Author Topic: Indicator happiness  (Read 2454 times)

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 12:24:24 pm

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 12:53:23 pm
My buddy rides in front. When he puts his right arm out at 4 o'clock or his left arm or at 8 o'clock and opens and closes his fist, I know it's time to turn off my indicators. Initially, it took me a while to catch on but these days there's little lag between his signing and my action 😅

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 01:47:14 pm
I had a biker friend who fitted some kind of loud clicking device when his indicators were on.Problem was he was partially deaf and wore ear plugs.
You could just hook your indicators to your horn, ... after all, nobody else can hear it anyways.  :) ;) 8)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 03:11:41 pm
Agree 100%. All this bluetooth app smart phone connected to your helmet crap in my world defeats the purpose of riding a motorcycle, just give me the sound of my bike beneath me and nature around me and iam one happy camper. But each to there own.

I have a bluetooth smart phone connection. However I don't listen to anything except for the sound of the engine. I have it solely to accept calls from my very anxious wife who tolerates my motorcycling, but sometimes likes to call and check that I'm not a smudge on the road or a splat on a grill of a semi. It's a minor concession that allows me to ride.

And as a bonus with the bluetooth thingy, I get to have a light on the back of my helmet that flashes whenever I slow down. It has a built in accelerometer and it's rather conspicuous to the drivers behind me when I roll off the throttle.

And thanks Jess for the link, that unit seems like a good idea.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 03:20:52 pm
Many, many years ago, I decided it would be a good idea to fit a beeper under the seat on my old 250, on the indicator circuit, to remind me to switch them off.
My then girlfriend, now present wife, took this as a cue helpfully to go 'Meep, meep' in my ear to tell me when a turn was coming up. This continued for decades, even when we were in a car.
The outcome has been that whatever part of my brain that serves one's sense of direction has shrunk, apparently irretrievably. I was once told by a guy who fought in the Balkan wars that I wouldn't last a day in urban fighting.
So I use Google maps all the time, but will never again have a beeper, or a clicker.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 03:24:01 pm
I have a bluetooth smart phone connection. However I don't listen to anything except for the sound of the engine. I have it solely to accept calls from my very anxious wife who tolerates my motorcycling, but sometimes likes to call and check that I'm not a smudge on the road or a splat on a grill of a semi. It's a minor concession that allows me to ride.

And as a bonus with the bluetooth thingy, I get to have a light on the back of my helmet that flashes whenever I slow down. It has a built in accelerometer and it's rather conspicuous to the drivers behind me when I roll off the throttle.

And thanks Jess for the link, that unit seems like a good idea.

i dont mind the helmet safety indicator. got a link for it?

i like utilizing tech. just think in this instance it seems like massive overkill. but jess also uses the beeline moto solely as a speedo as well so i get it :)

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 03:35:10 pm
i dont mind the helmet safety indicator. got a link for it?

i like utilizing tech. just think in this instance it seems like massive overkill. but jess also uses the beeline moto solely as a speedo as well so i get it :)

It's for a Nolan helmet, and it'll work without the BT: https://www.n-com.it/en/ess

And this is the system with the BT: https://www.n-com.it/en/n-com-b902l-r

And for any other helmet, I know someone with this: https://www.brakefreetech.com/  All I can say is that it's much larger and more bulky, but it works well.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 03:41:40 pm
…but jess also uses the beeline moto solely as a speedo as well so i get it :)
I did use it for nav on last weekends overnight trip, just not for local rides.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 11:41:06 pm
Jess' add-ons make me think of the OBD HUD I see on cars around the place these days. Nearly useless, because it's not that hard to look at the clocks, even if the average driver bothered to do that. But at the same time personal choice and if it makes them happy, that's what matters. Good luck to them. My dad's like that. His 4x4 has so much extra crap on the dash it's a wonder he can see out. But he's happy.

My paragliding buddies, too. They fly with a flight deck full of instrumentation and communication stuff. I prefer a vario and a pair of sunnies.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 23, 2022, 12:02:33 am
Jess' add-ons make me think of the OBD HUD I see on cars around the place these days. Nearly useless, because it's not that hard to look at the clocks, even if the average driver bothered to do that. But at the same time personal choice and if it makes them happy, that's what matters. Good luck to them. My dad's like that. His 4x4 has so much extra crap on the dash it's a wonder he can see out. But he's happy.

My paragliding buddies, too. They fly with a flight deck full of instrumentation and communication stuff. I prefer a vario and a pair of sunnies.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 12:05:58 am
That's a Bond car, right? So modern....  8)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 12:35:58 am
That's a Bond car, right? So modern....  8)
Yep

RE-MAD

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: September 23, 2022, 02:08:43 am
Oh, and yes, I have given my daughters permission to put me in a home when the time comes as long as they can plug my brain into a computer so I can live in a computer simulated world where I’m young again!

Man you are way better than I am. The day I changed my son’s last diaper I told him it was just a matter of time before he’d be changing mine 🙄.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 05:48:20 pm
I did use it for nav on last weekends overnight trip, just not for local rides.

how was it as a nav device? i already have my phone mounted and tbh i think the beeline isnt made for where i live (overly complicated highways with super annoying numerous exits very close together). i have a feeling it would be an absolute failure here. LOVE the look of it though. and still willing to try the velo 2 as solely a speedo.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 06:22:12 pm
how was it as a nav device? i already have my phone mounted and tbh i think the beeline isnt made for where i live (overly complicated highways with super annoying numerous exits very close together). i have a feeling it would be an absolute failure here. LOVE the look of it though. and still willing to try the velo 2 as solely a speedo.
It worked great, but you have to get used to it. The arrow only changes exactly when you need to be turning. You really have to pay attention to the ‘distance to turn’ number more than the arrow.
 I would have just gone with a phone mount, then Apple came out publicly stating that it would damage the newer phones with optical image shift, which I have.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:24:19 pm by JessHerbst »