Author Topic: visibility  (Read 9741 times)

chazinga

• Scooter
  • North Georgia, USA - 2020 INT650
on: July 31, 2020, 02:06:37 am
Hello all, new to the forum and to RE.  I've had my INT650 for a month or so and I'm loving it.  But in that time I have had more close calls / near misses in traffic than in years of riding other bikes.  Just the other day I was nearly taken out two different times by drivers who apparently just didn't see me.

I'm at a loss to explain this.  I'm wearing the same helmet / same gear as always.  Yes, the headlight is working.  Why am I so hard to see on this bike?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Current stable:
2014 BMW R1200RT
2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2017 BMW S1000R

Gone but not forgotten:
2015 Honda CBR600RR
2014 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Ducati Monster 1200S
2007 BMW K1200GT
2013 Honda CBR250R

Sharkguy

• Scooter
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:54:45 am
It's not that you are harder to see, it's that no one is looking at the road anymore. They are too busy messing around with their phones, eating, putting on makeup, and all the other BS that idiots do everytime they get behind the wheel. Even pedestrians are distracted, they are more likely to walk out into traffic and even into themselves or a hazard like a fountain. It's unbelievable but todays new reality. Also lots of people haven't been driving for the last few months so you can add that in there too. 

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:30:49 am
Where are you riding?
I would add that it should be not left up to them to see you ... you should be seeing them ... in plenty of time to keep clear of them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:34:26 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:31:49 am
Hello all, new to the forum and to RE.  I've had my INT650 for a month or so and I'm loving it.  But in that time I have had more close calls / near misses in traffic than in years of riding other bikes.  Just the other day I was nearly taken out two different times by drivers who apparently just didn't see me.

I'm at a loss to explain this.  I'm wearing the same helmet / same gear as always.  Yes, the headlight is working.  Why am I so hard to see on this bike?

What is / was you other bike?
I haven't had that experience on my RE but I do feel a bit naked. Lot smaller than my other bikes and none of my normal array of daylight LEDs.
Its just so good looking as is ... I've been thinking, in the back of my mind, that there must be a way to add some visibility lights without changing the theme. I've even considered some fork gators with a flexible strip of LEDs inside and peep holes. Too wacky, huh.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:18:04 am
In the early 80's i rode a white Suzuki GS450 for a while. Actually quite an underrated bike with similar HP to the INT 650  but I digress.

Anyway, it was a white bike and it came with a matching white helmet and my typical riding attire at the time happened to be navy blue nylon wet weather gear. In other words from a distance I looked like a highway patrol police bike.

Interesting thing was I had zero issues with people failing to see me on that bike. I was far more "visible" than when i was riding my much larger full faired XJ900, wearing flouro hi viz gear, with lights on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:21:14 am by GlennF »

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 05:37:00 am

I found that too coming from a full dresser Tourer. I think people in cars were treating me like a Uber eats scooter rider.  I have since changed out from my oem halogen headlight globe to a LED H4 kit from Stedi. I feel like I am being seen much better now, plus I can see much better at night. 50% of my riding is at night.
Steve from Victoria, Australia. MY22 Interceptor.

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 07:04:11 am
Riders of Police bikes get hit, if they aren't seen drivers aren't looking
2019 Interceptor

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 09:34:09 am
I found that too coming from a full dresser Tourer. I think people in cars were treating me like a Uber eats scooter rider.  I have since changed out from my oem halogen headlight globe to a LED H4 kit from Stedi. I feel like I am being seen much better now, plus I can see much better at night. 50% of my riding is at night.
Ive just ordered some 3m black reflective tape ( reflects bright white) to place strategically on fork legs, frame tubes etc. I'm pretty comfortable in traffic, but it's the dreaded side impact that scares me. I pretend NO-ONE is looking out for me, keeps me vigilant.
Steve
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:52 am
In the early 80's i rode a white Suzuki GS450 for a while. Actually quite an underrated bike with similar HP to the INT 650  but I digress.

Anyway, it was a white bike and it came with a matching white helmet and my typical riding attire at the time happened to be navy blue nylon wet weather gear. In other words from a distance I looked like a highway patrol police bike.

Interesting thing was I had zero issues with people failing to see me on that bike. I was far more "visible" than when i was riding my much larger full faired XJ900, wearing flouro hi viz gear, with lights on.
That's a really good point! Most of the fu#%wits manage to see coppers- it's in their best interest. It really shits me when I watch a driver evaluate you as they prepare to decide whether to pull out or not-sure as hell not going to do it if there's a semi bearing down on them but they're happy to take their chances with a bike.
Steve

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 10:12:53 am
The real change here is the mobile phone.
Not the general, basic distraction of hands free, but actually texting while driving. Meanwhile we get ads telling motorcyclists to ride responsibly. 

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 10:37:30 am
The real change here is the mobile phone.
Not the general, basic distraction of hands free, but actually texting while driving. Meanwhile we get ads telling motorcyclists to ride responsibly.
In Sth Australia, we have a licencing system in which new driver's are on ' Provisional ' licences for 2 years, indicated by a red 'P' plate in front and rear windscreens. I saw a young bird with 'P' plates not long ago, in peak hour traffic, texting with about 15 % of her attention on the road, occasional glances up then back to her lap. I watched her for some time, wishing I was able to carry a pistol in this country.( My wife was driving). She had a very new car, and I swear that every panel on that car had damage. Too fcuking easy to hold a licence in this country😱. I used to think the greatest driving sins were ' not indicating' and 'running red lights' . They have been usurped by mobile phones.
Steve
Oh, that and the fact that 50% of the nation is using methamphetamine...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:46:19 am by Starpeve »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 11:02:59 am
Long ago I came across this piece of wisdom:

"Everybody else on the road is trying to kill you until they prove otherwise.".

I hate mobile phones, even though I have one.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 03:13:17 pm
In Sth Australia, we have a licencing system in which new driver's are on ' Provisional ' licences for 2 years, indicated by a red 'P' plate in front and rear windscreens. I saw a young bird with 'P' plates not long ago, in peak hour traffic, texting with about 15 % of her attention on the road, occasional glances up then back to her lap. I watched her for some time, wishing I was able to carry a pistol in this country.( My wife was driving). She had a very new car, and I swear that every panel on that car had damage. Too fcuking easy to hold a licence in this country😱. I used to think the greatest driving sins were ' not indicating' and 'running red lights' . They have been usurped by mobile phones.
Steve
Oh, that and the fact that 50% of the nation is using methamphetamine...
As someone that ALWAYS carries, sadly it doesn't help... even shooting at them won't pry there attention from their phone, and ammo isn't cheap right now.  8)

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 08:17:58 pm
Long ago I came across this piece of wisdom:

"Everybody else on the road is trying to kill you until they prove otherwise.".

Amen....

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 10:24:07 pm
  Why am I so hard to see on this bike?

It is the bike. Better sell it ASAP. When I rode an ElectraGlide and wore a white helmet it was like Moses parting the Red Sea. Except for those two nitwits who hit me because they "couldn't see" me.  >:(

My last accident I was knocked down in the Walmart parking lot. I was on a scooter. Since I was concerned about visibility I had equipped it with an array of over 30 super bright LEDs and even added some to the running lights. He still couldn't see me.