Author Topic: Sweden and California  (Read 76146 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #30 on: December 26, 2020, 07:58:23 pm
I was always interested as to why the "Commodities" system was abandoned. A family with 50 pounds of cheese, a 5 gallon tin of powdered milk, 100 pound sack each of rice & beans, maybe a tin of powdered eggs, that family will be able to eat if they have a hot plate or hibachi. Any extra money can be funneled to rent, clothes or transportation. Simply giving folks with limited financial acumen money and assuming they'll buy reasonable subsistence supplies seems doomed to fail. I see a lot of tattoos, touch-screen cell phones and vape hardware myself. I believe the commodities system didn't funnel enough money to the "convenience food" divisions of General Mills and lobbyists took care of the rest. A lot of useful warehouse & driving jobs were lost, and small farmers lost a steady source of direct basic income.

On the industrial welfare end, I'd really like to see the Bargaining Unit more involved with Management selection and retention in post. I've seen way too many Upgrades that within a few months choked off the parts supplies to the workers and cut back necessary overtime, primarily to pad their own year end bonus cheques, all to the long term degradation of the process equipment. Long Term degradation was paid for with "Capital" money, a different and lucrative process for the Company. Going further up the food chain, I don't like the practice of Upper Management NOT coming "up the ladder", so they have only a minimal grasp of their decision making on the entire process. Way too much short term "rape & pillage" going on in the USA.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #31 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:48 am
The issue is Muskie would be planting potatoes if we head actual money.

https://youtu.be/23NCVy04iV0

...all I need is some Uganda guy illuminate me how to build a plane. Wait a second,
where did I see this before?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacek_SD-1_Minisport

Guns, Germs and Steel.  ;) - Jared Diamond. Great Book.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:11:38 am by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 27, 2020, 06:29:51 pm

What were you trying to say here?
"The issue is Muskie would be planting potatoes if we head(?) actual money."
Some oblique reference to this?    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CDOC-104sdoc17/pdf/CDOC-104sdoc17.pdf

The Uganda fellow was making an effort. Survivable or not remains to be seen.

For a 25-35 HP engine, maybe this might have been a better choice:
https://www.pietenpolaircraftcompany.com/
At least you have a better chance of exiting an open cockpit in a hurry if needs be.

These folks make some nice kits also:
https://fisherflying.com/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #33 on: December 27, 2020, 07:09:36 pm
What I mean is, that there is nothing I'm happier to see than Musk moving Tesla to Texas. Equally happy to see the Battery factories he is building around with a donation of our great government. I bet it's going to be a huge success.  :)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 08:00:42 pm
So-Long Musk? Making potato batteries in Texas?

I'm 'wit you in that there isn't an infinite market for $100K grocery getters.

I dunno why we can buy a  $60K diesel Ford 15 MPG F3500 or Dodge equivalent, but can't buy a $15K diesel 60 MPG euro-spec econocar. If I can buy a 170 MPH motorcycle or motorhome with minimal seat belt / air bag requirements, a small fuel efficient car can't logical be a safety issue. All the major auto makers build them but they're not imported to the "home 'o free trade & competition" USA.

On a side note, the Dear Leader's crack Fox/OAN/NewsMax driven minion squad apparently just bombed an ATT building in Nashville because "5G" was going to mind control them. Seems like the first mind control communications stratagem might have been to send out a "don't bomb the telcom sites" memo, eh?
https://nypost.com/2020/12/27/nashville-mayor-believes-explosion-targeted-att-building/
Nashville’s mayor said Sunday that the city’s Christmas blast appeared to be an “infrastructure attack” on the AT&T building there — amid reports the suspect was paranoid about 5G networks spying on Americans.
The possible suicide bombing occurred near the local AT&T building, wreaking havoc on service in several Southern states, while also wiping out a number of locally owned businesses in the historic downtown area with the explosives-laden RV.
“The truck was parked adjacent to this large, historic AT&T facility, which happens to be in downtown Nashville, somewhat surprisingly,” Nashville Mayor John Cooper told CBS News’ “Face the Nation.”

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:14 pm
What I mean is, that there is nothing I'm happier to see than Musk moving Tesla to Texas. Equally happy to see the Battery factories he is building around with a donation of our great government. I bet it's going to be a huge success.  :)

Meanwhile the guy that owns Oracle has moved from Silicon Valley to a private island in the state of Hawaii.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #36 on: December 27, 2020, 11:20:28 pm
Meanwhile the guy that owns Oracle has moved from Silicon Valley to a private island in the state of Hawaii.

