Author Topic: visibility  (Read 9750 times)

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: August 02, 2020, 10:27:00 pm
Having had the same number of solo crashes as collisions with cars over 50 years, I don't think drivers are as dangerous to me as my own stupidity. Twice I was hit by other idiots on motorcycles.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:40:25 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: August 03, 2020, 01:06:52 am
Twice I was hit by other idiots on motorcycles.

Never had that, but got hit by a Kangaroo once in outback NSW the other side of Moree.

Luckily I had slowed down to around 60 mph just before it suddenly appeared and jumped into the side of my bike. I had spotted it and tried to accelerate past it so I just gave it a glancing blow with the front forks and side of the engine and kept going. It messed up the left hand pipe and foot peg a bit and knocked one of my engine bar mounted driving lights about but no other damage other than giving me a sore foot for a few days.

If I had made the mistake of braking it may have been a much more disastrous story :D

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #47 on: August 03, 2020, 01:35:28 am
Of course what you say is true.
However, we control our side of the transaction. Shutting off our own turn signal is free.
If someone is a habitual forgetter ... I'd suggest wiring your horn into the turn system.
Yeah I agree. I’m actually quite paranoid about leaving mine on. BTW- bloody spell correct! That was meant to say’Jimku’ not Jimmy. Keep getting caught out like that.
Cheers Steve
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #48 on: August 03, 2020, 01:54:32 am
Yikes, they're massive animals to hit at that speed.. How was the roo?

Never had that, but got hit by a Kangaroo once in outback NSW the other side of Moree.

Luckily I had slowed down to around 60 mph just before it suddenly appeared and jumped into the side of my bike. I had spotted it and tried to accelerate past it so I just gave it a glancing blow with the front forks and side of the engine and kept going. It messed up the left hand pipe and foot peg a bit and knocked one of my engine bar mounted driving lights about but no other damage other than giving me a sore foot for a few days.

If I had made the mistake of braking it may have been a much more disastrous story :D

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: August 03, 2020, 04:42:06 am
Yikes, they're massive animals to hit at that speed.. How was the roo?

It was a grey not a red but big enough.  It hopped away and disappeared.

As it sort of hopped into the side of the passing bike rather than the bike hitting it, it was probably OK.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 05:51:50 am
Having had the same number of solo crashes as collisions with cars over 50 years, I don't think drivers are as dangerous to me as my own stupidity. Twice I was hit by other idiots on motorcycles.
Likewise. Although my single vehicle failings have generally been going down under front brakes. Hail ABS! I’ve been collided with, deliberately and undeliberately run off the road, maliciously tailgated,
abused and threatened by car drivers, generally on my 65 km commute during the 90’s, and have needed to resort to violence on a number of occasions. But I’ll accept fault when it’s mine.
What I won’t accept is crap. And sanctimonious declarations, that some have made,that it’s always your fault are total BS.
Steve
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:14:51 am by Starpeve »

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 05:59:28 am
I truly believe that if you are riding a motorcycle and get hit, it is your fault for not paying attention.
Every time I get on my bike, before I even start it up, I sit there for a few seconds and say my little mantra over and over three or four or five times...
"EVERY CAGE DRIVER OUT THERE IS TRYING TO KILL ME".

I have taken every defensive motorcycle riding course I can find.
I ride scanning my surroundings just like a pilot, eyes always moving ... left mirror, ahead, right mirror, ahead, left mirror, ahead ... and so forth.
When changing lanes I NEVER just rely on checking my mirrors ... I TURN MY HEAD AND LOOK.
I slow to cross EVERY intersection ... slow enough to LOOK in BOTH DIRECTIONS and HAVE TIME TO STOP IF NEED BE.  And to hell with what color the light is.
If stopped at an intersection across from a cage driver, I DO NOT MOVE WHEN THE LIGHT CHANGES ... UNTIL I KNOW WHAT HE/SHE IS GOING TO DO!  I can't count the times some A-hole has been looking me right in the eye and turned directly in front of me!
I stay the hell out of people's blind spots and get positioned elsewhere as quickly as possible.
I never tailgate and will NOT ALLOW some A-hole to tailgate me!  I will slow until he is forced to go around me.
And so forth.

You’d last 10 minutes on Aussie roads, sunny jim. The riding style you’re describing would drive other road users into a murderous rage. Agreed caution is paramount, but if you can’t trust your mirrors and you still believe in driver’s blind spots ( your responsibility, not theirs) then riding a bike must be a terrifying prospect for you.
Cheers Steve.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: August 03, 2020, 06:21:27 am

I knew a bloke that copped a wedge-tailed eagle in the chest as it rose up from some road-kill. Fair square in the chest whilst riding 70’s Honda 750, just outside of Glossop, doing close to the ton. Came off badly, and the bike kept going for ages. Ended up in a field. I’ve hit a sparrow at speed, and I know what that felt like! Surprised he survived.
Steve

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 09:42:44 am
Here we are, back talking about birds again!  ;D

I hit a grouse with my shin many years ago in Scotland.  It really, really hurt!

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: August 03, 2020, 12:40:29 pm
You’d last 10 minutes on Aussie roads, sunny jim. The riding style you’re describing would drive other road users into a murderous rage. Agreed caution is paramount, but if you can’t trust your mirrors and you still believe in driver’s blind spots ( your responsibility, not theirs) then riding a bike must be a terrifying prospect for you.
Cheers Steve.

My thoughts exactly  ;D.. And I know that I have no free will, just like every other human animal doesn't either. My subconscious starts playing that same old game with me every time I get on a bike. LoL, but at least I know it. My only advice to new riders is "don't be an idiot, relax, enjoy the ride, you'll be fine" haha
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #55 on: August 03, 2020, 02:10:06 pm

I hit a grouse with my shin many years ago in Scotland.  It really, really hurt!

What kind of birds now? ;D
I am getting confused.
2020 Baker Express

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #56 on: August 03, 2020, 03:40:40 pm
I truly believe that if you are riding a motorcycle and get hit, it is your fault for not paying attention.

Well, bless your heart.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: August 03, 2020, 11:42:37 pm

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: August 04, 2020, 06:09:48 am

What can I say? I dig chicks!😁
Steve

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 11:54:19 am
It was a grey not a red but big enough.  It hopped away and disappeared.

As it sort of hopped into the side of the passing bike rather than the bike hitting it, it was probably OK.

I once hit a possum at open road speed which gave me a limp for a week or two. Bounced off my knee and hit my helmet as it attempted to enter low earth orbit. It too got up and ran off.  My older brother had a bad habit of tearing up our driveway, which exited into a cul de sac, on his Kwaka KL250. He did it once too often and got cleaned up by the neighbour's Labrador walking across the driveway entrance... dog was fine but he lost some skin.