Author Topic: Gear indicator  (Read 18205 times)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 07:44:55 pm
When running through the gears, up down up down, sometimes I lose track of which one I'm in. A six speed makes that worse because there's less to distinguish one from the next. Who cares if you are in third or fourth, but there have been a few times when I attempted to shift to seventh. Harley solved this by having a 6th gear indicator light. It saves wear on your boot toe.

I attempt to shift up from 6th all the time, especially because down here even our frontage roads are 65 mph speeds. I have driven a stick shift car for 25+ yrs, and currently drive a stick shift Subaru (not a WRX, just a stick shift Outback) with a gear indicator light on the instrument cluster. I don't need it. I have muscle/butt dyno memory of what gear I'm in, but I don't have that yet on the bike. It'll come eventually, I imagine. But a number/light would be nice.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 11:38:52 am
I attempt to shift up from 6th all the time

Me, too, and it never feels like I've been working my way up through the gears when I do get to 6.
Gears 4, 5, and 6 feel short. Some sort of indicator light on one of the dials would be helpful.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 12:41:55 am
Yeah, some people just love gadgets.  I'm working on a butt-indicator to tell the rider his butt is in the saddle.

With a bit of creative ghetto-modding you could easily get a fully functioning Apollo Command Module navigation computer onto the Interceptor.

Its the right period tech as well.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 13, 2022, 03:18:56 pm
Hi Everybody
In case anybody is interested I have had this info re the Interceptor from Healtech

....This kit should work great with your bike, part no.:
GPXT + GPX-U01

It requires tapping 4 wires (power, ground, speed signal, rpm signal) with the supplied quick wire-tap connectors .
Here is the install manual:
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/docs/GPX-U01_InstallGuide_en.pdf

For pricing and ordering information, please contact the distributor in your country:
  www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy

Can you tell me where you made the connection to the speed and tacho wires for your GPTX?
 i.e. @ the ecu, under the tank or inside the headlight shell. Do you remember what color the wires were?
 Thanks in advance.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #34 on: April 13, 2022, 04:22:32 pm
I'd love to have a gear indicator but that one is too ugly to put on my Interceptor.  Now if I could figure out a way to customize it...

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 13, 2022, 04:39:56 pm
I'd love to have a gear indicator but that one is too ugly to put on my Interceptor.  Now if I could figure out a way to customize it...
Your choices are few and far between…

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 10:30:08 pm
With a bit of creative ghetto-modding you could easily get a fully functioning Apollo Command Module navigation computer onto the Interceptor.

Its the right period tech as well.

That's some funny shit  ;D

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #37 on: April 13, 2022, 10:41:47 pm
My Guzzi V7 is the first bike I've owned with a gear readout but I rode it for a thousand miles before I even noticed it was there.
RTFM applies I guess.

Now after five thousand miles I can't figure out why anyone needs it.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 13, 2022, 10:43:17 pm
My Guzzi V7 is the first bike I've owned with a gear readout but I rode it for a thousand miles before I even noticed it was there.
RTFM applies I guess.

Now after five thousand miles I can't figure out why anyone needs it.
I think enough of us try to shift to 7th gear every day to explain the need.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #39 on: April 13, 2022, 11:31:57 pm
I never feel the need for a gear indicator but I sometimes wish my bike had an idiot light on the dash that illuminated for a few seconds when I hit top gear. Especially on my track bike. That thing always feels like it has 2 gears to go when it's in top 🙄.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 14, 2022, 01:04:33 am
I think enough of us try to shift to 7th gear every day to explain the need.
👍
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 14, 2022, 01:05:18 am
 ???hi
I never feel the need for a gear indicator but I sometimes wish my bike had an idiot light on the dash that illuminated for a few seconds when I hit top gear. Especially on my track bike. That thing always feels like it has 2 gears to go when it's in top 🙄.

Agreed 👍
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

JLewis

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: April 14, 2022, 09:54:22 am
The problem for me is that you become attuned to how your engine sounds and feels quite quickly, which means if I'm trickling along on beautiful lanes and tracks at 2,500 to 3,500 revs on a barely open throttle looking at the scenery, or doing something similar through towns and villages, that burble becomes the norm.

Then when I accelerate out onto a bigger, faster road the new busy-ness of the engine makes me reach for 7th as soon as I'm up to cruising speed.

This is nothing to do with lack of skill or experience, it's just how our ears compensate for new normals. Ask any studio sound engineer, there's an extremely limited time window in which we can maintain objectivity.

Of course if you always ride in a similar style on similar roads this doesn't apply, but some people's need for at a least a top gear indicator is not because they're idiots.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 14, 2022, 09:58:04 am
Hello all, thought you might like to see the small dashboard I made for my gear indicator. Three attempts before I was happy. I am really happy with my Interceptor. Done a few mods now.
I live in Cyprus, not a lot of rain during the year. As far as i know, I have the only one in Cyprus.

I like the Head Up Display you also apparently have :)
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 14, 2022, 10:50:06 am
The problem for me is that you become attuned to how your engine sounds and feels quite quickly, which means if I'm trickling along on beautiful lanes and tracks at 2,500 to 3,500 revs on a barely open throttle looking at the scenery, or doing something similar through towns and villages, that burble becomes the norm.

Then when I accelerate out onto a bigger, faster road the new busy-ness of the engine makes me reach for 7th as soon as I'm up to cruising speed.

This is nothing to do with lack of skill or experience, it's just how our ears compensate for new normals. Ask any studio sound engineer, there's an extremely limited time window in which we can maintain objectivity.

Of course if you always ride in a similar style on similar roads this doesn't apply, but some people's need for at a least a top gear indicator is not because they're idiots.
👍 Agree
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid