Author Topic: Washington State Bullet owners?  (Read 348629 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #480 on: July 10, 2011, 12:29:50 am
Thanks  :D

Bullet riders being the Bullet riders we are any one who is in the neighborhood would be welcome to join in the fun. How often do you get to this neck of the woods ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Hack

• Scooter
Reply #481 on: July 10, 2011, 05:52:13 am
I may or may not be able to make it.  The later in the month, the more likely.  I need to finish putting my Bullet back together. 
Glen/Port Orchard, WA
'96 Bullet 500 Classic 4 spd KS Black

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #482 on: July 10, 2011, 06:10:51 am
Hi Hack !

I like later in the month as well.

We still have three more weekends to go.

BTW give a shout if you would like a hand with your Bullet.

Parts chasing, grub scrubbing, whatever helps, I'm willing.

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #483 on: July 10, 2011, 05:37:04 pm
Thanks  :D

Bullet riders being the Bullet riders we are any one who is in the neighborhood would be welcome to join in the fun. How often do you get to this neck of the woods ?

Hello Ice
I was in transit at Bellingham on my way to Surrey for a wedding. It has the typical small town feel to it: Relaxed !! It was a pleasant change. On the return flight I saw Mt. St Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier. The last one is close to seattle. Now that would be a nice ride on a bullet. 

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #484 on: July 10, 2011, 08:52:30 pm
I could join up on the last weekend of the month as I have alternating weekends off. Or almost any alternating weekend.

However, our weather is nicest in Washington after the tourists leave... like in early September.

I note a few folks, that have taken the time to comment (as opposed to those that have not), would like to come, but are not able to schedule a July weekend. I believe that most folks need a bit more than 2-3 weeks to gear up for such a trip. What with work schedules and competing with coworkers for time off, and even gathering up the necessary gear for a trip. I know that it takes me every night of the preceding week to make sure I have all my gear cleaned, packed and ready. It's no fun to try to put all the gear together on a Thursday/Friday night and then get out there to try to make it all fit on the bike. (Ask me how I know this...)

I usually have to toss the kitchen sink out, repack the circus tent, change the air in the tires....

So, Mike, we might ask what would be a good weekend for the most people (that have shown an interest) to join in on the campout? Maybe July is pressing it? If they have a goal they can finish putting on he new sprockets, or changing the oil, or repairing the tent, or sweetening up the spouse for the time away, or....

When I was young I used to throw my leg over the bike and go. I'd sleep on someone's couch or wrapped in a poncho in a field. I didn't even carry much gear then. Heck, I went cross country (twice!) on the Beemer, with a pup tent, pad, sleeping bag, Boy Scout mess kit and some clean socks and skivvies. But now, at 60, I want a little more comfort, and I have a lot more responsibilities...

Just sayin'...
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #485 on: July 10, 2011, 09:20:01 pm
... But now, at 60, I want a little more comfort, and I have a lot more responsibilities...

Just sayin'...
Hey, I resemble that remark!   :D

But at what age does it turn back to "I just want to ride before I can't anymore..."
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #486 on: July 11, 2011, 03:39:05 am

we might ask what would be a good weekend for the most people (that have shown an interest) to join in on the campout?

Sure can !

At the may get together was where the suggestion for July popped up in conversation.

What week end of what month works the best for the most ?

Jest2dogs,

How long does it take you to ride to the Nick and back ?

What I am thinking is if some may not be able to camp it would still  be a fun ride out, grab a bite to eat and return home by a reasonable hour.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #487 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:00 am
To ride Seattle to Neah Bay and back in one day is at least 9 hours of road time. Also dependent on ferry schedules( if used enroute.) I don't think that would work for many folks.

Neah Bay is two hours from Port Angeles. I think folks forget that Olympic National Park is bigger than the state of Rhode Island and the Peninsula is much bigger than that. For me to drive (legally) to Pacific Beach is about three hours.

Forks is one hour west of PA.

Port Angeles to the Nick... The better part of 2-3/4 hours. If you hit the ferry just right.

1-1/2 hours road time from my house on the west side of PA to the ferry dock at Kingston.

Then there's hooking up with the ferry which is running about every 45 minutes. With a 30 minute crossing.

From Edmonds on 104 to I-5 and down to the 81 St. turn off is about 20+ minutes. Then, dependent on local traffic, probably 15 minutes to Aurora, south to the 47thSt (??) turnoff to drop down to Fremont and across to the Nick.

