Author Topic: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance  (Read 3519 times)

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #30 on: September 27, 2022, 10:07:18 pm
Ha Ha well done Breezin. Mais oui
Jess./  Firstly I really hope your fuel pump solves your problem, I'm sure everybody is watching your post for an answer. Secondly over here in little Britain we have a comedy series called [Only Fools and Horses]. The main character created a host of catch phrases. If you have the time and need a lighter moment, take a peek. You may get it but sometimes comedy doesn't travel across the pond. Some years ago, I was in the States and caught a glimpse of a comedy called [Sanford and Son], which was a remake of a British comedy called [Steptoe and Son] which didn't work over there.  Once again, I hope it all goes well.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 27, 2022, 10:32:31 pm
Jess./  Firstly I really hope your fuel pump solves your problem, I'm sure everybody is watching your post for an answer. Secondly over here in little Britain we have a comedy series called [Only Fools and Horses]. The main character created a host of catch phrases. If you have the time and need a lighter moment, take a peek. You may get it but sometimes comedy doesn't travel across the pond. Some years ago, I was in the States and caught a glimpse of a comedy called [Sanford and Son], which was a remake of a British comedy called [Steptoe and Son] which didn't work over there.  Once again, I hope it all goes well.
I’ll see if I have access to it. I love British comedy, but I’m usually a few years behind as it takes a while for shows to get to US market.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 27, 2022, 11:53:46 pm
Where I live, North Texas, you have no choice of fuel ethanol content. All grades are marked as ‘up to 10% ethanol’.
 On my recent trip through Oklahoma, the stations all had ‘No Ethanol’ choices, at a much higher price!
 I chose the ‘No Ethanol’ for the two fill-up before my issue happened.
 A pretty good indicator that Ethanol was not a factor.

Ok Jess that was the info I was after. I'm confident the pump will be fine with E10 but I know from some car forums in the US guys also run higher Ethanol fuels like E85 although we don't have it here.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 28, 2022, 12:51:25 am
Ok Jess that was the info I was after. I'm confident the pump will be fine with E10 but I know from some car forums in the US guys also run higher Ethanol fuels like E85 although we don't have it here.

Phil
You will see some E85 at some stations, always clearly marked on a separate hose. But they seem to be less common these days.

Everyones concern over Ethanol has me puzzled.
 We got Ethanol added to our pumps back in the mid 1970s. Probably 1976.(North Texas specifically).
 I had a 1972 Honda CB500four at the time. It deteriorated my fuel line below the petcock. I replaced it with a line that the parts store said would work. Never had any problems after.
 I have run every petrol vehicle I’ve owned since on it, 10% ethanol, never had a problem. This includes a Suzuki GS850L, 1982 Mustang GT 5.0, a supercharged Mini Cooper, Turbocharged VW, hodgepodge of Hondas, Toyotas, F150 pickup. None has ever had any issues with Ethanol.
 Have vehicles in the US been tuned differently that the rest of the world?

dwhitehorne

• Scooter
  • 2022 Interceptor
Reply #34 on: September 28, 2022, 01:08:50 am
You will see some E85 at some stations, always clearly marked on a separate hose. But they seem to be less common these days.

We got Ethanol added to our pumps back in the mid 1970s. Probably 1976.(North Texas specifically).
 I had a 1972 Honda CB500four at the time. It deteriorated my fuel line below the petcock. I replaced it with a line that the parts store said would work. Never had any problems after.
 I have run every petrol vehicle I’ve owned since on it, 10% ethanol, never had a problem. This includes a Suzuki GS850L, 1982 Mustang GT 5.0, a supercharged Mini Cooper, Turbocharged VW, hodgepodge of Hondas, Toyotas, F150 pickup. None has ever had any issues with Ethanol.

Yes I too am puzzled about the ethanol questions that come up.  Here in Virginia I can't remember when I saw gas without some type of ethanol added.  I searched online and see a gas station over an hour away from me being the closest you can get non ethanol gas.  What type of issues could it cause with a modern Royal Enfield engine?. 

I've had a 69 Chevelle SS with a 427 since 1988.  Running a Holley 4150 that I rebuild about every 5 years or so has always run ethanol gas.  I've never had a carb/gas related issue in 34 years. There is not another option for gas near me.  The gas tank is original with the original pickup and it still works fine.  I drive it maybe once a month and a little less in the summer because the black interior with no AC is like sitting in an oven.  So it has sat for most of the 34 years I've had it in my garage.  There is no issues with water in the tank or anything.  Probably around 20 years ago the Holley rebuild kits started having green rubber in the accelerator pump diaphragms to run with alcohol. 

