Author Topic: SLIDE SCHOOL!  (Read 1068 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: November 03, 2020, 09:04:50 pm
On Sunday I attended the Royal Enfield Slide School taught by Johnny Lewis. He's the guy that won the Daytona flat track race on a RE 650. RENA supplied the modified Himalayans that they call FT411. They also had any equipment you might need to borrow. When I started I wasn't sliding at all but after a few laps I was getting sideways! I never crashed but I did use muscles I didn't even know I had. The traveling school is done for the year. If it comes around next year I highly recommend you attend!

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 02:12:12 am
That is very cool and had to be a blast! Were these stock motor Himi's?
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 02:21:44 pm
On Sunday I attended the Royal Enfield Slide School taught by Johnny Lewis. He's the guy that won the Daytona flat track race on a RE 650. RENA supplied the modified Himalayans that they call FT411. They also had any equipment you might need to borrow. When I started I wasn't sliding at all but after a few laps I was getting sideways! I never crashed but I did use muscles I didn't even know I had. The traveling school is done for the year. If it comes around next year I highly recommend you attend!

There is a nice piece on the "Slide School" in this weeks Cycle News. As a former dirt tracker and current Himalayan owner, I'd be a little concerned about the stock Himalayan's height, weight and lack of horsepower, even the modified ones used at the school, but it does look like fun, and while I'm not a big fan of Lewis, he is a very good rider and I'm told a good teacher.
At the risk of sounding elitist, once you've ridden a real dirt tracker, riding a modified street bike isn't usually a whole lot of fun. But I'd love to cadge a ride on Lewis's Interceptor based race bike. That one's the real deal!