Author Topic: A survey looking for responses please  (Read 1943 times)

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
on: September 28, 2022, 08:58:49 pm
This may be considered a moot point by some, but I'm curious where the truth lies with the following question.

When I got my brand new Meteor last summer, upon checking out various bits "under the hood", so to speak, I was pleasantly surprised to see an SAE connector and lead already attached to the battery, which is what one can use to hook up a battery tender, or other electrical needs for the rider, like a heated vest.

Now, this totally looked like a factory installed item, just by the way the cord was well wrapped and the whole kit was secured well, close to the battery. Nothing appeared to have been touched or moved by a later installation outside the factory. I assumed it was a factory installation and did not ask the dealer about it.

However, some owners here have been told by their dealer, once discovered by the owner, that the dealer actually installed it on the bike. I find that hard to believe, as we all know how most dealers are pinching every penny they can from buyers, with the outrageous PDI and "Administration" charges added to the sale price, so for them to install this item, supposedly as a "free" item in a magnanimous gesture, rings rather hollow to me.

Yes, it is not a costly item and could be added to the PDI price padding, but my many years of developing a negative opinion of most dealers, does not leave me much confidence that they speak the truth on most occasions.

Hence, I would request that members here worldwide chime in on whether this lead was on the bike when they bought it and what, if any explanation was offered by their dealer, if the question was put to them.

Thanks.

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 09:08:13 pm
I bought my bike with 50 miles on the clock and one registered owner. Now in the UK it is not unusual for dealers to register a vehicle to themselves to help their sales bonus at the end of the fiscal year and then sell them as "pre-reg" bikes/cars whatever.
I always assumed my bike to be one of these. But when I went to fit my battery charge lead I noticed it already had one. I then thought it's not a pre-reg but must have had a private owner who fitted the lead.

Now I'm even more confused.
As I said this is a UK bike sold in the UK.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 09:32:53 pm
This is my 2nd brand new RE and both have a battery lead connection  fitted as standard. Just another bonus of buying a royal enfield.

Frank_M

• Bulleteer
  • Nash County, NC USA/Ancestors-Somerset, England UK
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:44:06 pm
Mine came with one but you already knew that.  :) Just wanted to post and help paint the picture for everyone to see. My dealer indicated they installed it. Now, with the responses you have me wondering, are they coming from the factory that way or are the dealers installing them? If they are all installed like the photos below it would strongly suggest to me RE is doing the installing unless the dealers have a technical bulletin to follow as part of the prep.

The results of this poll should prove interesting.

Attached photos display charging and storage positions for my installation.

Motorcycles are like a pair of shoes, you can always use one more!
2022 Meteor 350 Stellar Black

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 12:19:32 am
My Dealer indicated that he had installed the SAE plug on both the Meteor and INT.

Gearset807

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 12:46:37 am
I had to buy the SAE connector and have the dealer install it.

When they delivered the bike the connector was sticking out under the cover facing towards the rear wheel so I rerouted it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:59:53 am by Gearset807 »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 12:54:10 am
Mine came with one but you already knew that.  :) Just wanted to post and help paint the picture for everyone to see. My dealer indicated they installed it. Now, with the responses you have me wondering, are they coming from the factory that way or are the dealers installing them? If they are all installed like the photos below it would strongly suggest to me RE is doing the installing unless the dealers have a technical bulletin to follow as part of the prep.

The results of this poll should prove interesting.

Attached photos display charging and storage positions for my installation.

Thanks for your photos Frank, but it is too bad I didn't take a photo of the way I found it all wrapped up by the battery, as that would have been more helpful to see what I believe the factory install looks like. If anyone has not touched theirs, if it is there, a photo of that would be most helpful.

Since my heated vest cord comes off the left side of the vest, I re-routed my cable under the seat, strategically zip tied here and there, over to the left side and just behind the left side cover, where it is again zip tied near its end to a frame section. The supplied cord was just long enough to get that done without touching the battery connections at all.  The SAE end just lives there in the open, rather inconspicuously, but with the cover over the SAE connector when not in use.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 01:01:31 am
I had to buy the SAE connector and have the dealer install it.

