Author Topic: Gear indicator  (Read 18210 times)

fjrwheels

• Scooter
on: October 28, 2019, 07:10:44 am
Hello all, thought you might like to see the small dashboard I made for my gear indicator. Three attempts before I was happy. I am really happy with my Interceptor. Done a few mods now.
I live in Cyprus, not a lot of rain during the year. As far as i know, I have the only one in Cyprus.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:06:33 am by fjrwheels »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 01:03:38 pm
Really good job. Looks like plexiglass.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 03:27:16 pm
Hello all, thought you might like to see the small dashboard I made for my gear indicator. Three attempts before I was happy. I am really happy with my Interceptor. Done a few mods now.
I live in Cyprus, not a lot of rain during the year. As far as i know, I have the only one in Cyprus.

Nice work!.. Can you share some details, what, how etc.? Thanks.

I envy your location. Happy motoring  :)
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

fjrwheels

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:36:02 pm
Thank you. You are right. Reused an old smoked piece I found.

fjrwheels

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 03:38:50 pm
Dr Mayhem. I had an old photo frame with a smoked plexi glass front. Drew an outline round the gauges on cardboard and used a Dremel to cut out the shape. Took three attempts!!

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 03:56:54 pm
Do you have a link for the indicator?
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:31:06 am
How the gear indicator works means where to connect which wire sometimes I forget to shift to 6th gear ????
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:27:16 pm
How the gear indicator works means where to connect which wire sometimes I forget to shift to 6th gear ????

So I'll assume hokey add-on with external sensors rather than internally wired to access ECU data
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Sprinter

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:29:17 am
Looks really professional, can you give us some details about the gear indicator please as I would like to fit one myself.
Cheers.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 01:32:02 am
I don't really need a gear indicator but I sure would like a simple light to tell me when I'm in 6th. Sometimes I lose track.

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:05:28 am
This is just what I need and have ordered one to fit over the winter. With the interceptor engine being so flexible and my other bikes a RE 500 Classic (thumper) and a Honda CB650R (buzz bomb) I regularly lose track of what gear I'm in.
Question, what happens if you miss a gear, ie. you have to take 2 prods to get it to engage, does the indicator then show the wrong gear. You move the lever, the indicator registers a change but you have missed the gear and have another go (it happens to me on the odd occasion)
All I can think of is that you will have to stop, power off, reselect neutral and start over.
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee
2018 Royal Enfield Bullet
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:34 pm
If you have a reasonably accurate speedometer and tachometer, you can figure out your ratio.

Seems like a guy could paste a cheat sheet on his tank that shows rpm vs speed in the various ratios, until he trained his brain to just know.  The bottom line is that if the engine isn't in the rpm range that you want, you shift.  To my way of thinking, the only one position really need to be sure of is neutral.  I get a false neutral position between 2 & 3 on my 2012 C5.  Starting in 2nd can be embarrassing and hard on the engine.

I thought I needed a tach. on my C5 when I first bought it, but quickly realized that the sound of the engine is all the tach. I really needed.

I'm sure not enthusiastic about a gadget that counts shift lever pushes.  That seems unreliable as can be.  A gadget that is giving wrong information is worse than no information.  To reliably know what ratio was selected on a 5 or 6 speed gearbox, I think you would need at least 3 micro switches INSIDE the gearbox, plus a simple logic circuit.

To my mind, these gadgets, even from the factory, are just "sizzle" to sell bikes to the uninitiated, and one more thing to break, one more thing to take to the dealer for repairs, and one more thing to buy expensive replacement parts for.  I don't like power windows or locks in my car for the same reasons.

To know what engine rpm is preferred, it's worth taking a good hard look at your engines torque and HP curve.  For boat engines there's a 3rd curve, which gives fuel consumption vs. rpm, but that's found experimentally and only applies to a fixed ratio drive train and assumes consistent resistance ( not variable winds or currents).

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 08:49:21 pm
https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/tnt-04-multifunction-meter/

I had this on my Yamaha. It calculates the gear via RPM vs MPH. It's not rocket surgery. I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. The inputs are already there. The one for the Yamaha comes preprogrammed but they can all be reprogrammed. Accurate to within 1 MPH. It doesn't work at a dead stop because there's no MPH to compare.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 08:51:24 pm
I should add that the real reason to put one on a Yamaha Bolt is because the stock speedo is invisible in daylight. I wouldn't pay $300 just for the gear indicator.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 10:48:27 pm

Question, what happens if you miss a gear, ie. you have to take 2 prods to get it to engage, does the indicator then show the wrong gear. You move the lever, the indicator registers a change but you have missed the gear and have another go (it happens to me on the odd occasion)
All I can think of is that you will have to stop, power off, reselect neutral and start over.

I do not have an interceptor but on previous bikes that had gear indicators it seemed to directly sense the correct gear to display rather than " counting" up and down from neutral.