Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalayan BS6 and upgrade for Hazard Lights  (Read 2793 times)

Toni59

• Bulleteer
As I have explained in an other topic I have just got my brand new BS6.
To my surprise it came without hazard lights.
I have no idea why they don‘t supply this in Germany... :(

I would like to upgrade this if possible in an easy way. Does anybody know how to do?

I plan anyway to upgrade the bike with LED flashlights and a load Independent Relais.

What do I need (just an additional switch?) and how to wire it to get in addition hazard lights?

Can anybody post a picture, where the switch for hazard lights is located (I know that in some countries the BS6 is equipped with hazard lights as can be seen in many videos e.g. from India) and how it looks like?

Thanks for any assistance...

Regards  8)
Toni

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 02:50:55 pm
I wasn't aware that any RE model had hazard lights.  ??? Even the new 2020 KTM 390 Duke that I bought 6 months ago does not have hazard lights. Are they a requirement in the EU? They are certainly nice to have, but I don't think motorcycle manufacturers feel that hazard lights are in a big demand from their customers and do much to sell their bikes.

Heck, my RE Bullet doesn't even have a trip meter, much less hazard lights.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 04:19:15 pm
Well, bikes are different  ;D

My BMW from 1997 has it already...

No, obviously it is not legally required in Europe, since the REH doesn‘ t have it.

But I think it is a safety feature, and if it is not too difficult to add I would like to install it.....

Regards

Toni  8)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 10:34:11 pm
The way my 2009 BMW F650GS hazard lights function is that you press both the left and right turn signal buttons at the same time. But then it uses the old BMW 3-button turn signal system, which many people don't like but I do.  :)

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:29:55 am
@Richard230:

Could you please explain how this answer helps in regards to a REH with its switching elements?

Toni

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 01:29:48 am
@Richard230:

Could you please explain how this answer helps in regards to a REH with its switching elements?

Toni

I was just wondering if there is some trick to using the turn signal switch that might make the hazard lights function on the BS6 models. I was watching a video evaluating the Himalayan BS6 bike today and noticed that all of the turn indicators were flashing as the reviewer was talking. So if there isn't an entirely new switch gear with a dedicated hazard switch like I have on my BMW R12RS and Zero motorcycles, perhaps there is some other way to trigger the hazard lights that just isn't obvious.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 05:19:10 am
I was just wondering if there is some trick to using the turn signal switch that might make the hazard lights function on the BS6 models. I was watching a video evaluating the Himalayan BS6 bike today and noticed that all of the turn indicators were flashing as the reviewer was talking. So if there isn't an entirely new switch gear with a dedicated hazard switch like I have on my BMW R12RS and Zero motorcycles, perhaps there is some other way to trigger the hazard lights that just isn't obvious.
Knowing RE, it was probably a manufacturing fault and the reviewer hadn't noticed yet  ;D
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 05:49:55 am
@Richard230,
Ah -  now I understand.
But also the German manual doesn‘t tell anything about hazard lights.
Which should be the case if it is not obvious to use...

I also couldn‘t find out of in those videos where the owners use the hazard lights any dedicated switch for that (the videos unfortunately don’t show the switching elements in detail)
I would have expected a modified unit left or right or an additional switch somewhere...

Regards

Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 06:52:51 am
@Richard230,
Ah -  now I understand.
But also the German manual doesn‘t tell anything about hazard lights.
Which should be the case if it is not obvious to use...

I also couldn‘t find out of in those videos where the owners use the hazard lights any dedicated switch for that (the videos unfortunately don’t show the switching elements in detail)
I would have expected a modified unit left or right or an additional switch somewhere...

Regards

Toni

How about these videos Toni?
Both Indian. One adds hazards, the other adds hazards and switchable ABS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1HjqTpGll8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72DqZA4jDE

I haven't tried either... because I don't have ABS and aren't that fussed about hazards on our roads.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 08:27:46 am
Hello Oldparth,
Thank you for this videos  ;D ;D

The first one is exactly what I was looking for and it seems not too difficult to install without major changes.
I will try this.

I must admit I did not understand how the second video worked regarding the hazard lights. I didn‘ t see the wiring here....

I am very happy, that the REH is so popular and that you can get a lot of help and mods.

With my Mash I had previously it was very difficult, since it was a rare bike.

Regards
Toni

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 02:02:55 pm
Check out the first couple of minutes of this review of the Himalayan BS6. The bike has flashing warning lights and appears to have a dedicated hazard light switch on the right handlebar, under the starter/kill switch. (Note the red triangle on the sliding switch):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioND9b_VHY

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 04:19:43 pm
Hello Richard230,

Thanks for the Link - you are right, you can see in this Video that the right hand switching unit is a different one. There is indeed an additional switch for hazard lights.

I would like to know why they don‘t sell this version in Germany.
  :(

The question is, whether that hack in the first Link from Oldparth still works with the version I have - it would be an easy upgrade.
I wonder if there is a risk of smoking something if you try this...

Regards
Toni

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 12:48:59 pm
Hello Oldparth,

Just to give you a feedback:

I have used your first link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1HjqTpGll8

It is easy to install and it works great 👍  :D
See pic 1

I have installed an additional switch, see pic 2