Author Topic: Hey Guys, watch this...  (Read 6616 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 02:56:17 pm
There are some disasters even the best maritime SAR in the world can't fix.

This from the BBC an hour and a half ago.

'Still a search and rescue mission' - US Coast Guard

Rear Admiral John Mauger, of the US Coast Guard, has said the operation to find the missing submersible is "still an active search and rescue".

Asked if he believes the oxygen on board will have run out by now, Mauger told Sky News: "We continue to keep the crew members and the families in our thoughts as we proceed with this search and rescue while we're cognisant of the time and we've factored in a lot of data and information into the search.

"This is still an active search and rescue at this point and we're using the equipment that we have on the bottom right now, the remote operated vehicles to expand our search capability, and then also to provide rescue capability as well."

The Titanic shouldn't still be claiming victims 111 years on, but I fear it is.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 03:07:55 pm
It is actually a maritime grave site. It is odd tourists ae allowed to disturb it.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 04:43:25 pm
It is actually a maritime grave site. It is odd tourists ae allowed to disturb it.
Why?  It seems to me to be a similar situation to Mt. Everest, where the bodies have become way markers, too remote and too difficult to retrieve.

https://skyaboveus.com/climbing-hiking/Worlds-Highest-Graveyard-Everest#gid=ci026e2bec90002744&pid=worlds-highest-graveyard-everest-MTc1MTI1NzMwMDA1NTU5MTA4

Eventually, tourists will be taking selfies in front of the bodies of the tourists who died looking at the tourists who died looking at the Titanic.

Personally, I'll save $249,970, and take the local tour.  https://www.architecture.org/tours/detail/graceland-cemetery/
    No bodies on display, but the air is free and there's plenty of it.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2023, 04:57:51 pm

Archeologists still digging out mummies, is that any different?

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2023, 05:12:49 pm
Search for sub has discovered a debris field.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2023, 08:40:40 pm
They found pieces of the submersible. It apparently suffered a catastrophic implosion. The debris field is located 1600 feet off the bow of the Titanic.  No bodies have been located yet.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2023, 04:25:14 am
There will not be anything large enough for the crew to recover to make it worthwhile.   :(

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 23, 2023, 07:51:49 am
Sort of a relief that it imploded.

The idea that they were stuck with limited air banging away on the carbon fibre hull when there were no realistic plans to save them, even if they were located, was a bit horrifying.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2023, 08:33:16 pm
Sort of a relief that it imploded.

The idea that they were stuck with limited air banging away on the carbon fibre hull when there were no realistic plans to save them, even if they were located, was a bit horrifying.

From what they said on the radio it imploded about 3/4 way on the descent, without any external trigger there wouldn't appear to have been an awfully large safety margin.

With some 5000psi pressure, might even be difficult to design the safety margin into that submersible, don't know if it's even possible to be honest.

Certainly I wouldn't hang myself on a bolt if there wasn't a safety margin of at least 3.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:47:48 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 24, 2023, 07:08:05 am
The carbon fiber epoxy matrix central tube is one candidate. A pinhole void or crack exposed to seawater at 5000 psi would have done the deed. CF is really a nice material, but maybe not for this application. Could have been that plexiglas port hole too. I hope the ROV finds something definitive on the bottom. With the violence of the implosion any human remains were likely atomized - at least it was quick.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #26 on: June 24, 2023, 01:36:44 pm
The carbon fiber epoxy matrix central tube is one candidate. A pinhole void or crack exposed to seawater at 5000 psi would have done the deed. CF is really a nice material, but maybe not for this application. Could have been that plexiglas port hole too. I hope the ROV finds something definitive on the bottom. With the violence of the implosion any human remains were likely atomized - at least it was quick.

It´s a fantastic material, straight out of fantasia, maybe a composite frame for your IB? If you x-ray it every 1k miles or so and scan it for cracks, that it should be fine.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 24, 2023, 04:39:17 pm
An aluminum 400cc-600cc "roller" sportbike frame might be a better place to start. I've seen them on Craigslist for $200 - $600 with brakes & suspension. Vacuum bagging up a CF monocoque frame for a 1930's engine might be too much lipstick on a pig, eh? An adapted 100 HP sport frame should have plenty of reserve strength left over for a 25 HP on a good day dinosaur-era power plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber_testing#:~:text=Common%20methods%20are%20ultrasonic%2C%20X,methods%20allow%20testing%20during%20application.Introduction
Carbon fiber reinforced plastic and reinforced polymers are gaining importance as light-weight material. There are various disciplines for material testing that especially apply to carbon fiber materials. Most common are destructive tests, such as stress, fatigue and micro sectioning tests. There are also methods that allow non-destructive testing (NDT), so the material can be still be used after testing. Common methods are ultrasonic, X-ray, HF Eddy Current, Radio Wave testing or thermography.[1] Additionally, Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) methods allow testing during application.

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #28 on: June 25, 2023, 12:25:51 am
I thought Graphene was the new wonder material !

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 25, 2023, 01:26:47 am
IF it was the CF tube, 5000 psi worming thru from outside to inside via a epoxy matrix crack could explain the implosion.

HP water propagating thru a cracked matrix could rapidly hydraulic chunks of CF off, weakening the structure. At a critical point the process rapidly accelerates and "bang". A saltwater mist inside the pressure hull at those pressures wouldn't give much reaction time.  :(