Author Topic: Valve Adjustment  (Read 413 times)

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
on: March 28, 2024, 02:21:40 am
I was surprised to find how tight the valves were when I took the cover off them today.

The intakes (all 4 of them) had "NO" movement with the engine stone cold and the exaust (all 4 of them) only had a barely feel able play.     This is the first time I've had the valve cover off .

The two Meteors (350+650) I have now are the second and third "New" bikes I've ever had .    The first was a Guzzi ... but ... that was a totally different animal ya might say .

Could it be that the valves seated deeper into the valve seats as the engine broke-in  and  in doing so loss all the free play they had ?   
Or
The factory just didn't leave enough gap to begin with ?   
The 650 is close to a thousand miles now.

Did you other fellers find the valve gaps to be too tight ?

I put them at .10mm and .20mm  instead of  .08 and .18mm  ,   there isn't any valve noise  and the bike seems to idle in 1st gear a little stronger now (no more lugging/jerking - on flat ground).

« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 02:35:07 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 02:51:11 pm
I was surprised to find how tight the valves were when I took the cover off them today.

The intakes (all 4 of them) had "NO" movement with the engine stone cold and the exaust (all 4 of them) only had a barely feel able play.     This is the first time I've had the valve cover off .

The two Meteors (350+650) I have now are the second and third "New" bikes I've ever had .    The first was a Guzzi ... but ... that was a totally different animal ya might say .

Could it be that the valves seated deeper into the valve seats as the engine broke-in  and  in doing so loss all the free play they had ?   
Or

I put them at .10mm and .20mm  instead of  .08 and .18mm  ,   there isn't any valve noise  and the bike seems to idle in 1st gear a little stronger now (no more lugging/jerking - on flat ground).

Your clearances or lack thereof is normal, and jibes with what the majority of owners have found. Once the valves have bedded in they should stabilize. I checked mine at 300 miles and all were snug. When I checked them again 6,000 only one needed any adjustment and at 12.000 miles they were right on the money. I'll peek under the cover at 18,000 and I expect they'll all still be damn close if not on spec.

Lammy1000

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 10:21:43 pm

Or

Royal Enfield first valve adjust is 300 miles.  Glad to hear your 1000mile adjustment frequency did no damage.  My 1st adjust at about 280 miles showed 1 exhaust valve that would not accept a 0.002" feeler gage (the thinnest available to me).  The remaining valves were tight.  Super Met runs great with only 950 miles as it should.  The AEW pipes sound better than a harley and encourage throttle increase out of the corners just to hear the motor.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 04:49:11 am
Thanks for the replies guys

Lammy - are those pipes only a little Louder ?     
When I put the de-cat pipe and the performance cam on my 350 Meteor the stock muffler  note got Really Sweet !
So
I'm guessing your new pipes are De-cat ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqG-tPYK5ho

zimmemr

Seeing your close to 3k post ... it seems you been here a while ! 

The Super Meteor hasn't been available more than a little while ?    That makes me wonder what other RE's you've had ? 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 04:59:39 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

Lammy1000

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 10:10:19 am
Thanks for the replies guys

Lammy - are those pipes only a little Louder ?     
When I put the de-cat pipe and the performance cam on my 350 Meteor the stock muffler  note got Really Sweet !
So
I'm guessing your new pipes are De-cat ? 

Yes, the aftermarket mufflers are open (no cat) and sound amazing without the baffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqG-tPYK5ho

zimmemr

The Super Meteor hasn't been available more than a little while ?    That makes me wonder what other RE's you've had ?

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 12:26:06 pm

zimmemr

[/quote]

I don't own a Super Meteor; I've got a 2020 Interceptor and a 2018 Himalayan. My first RE was a 1963 Constellation. ;D