When they delivered the bike the connector was sticking out towards the rear wheel so I had to go in and reroute it myself.

Hmmmmm  .  .  .  .  I wonder  .  .    did you ask the dealer to install one before you had looked under the right side cover, or did you already know for certain there wasn't one there?

I ask that because your previous posts regarding this particular dealer's misinformation over oil changing methods and also leaving you with a leaking oil strainer following a service by them, makes me wonder if they didn't just hose you for the price of the part that may have already been there?

You can tell I am very biased when it comes to discerning truth and honesty from a dealer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 01:09:20 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Frank_M

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 01:28:39 am
.....too bad I didn't take a photo of the way I found it...If anyone has not touched theirs, if it is there, a photo of that would be most helpful.

Since mine is still in the original location as received I took a couple of pictures.

Frank_M

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 01:36:33 am
Since my heated vest cord comes off the left side of the vest

So you have a heated vest that plugs into the battery tender cord? Can you provide a link for this as I am very interested in such a device?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 03:04:15 am
Having purchased several new REs in the US over the past decade, I can definitely confirm that none came with a charging cable. Thanks.

Guri
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 04:37:41 am
I've got a 2022 bought in June this year from north Alabama .   It did NOT have the two prong plug ... so I put one on it and routed it to the area above the headlight  , behind the windshield.   That's where I plug my 12v gloves in.   My vest has a 5v battery pack  (10,000ma)that last about 5 hours on low .   Those vest make a "World" of difference.  They are like a oil heater on a Diesel tractor  they warm blood instead of oil , but it circulates around and warms all over.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 04:47:52 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 07:12:30 am
Since mine is still in the original location as received I took a couple of pictures.

Well that looks nothing like mine did at first. That does not look very factory installed like either. Even the red collar on the positive wire is mounted 180 degrees to what mine was and still is. Picture below.

Originally, the wire on mine was neatly folded upon itself and tied with a thin twist tie, over which was a clear plastic sleeve covering the wires, like something you would buy in a shop. This was tucked up near the top of the battery.

Maybe they are shop installed then, but this raises another possibility, comparing what mine and yours looked like. Maybe RE supplies the wire with every bike, in a bag of bits and bobs that need to be assembled onto the bike when it is uncrated for delivery. Maybe some dealers aren't bothering and putting them in stock to be sold instead. Now that sounds nasty!

If that's the case, then some people aren't getting what came with the bike ( Gearset,  GSS  and MMRanch so far). The mystery deepens  .  .  .   :-\

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 07:35:24 am
So you have a heated vest that plugs into the battery tender cord? Can you provide a link for this as I am very interested in such a device?

Hi Frank,

I have had my Eclipse 12 Volt vest for 40 years and it has seen hundreds of thousands of km of use in that time. Unfortunately, that brand is no longer on the market. Shame, because they obviously made a quality product.

You can view some modern day vests on Revzilla (link below) from a few different manufacturers. If you do choose to buy one, check the wattage rating, if the info is available, as the Meteor alternator is not up to adding much of anything in the way of electrical farkles, with a very limited capacity to power such extra items, without drawing down the battery as well, when in use.

At one time, I estimated the number of watts consumed just by the bike itself and then added the draw of the vest and found mine would draw most of the available reserve from the alternator. Sorry, I didn't save those numbers.

So a vest and not a jacket, which would obviously draw more power with the sleeves being heated as well, is the best choice and really all you need. It is your core body temperature that is important to feeling nice and toasty. Also, look for one that has a soft and heated collar, if they still make 'em that way. Nothing like a warm neck on a cool day!

https://www.revzilla.com/heated-motorcycle-jackets-vests
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

redpat1

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 07:38:46 am
Sorry, forgot to add. I asked the dealership owner directly about the lead and he confirmed they were imported with them on.
Cheers