Author Topic: Handlebar slippage  (Read 1275 times)

Slappy

• Scooter
on: September 28, 2022, 01:10:43 pm
Good afternoon all

Having recently finished my bike I am having a bit of an issue with the handlebars slipping, the bars are the 1950's type from Hitchcocks

all the bolts and bracket are new stainless steel, the last thing I want is them slipping when riding, and I didn't really  want to pin or grub screw them if possible
Has anyone got any good ideas

Thanks Dave.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 01:20:50 pm
I'll toss this out there. Can't guarantee it will work.
My handlebar controls would not stay in place. They are pretty beat up, so may be deformed. Anyway, I wrapped a bit of that traction tape you put on stair risers around the bar and that did the trick.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 01:35:02 pm
If I ran into a similar problem, I'd probably go for shimming the clamp with some slices of thin steel. If I had the tool, knurling the bar where it clamps would probably work too.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 01:57:13 pm
As 'ddavidv' and 'stinkwheel' have already suggested, taking about the only actual maintenence-related excerpt from Pirsig's famous Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence  to heart and somehow shimming them seems worth a try. Pirsig described shimming his loose handlebars with a simple cut piece of a beer can. But then beer cans were made of stouter stuff back then. Still, any thin sheet of reasonably firm metal cut to size might do the trick. I can't see how a drop or three of some "medium threadlocker" too, like this goo from Harbor Freight, could hurt. It'll be handy anyhow almost everywhere else if you're nursing a Bullet along. Hell, you might as well wear one as a pendant. Oh, and you would do well to wear gloves while preparing and manhandling that shim into place.

Step One: Prepare the metal
(Pretzels optional)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:24:06 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 02:48:13 pm
+1 on the beer can trick. I've used them to shim a few different things with good results. Actually the modern beverage can being thin is a plus for me. They can be cut with regular scissors into long strips of what ever width you want and for a circular object like a handlebar wrapped how ever many layers it takes to get the right thickness.

Slappy

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 02:51:30 pm
As 'ddavidv' and 'stinkwheel' have already suggested, taking about the only actual maintenence-related excerpt from Pirsig's famous Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence  to heart and somehow shimming them seems worth a try. Pirsig described shimming his loose handlebars with a simple cut piece of a beer can. But then beer cans were made of stouter stuff back then. Still, any thin sheet of reasonably firm metal cut to size might do the trick. I can't see how a drop or three of some "medium threadlocker" too, like this goo from Harbor Freight, could hurt. It'll be handy anyhow almost everywhere else if you're nursing a Bullet along. Hell, you might as well wear one as a pendant. Oh, and you would do well to wear gloves while preparing and manhandling that shim into place.

Step One: Prepare the metal
(Pretzels optional)

Thanks everyone for the reply's

I will give the shimming a go we have some really thin gauge at work

regarding the suggestion of beer can, I am a little concerned that a can from different continents are not the same i.e. US contains lager stuff that rot's the can leaving it useless as a shim and destroys the soul

where as UK Ale adds layers to the metal and works wonders for the grey matter so aiding better motorcycle engineering ideas

Regards Dave.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 03:34:38 pm
If the shimming with aluminum beverage can trimmings doesn't work out, these may be a next step:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-4-3-16-in-x-11-1-4-in-150-Fine-Grit-Drywall-Sanding-Sheets-5-Pack-9091DC-NA/100130840

Thin, tough open mesh fabric with a hard mineral coating for bite. Use an old resharpenable knife to trim to desired size.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Slappy

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 03:41:20 pm
Thanks AzCal

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 03:44:45 pm
[...Snip!]

regarding the suggestion of beer can, I am a little concerned that a can from different continents are not the same i.e. US contains lager stuff that rot's the can leaving it useless as a shim and destroys the soul

[Snip!...]

It's hard to argue with that soul rot hypothesis, as most any photograph of me in my 20s will attest.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 02:07:59 pm
When I've needed a thin shim, I've cut a blade off a feeler gauge set.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 03:08:45 pm
Yep, same here  ;D
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 10:26:12 pm
Good afternoon all

Having recently finished my bike I am having a bit of an issue with the handlebars slipping, the bars are the 1950's type from Hitchcocks

all the bolts and bracket are new stainless steel, the last thing I want is them slipping when riding, and I didn't really  want to pin or grub screw them if possible
Has anyone got any good ideas

I had to use a set screw on my trials bike.

Thanks Dave.

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 06:35:34 am

Always wondered what that super thin one was for  ???
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 09:46:24 am
If you cut off a feeler gauge, the next job you do will probably require a feeler gauge of exactly that thickness.
Paul W.

Slappy

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 10:54:33 am
After posting the question I've not had the chance to even take the cover back off the bike, I have been doing a complete rewire for a friend with a XS 750 Chop.

One issue I did have the last time I tried to tighten it down a bit more one of the top threads went, so I am going to have strip it all off and fit a hellicoil when I get a minute

Need to pull my finger out as it is going to an indoor show on the 10th December

Slappy