Author Topic: So many problems….how about some good news  (Read 1596 times)

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
on: October 04, 2022, 10:35:53 am
When I read the various posts on here, it does seem that these two bikes, the classic and the meteor are plagued with problems. A casual reader of these might come to the conclusion that these bikes are pretty poor and not really useful for anything.
My own experience could not be more different. The bike has been faultless, with excellent reliability over 4000 miles of gentle bimbles to long distance touring up and down the whole length of the country, carrying me and my camping gear for 10 days without any trouble and still turning in between 90 and 110 mpg (uk gallon)
The ride and handling are excellent, especially considering the price and the fit and finish of my classic in halcyon green is superb and at least a match for my Honda.
Cheer up people, you’ve landed on a real bargain, rare in this modern world, enjoy what you’ve got and get out riding, all year, the bike’s well up to it.
Deepest dark South Devon, UK

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 10:56:54 am
It's easy to only see problems, but don't forget thousands of people are riding around not thinking, "I must tell the world I have no problems".
I think these bikes are a top seller in the UK

Lovely photo. I was in two minds about the Classic or Meteor. I'm still not sure which I prefer, but got Meteor in the end.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 11:52:49 am
When I read the various posts on here, it does seem that these two bikes, the classic and the meteor are plagued with problems. A casual reader of these might come to the conclusion that these bikes are pretty poor and not really useful for anything.     

There are never any headlines about the planes that just land with no problem. Only the plane crashes are written & blabbered about ad nauseum.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 12:07:01 pm
My own experience could not be more different. The bike has been faultless, with excellent reliability over 4000 miles of gentle bimbles to long distance touring up and down the whole length of the country, carrying me and my camping gear for 10 days without any trouble and still turning in between 90 and 110 mpg (uk gallon)
The ride and handling are excellent, especially considering the price and the fit and finish of my classic in halcyon green is superb and at least a match for my Honda.
Cheer up people, you’ve landed on a real bargain, rare in this modern world, enjoy what you’ve got and get out riding, all year, the bike’s well up to it.

Honestly, my meteor has been a beacon of light In these gloomy times. We are so geared to looking at the negatives that we forget how lucky we are to live in these times.
Back to the 350's, these bikes are so much more than the sum of their parts. I have reignited my passion for riding again, something I haven't had in a fair while. This bike is just one of the many things that I'm trying not to take for granted. It's so easy to become complacent when you have such a wonderful little machine just like all our/my other pleasures such as a gym membership, coffee machine and Liverpool fc😉.
 Most importantly though, remembering my wife & kids are so much more valuable than any of the other things, especially passing fads and material things.
I'm no life coach and certainly have had my ups and downs, perhaps more than most but certainly less than others in recent years but I refuse to let all the crap going on around me try and drag me down.
I am the richest man I know in so many ways. Sorry for sounding preachy, just important to believe in goodness and have hope.
Cheers
Pat.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 12:12:22 pm by redpat1 »

KENNRIDE

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 02:07:40 pm
Yeah don't hear many complaints from India ,lots of new vehicles have a couple of teething problems...
these new 350s are way ahead of the previous 350 and 500s  just going from my research.....I put off buying one of the earlier models for 16 years because of the finish and vibration  ect..i loved the look of them so when the Reborn arrived in Australia I was one of the first at the bike shop ...mine has been great..just love the feel of it ...sort of a refined old style feel...with a lovely standard  exhaust crackle ...not loud  or impressive to the bystanders but sounds good to me when i am riding it....ride it every day since I got it in April...live in the country so lots of back roads and a 50klm ride to some beautiful waterfalls ..and cafe in the mountains.....My brother said just today that it sounds like it will last forever..hope he's right ;) BTW he owns a Harley :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:21:47 pm by KENNRIDE »

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 03:11:26 pm
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:42:30 pm by redpat1 »

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 03:12:54 pm
Sorry, my phone is playing up, posting more than once!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:41:12 pm by redpat1 »

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 04:25:17 pm
Hidehi all, I'll find any excuse to pop out on my Classic 350. Engine, fuelling, clutch, gearbox, handling, riding position, brakes, styling complete with an exhaust note [ de-cat pipe fitted] that if you could bottle would make a fortune. YES, I accept at least another 20mph on the top speed would be nice, BUT riding the twisty stuff swapping between 4th and 5th listening to the soundtrack is unbelievably satisfying. Truly a BRILLIANT MACHINE.

Border Reiver

• Scooter
  • Scotland
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 06:52:39 pm
I agree with all of the above, nearly 3000 miles on my Classic with no problems, smooth motor, slick gearbox, good handling what's not to like?  :)

Andy.

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 07:35:54 pm
I agree with all of the above, nearly 3000 miles on my Classic with no problems, smooth motor, slick gearbox, good handling what's not to like?  :)

Andy.

Darn it Andy, you’re catching me up already, I must try harder, go further😂

Great to hear you’re enjoying it.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 12:39:49 am
Curious wanderer says "When I read the various posts on here, it does seem that these two bikes, the classic and the meteor are plagued with problems."

I think if you spend some time looking at the 650 forum, you will be most happy that you bought the 350, for there does seem to be numerous problems that owners have had with these machines, far more than what we see here. Of course, they have had a couple more years for problems to develop, although many seem to have happened not long after buying the bikes.

Possibly the Meteor was on the drawing boards at the same time as the Interceptor, but rushing to get the 650's to market failed to catch some deficiencies, whereas the 350's have had a chance to benefit from faults found on the 650's. For example, there are/were numerous reports of relay failures on the 650's, some of it credited to RE's over exuberant use of dielectric grease in the connectors. I have not seen one report of relay problems with the Meteor so far.

So "plagued with problems" is a bit extreme to my thinking. My Meteor has been faultless and, except for a few personal comfort and bling mods, all is well  .  .  .  knock wood! ;)
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 12:45:44 am
4200 trouble free miles on my Meteor. So comfortable to ride!

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 11:27:54 am
What problems?
The only one that comes quite “often” is the sticky speedo arrow.
And what?
Regardless with all the quality from this bike, I can live with that.
Very happy with mine.
They aren’t strangers, only friends you haven’t ever met.

Mr helicop

• Scooter
  • Devon UK
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 08:27:43 am
No problems with my Meteor, 4000 miles and going better than ever. Do bare in mind that a forum will always bring out any problems as people are asking for help.

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 09:33:39 am
No problems with my Meteor, 4000 miles and going better than ever. Do bare in mind that a forum will always bring out any problems as people are asking for help.
Thanks, I know that and it was a bit tongue in cheek, but I feel a valid observation nevertheless.
Glad everyone who responded above is, as you are, enjoying theirs and I’m not the only happy voice in the wilderness ;D
I’ve owned far too many bikes over my 58 years, but this is one of the very best of them. The only issue I’ve had was with a clown show dealer, and that’s easily resolved.
Happy riding and safe roads everyone👍