Is it that different for a motorcycle sitting outside in the weather to have ethanol in it because I've been heavy into motorsports since I was a teenager and have never seen a problem with a regularly maintained vehicle and ethanol additives in pump gas.  David 

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2022, 01:46:32 am

Good collection of Del Boy's French phrases here: https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/comedy-news/del-boy-hilarious-french-phrases-17087093

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2022, 03:00:30 am

Because even late model bike fuel tanks can react to it Jess. My Guzzi V11 Sport MY2000 and all the V11 Le Mans bikes 2002-2006 all suffer from Ethanol related tank swelling and paint damage. Same as MY2008-2010 that I know of Ducati 1098 and 1198 bikes. Nothing is guaranteed that's why the question. If the pump has close tolerance nylon internal parts it could be an issue. It shouldn't be but then again you can say that about a lot of engineering stuff that fails or has issues. My Bimota DB1 back in the mid 80's also had a plastic tank that swelled so much after a few months you couldn't refit the bodywork. That was before E10. Ducati had a class action against it in around 2012 over E10 tank swelling and damage.

Phil   
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2022, 03:50:56 am
Because even late model bike fuel tanks can react to it Jess. My Guzzi V11 Sport MY2000 and all the V11 Le Mans bikes 2002-2006 all suffer from Ethanol related tank swelling and paint damage. Same as MY2008-2010 that I know of Ducati 1098 and 1198 bikes. Nothing is guaranteed that's why the question. If the pump has close tolerance nylon internal parts it could be an issue. It shouldn't be but then again you can say that about a lot of engineering stuff that fails or has issues. My Bimota DB1 back in the mid 80's also had a plastic tank that swelled so much after a few months you couldn't refit the bodywork. That was before E10. Ducati had a class action against it in around 2012 over E10 tank swelling and damage.

Phil
Just seems odd as virtually everyone in the US has been using ethanol for 40years.
 I’ve owned 17 petrol vehicles in that span and never had a fuel pump problem, present GT excepted.
 Has anyone out there on the forum in the US ever experience a problem with ethanol?
 Is there a difference in the formulation of ethanol in other parts of the world?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:53:33 am by JessHerbst »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2022, 04:54:29 am
If one wants a real world, non-political, non-aspirational understanding of the corrosive effect of ethanol on fuel pumps spend a little time paddling around these studies by the SAE International.  They link from one study to another so you will likely not be able to read them all.
Here is one of the shorter abstracts:
https://saemobilus.sae.org/content/971648/
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 28, 2022, 05:57:15 am
Just seems odd as virtually everyone in the US has been using ethanol for 40years.
 I’ve owned 17 petrol vehicles in that span and never had a fuel pump problem, present GT excepted.
 Has anyone out there on the forum in the US ever experience a problem with ethanol?
 Is there a difference in the formulation of ethanol in other parts of the world?

Most of the Guzzi and Ducati experiences with swelling tanks were on US forums. For RE's, well they don't have plastic tanks to my knowledge but like I said things crop up all the time in engineering. As an example the Dual clutch transmissions in VW's Audis etc a few years ago were destroying the internal circuit board in the Motronics unit (the component that controls the oil pump, valving and actuators that shift the gears and operate the clutches) after a few years operation. The reason? Because they were specifying a transmission lubricant with a sulphur content high enough to attack the internal circuit board and cause it to short and burn out. So would I be surprised if RE or any manufacturer fitted a fuel pump with an updated material that wouldn't handle E10 or E85, nope. Boeing updated oring material on their aircraft flight control actuators 20 years ago to a material that hardened after 3 or 4 hours at the very cold temperatures experienced at 40,000 ft. We were having flight control actuators leaking in flight due to cold soaking orings. Two steps forward, one step back. The history of engineering.   

Phil
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 06:26:59 am by lucky phil »
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 28, 2022, 07:02:51 am

Ethanol used to melt the float right off the low fuel level sensor in the early 2009-2010 RE Classic 500s. This got redesigned to an ethanol resistant variant fairly quickly.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

CheckeredDemon

• Scooter
  • Clay S. Wilson R.I.P
Reply #41 on: September 28, 2022, 07:38:34 am
Well, I didn't think it would take long for this post to go "off piste" Rodders.

If we are going to talk Ethanol E10, then 10% of our fuel does not have petroleum spirit in it, so why have gas prices risen so much, if only 90% of it is fossil fuel based? In the very early days of IC engines, "Motor Spirit" was Turpentine (White Spirit) based.

My Interceptor has a sticker on the Tank that says E10 is absolutely fine.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 28, 2022, 07:57:03 am

British humour is lost on most Americans
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #43 on: September 28, 2022, 09:23:56 am
Ethanol used to melt the float right off the low fuel level sensor in the early 2009-2010 RE Classic 500s. This got redesigned to an ethanol resistant variant fairly quickly.
In the UK the gov.uk website has a fuel checker for E10 and compatibility with vehicles.I know that some older Kawasakis early and pre 2000 are not recommended to use it.If I can remember correctly the Kawasaki W650 being one.Here is  related info.
Freedom.

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #44 on: September 30, 2022, 03:21:43 pm
Hi chequered demon, any news,