrealized project) and then have a truly unique Swedish 650 twin. Probably the only one on my block!

2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 05:54:15 pm
Best be sure that RENA doesn't want it back
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 07:05:58 pm
Best be sure that RENA doesn't want it back

Hadn't thought they would even ask.
Good advice to make sure, thanks.

2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 07:50:16 pm
Hadn't thought they would even ask.
Good advice to make sure, thanks.

I know when I had warranty claims in the past the factory always wanted any parts back. But those were defective tire parts, not simply damaged. Harley even had the dealer slice the part in half so it could never be used again.

ROTENMEYER

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:19:46 pm

???
In Spain when the dealership replaces damaged parts with new ones in warranty period,
the damage parts become the property of the dealership