Seems like that vision of Klaus Schwab is happening: "You will own nothing and you'll be happy about it." Glad I don't own anything except of my RE, otherwise I would need to be moving all the time.  ;D

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 12:15:44 am
You guys are late - Ellison bought Lanai in 2012, Eight years ago. I'm sure $600 million in island has some property tax associated with it, so not quite nothing. This is just one of several homes the uber class cycle between. Meanwhile Derottone is apparently living out of a day-pack and tarp bungeed to his 535... :o Obviously the Cognoscenti are still excessively taxed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/lookout/oracle-ceo-larry-ellison-buys-hawaiian-island-lanai-162214094.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANJxdGyte1pLNg5R6TKYUep3sCbpnzMXgPGSbL4dCnaME3sOsh551_v_otDV8gbNCR9znd-Dkv1B7NdLlYXyMwLl-lrMr_9HvhYfqcU0jF7p_me-3hZcxLg2Kg4wUDgUjeJizWtvdxXAKfEBKDHI1xxfJ-OTKNwmG6Ouu5AMRQU4

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:58 pm
You guys are late - Ellison bought Lanai in 2012, Eight years ago. I'm sure $600 million in island has some property tax associated with it, so not quite nothing. This is just one of several homes the uber class cycle between. Meanwhile Derottone is apparently living out of a day-pack and tarp bungeed to his 535... :o Obviously the Cognoscenti are still excessively taxed.

...I lived in Sweden in between of anthroposophs and ridiculous window cleaning companies run by nordic commie overlords married to can't have enough agressive gretas they all thought I somehow owe them something.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:23:32 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 29, 2020, 05:49:53 pm
So you're STILL paying these taxes...? ???

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: December 29, 2020, 06:49:39 pm
I live in California. I and many of my contemporaries made out quite well with careers and investments in real estate. Some of us are back in California after moving to various other states to retire. Apparently, Maine, Montana, Colorado and even Idaho have drawbacks! Who knew?

In Maine I worked construction on a Victorian house using lead paint after joining cedar rain gutters with sheet lead. Yes, my hands were dull gray at day's end. Lifting float docks in winter involved an unlicensed 1950s boom truck that rained hydraulic fluid into the wind. Another job site was a commercial building where money was saved by omitting roof braces.  It was easy to do since no inspections ever happened. Mandated inspections could have saved a nearby family who perished when fire broke out in their connected mobile homes with a single exit. I was chastised by my boss for using a table saw guard. He pointed at me with the stub of his former index finger and got mad when I laughed.

The other repatriated Californians I know have similar tales. The grass IS greener elsewhere but I prefer pho and empanadas.

Lurker on a Vespa

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 08:02:11 pm
So you're STILL paying these taxes...? ???

....planning to become a government employee to make sure no Greta can ever enter this country.  ;)

....and if than only with a horse carriage or roof top solar cell powered vehicle, only cole generated electricity here.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:07:00 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 29, 2020, 10:28:30 pm
@ Stanley, #40: Right on brother. People building death traps and poisoning the ground they live on while avoiding the overbearing scrutiny of "Big 'Gummint". Run wild & free until there's nowhere left to go, right? THEN things get really sticky. Health care consisting of "Crawl away under a bush and heal up or die." I've worked with these guys for years - "get all there is to get & move on.". That strategy of existence only really works at the Stone Age tech level with about 1,000 square miles per person.  - ACR -

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/cuyahoga-river-caught-fire-least-dozen-times-no-one-cared-until-1969-180972444/

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 10:31:21 pm
I live in California. I and many of my contemporaries made out quite well with careers and investments in real estate. Some of us are back in California after moving to various other states to retire. Apparently, Maine, Montana, Colorado and even Idaho have drawbacks! Who knew?

In Maine I worked construction on a Victorian house using lead paint after joining cedar rain gutters with sheet lead. Yes, my hands were dull gray at day's end. Lifting float docks in winter involved an unlicensed 1950s boom truck that rained hydraulic fluid into the wind. Another job site was a commercial building where money was saved by omitting roof braces.  It was easy to do since no inspections ever happened. Mandated inspections could have saved a nearby family who perished when fire broke out in their connected mobile homes with a single exit. I was chastised by my boss for using a table saw guard. He pointed at me with the stub of his former index finger and got mad when I laughed.

The other repatriated Californians I know have similar tales. The grass IS greener elsewhere but I prefer pho and empanadas.

That's why they're called Mainiacs up there. Maine is a lot looser than much of New England. In our truck shop in CT among other things we had to remove the regulators from our oxy-act tanks every night in case the tank fell over, smashed the regulator and started a fire. The fact that the tanks were chained to a wall didn't seem to matter.  If you got caught bypassing a machine guard it could lead to your being fired. FWIW that was at Connecticut Light and Power (now Eversource) so we were a prime target for OSHA inspectors that needed to put a notch in their belt. I'm not saying safety devices and protocols aren't a good thing, But I am saying that all the OSHA mandated crap in the world is no substitute for common sense, and that in many cases government mandated safety devices are just so much bull shit that add cost and complication without solving the real problem.  I mean seriously, if you pick up a running lawn mower by it's deck and lose your fingers, it says a lot more about your intelligence (or lack thereof) than it does about the design of the mower.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:56 pm
@ #41: Couldn't quite make out the message there. Are you planning on working for the US 'Gummint? Which Euro Commie state do you presently live in? I've seen England & Ireland & France; Unless you move to Texas you are just treading water. Get over 'heah wit the real cowboys where you can run free a bit! Get that 535 up in the bed of an F350 and head to Sturgis!