A ferry hint for those of you grabbing the Edmonds ferry. Motorcycles need not line up with that long line, waterfront row, of cars and ticket booths. Instead bypass all that hoopla, drive right to the dock (watch out for the train crossing, it is active!!). Park just off to the right of the dock "toll booth" (it isn't a ticket selling booth),walk across the wharf to the ferry terminal and walk in and buy a ticket. If no one is at the inside booth there's a little ticket dispenser/kiosk just inside the door. Go outside, present your ticket to the guy in the booth and motor to the front of the line.

Keep in mind that the ferry ride is windy. Put your tranny in first on the sidestand. Also, because of the wind the engine cools rapidly!! You may need cold start procedure at the other side. (I always get back to the bike well before we dock, prep everything and get it ready to kick when they allow us to "start yer engines"!)

Ferry schedules are available online. Here's the Edmonds/Kingston schedule:
http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?route=ed-king

Now, mind you I don't know where all are coming from, but I hate driving to downtown and using the downtown ferry dock, too hectic. The road from Kingston to PA is nicer ride. IMHO

-jcw
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #488 on: July 11, 2011, 03:21:06 pm
Hi EKT !

We haven't come to a consensus yet on which weekend or a departure time.

My two cents worth of suggestion are that the group link up In Seattle some time before lunch.

Usually when I go on trips with a sportbike group..we meet early (almost before breakfast) then head out. Remember you are on a Enfield and speeds of 60 max with frequent stops are recommended.  ;) ;D
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #489 on: July 13, 2011, 03:36:35 am
I called the Makah Tribal Council today to get the skinny on their "Recreational Use Permits".

The permits are $10 and available just about everywhere in Neah Bay. But ya' gotta' go to Washburn's General Store for the experience, so you might as well get one there.

Now if we were a van pool then one permit would cover all in the van but since we're on Two wheels, I asked them their policy. It is "Two bikes per permit". I suppose if we are a group, odd or even, we'd just chip in an equal amount to cover what's needed.

BTW Hobuck/Neah Bay campsites are one tent per$20 fee.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #490 on: July 25, 2011, 03:47:20 pm
Vintage racing at The Farm.  August 13th and 14th, we can meet Saturday morning at Vince's and rid out together.  It's a nice ride from Vince's to the Farm, or we can meet at the Farm.  Watch the Vintage Observed Trials, stay the night, if you like, and Sunday, watch the Vintage Motocross.  No charge for camping at the event.

See web sites for information.

http://www.ahrma.org/Calendar.htm#trial

http://www.ahrma.org/Calendar.htm#vmx

Royal Enfield people are good people.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:04:40 pm by Bill Harris »

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #491 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:16 pm
I have never been to a observed trials before. I will try to make it down if one of our semimonthly days of summer falls on that weekend.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #492 on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:13 am
holodeck
Just don't do what I did when I went to the observed trials a few years ago.

I was looking for a place to stand and have a good view when I saw a large bolder.  i'm talking about a BIG bolder.  The kind of granite bolder that has vertical sides on it.
It was about 8 feet tall and I didn't see any flags or anything around the area where it sit so I climbed up on top of it.
That wasn't easy but I ended up with a good view.

I was happily watching the riders going up and down almost sheer cliffs when I suddenly heard all sorts of yelling.  I turned to see why everyone was yelling and found that not only were they making a lot of noise but they were pointing and waving at ME.   That's when I figured out that they were yelling, "Get off of there!  Come over HERE!"

No sooner had I moved off of my perch to join the rest of the people than a trials rider rode his bike right up on top of the bolder where I had been standing!
He then popped a wheeley, turned 90 degrees, let the front of his bike back down and rode down the other side!

Even today it is hard for me to figure out how they manage to do things like riding straight up the side of a vertical bolder without the bike flipping over and landing on top of them, squashing them like a bug.

Have fun.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #493 on: July 30, 2011, 12:28:05 am
The bikes are too light to squash them like a bug. They're lucky to squash a bug!

Ah, for the good old days when Speedvision carried trials riding. Before Fux turned them into Nascrapvision.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #494 on: July 30, 2011, 05:48:27 pm
The bikes are too light to squash them like a bug. They're lucky to squash a bug!

Ah, for the good old days when Speedvision carried trials riding. Before Fux turned them into Nascrapvision.

Bare

They even had airplane and boat racing...

The only good thing about "step on gas, turn left" car racing is it puts money into Speed and that lets them put on motorcycle racing. I don't think it would pay for itself, yet.

A couple of years ago at MotoGP there was a trials rider putting on a show. He rode up the side of a semi trailer and stopped on top, then spun around and rode back down. Amazing! That's why I laugh when I see the "Trials" kit for the Bullet. Our engines weigh more than a modern trials bike.