Author Topic: Oil level  (Read 1438 times)

Hillbillythumper

• Scooter
on: September 12, 2022, 12:31:46 am
Hello Gentlemen. I have a classic 500 trials replica 500 2020 model. The manual says it holds 2 1/2 quarts with complete oil and filter change. When changing the oil I let it drain a while and cycle the engine with the kick start several times to get the most oil out. However, after putting in 2 1/2 quarts the sight glass reads overfilled. I have to drain out half a quart to get the oil twixt the lines on the sight glass. I pull both drain plugs plus the screen cover as well as draining the filter. Any thoughts?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 01:23:53 am
The all do that, Sir.  ;)

Just be sure to check the oil level with the engine warm. Let it run on the center stand for a minute or two, turn off the engine and check the oil level after a few minutes.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Hillbillythumper

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 01:50:48 am
Thanks Richard230. Looks like it actually holds about 2 quarts and 4 ounces.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 02:09:18 pm
Thanks Richard230. Looks like it actually holds about 2 quarts and 4 ounces.

There are all kinds of nooks and crannies within the crankcase where the oil can not drain out during a normal oil change. No doubt the engine holds 2.5 quarts of oil when new and being filled at the factory, but that is not the case when the bike's owner performs  an oil change.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

CHURCHILL

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 04:55:22 pm
Hi

There are indeed lots of nooks and crannies in these engines, I have the same bike
have a look at this it may help:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89mPbUPAa80

Grumpy Rider

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 06:33:52 pm
getting the oil level correct on these machines does seem to be problematic at first, it is important that the bike is on a level surface when its on the top/centre stand, just slightly out of level can mean the difference between it looking overfilled or empty!, I found on mine that on a level surface the oil level was correct so i measured the amount that drained out (unfortunately I can't remember what the amount was,) I then put the same amount of fresh back in and when Ive checked since it is always ok, there doesn't appear to be much between top and bottom level marks either.

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 04:10:45 am
With all three plugs removed and the bike on its center stand, don't forget to also rock the bike from side to side to get the maximum amount of oil out of the sump. I know yours is overfilled at the moment, but you'll dial it in in time. After a ride, put it up on the center stand and leave it running while you take all your riding kit off. Then shut it down and let it sit for a while for the oil to settle. In time you'll get a sense for the proper level in the sight window. Then, when it's time for your next oil change. Just measure how much oil you drained out and put the same amount back in. An extra step, but it just makes it so much easier.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 12:48:43 am
The simplest explanation as to why these bikes can be maddening to change/check oil, is when the UCE was developed and released in 2008/9, they took a powerplant that was 3 separate components (Engine/Primary/transmission) and basically molded all of them together within the same case. Those nooks and crannies created made sense to the guys at the factory, it just drives the end user nuts, until they just learn to deal with it.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

the possum

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 05:27:46 am
I have found the sump on my Classic 500 to be "tidal". Sometimes it is high tide, sometimes the tide is 'out'.
I can check the level and find I have just enough in the sight glass (just visible at the bottom of the glass), and on returning from a ride, I find the level to be up near the top of the glass. It is maddening, but as someone else said - "they all do that sir"

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 08:27:56 am
If you get off and put it on the side stand, half the oil disappears when you put it on the center stand, so it looks empty.. Give it a few kick over to drain the oil out of the pockets and you'll get a correct  reading...drove me crazy wondering where the oil went after a short ride...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

danketchpel

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 08:38:37 pm
I have found the sump on my Classic 500 to be "tidal". Sometimes it is high tide, sometimes the tide is 'out'.
I can check the level and find I have just enough in the sight glass (just visible at the bottom of the glass), and on returning from a ride, I find the level to be up near the top of the glass. It is maddening, but as someone else said - "they all do that sir"

I have found on a few of my bikes that the oil level changes with temperature a fair bit. So now I pretty much only check them when hot otherwise I end up with it overfilled.
2020 RE Intercepter 650
2012 RE Classic 500
2021 Guzzi V7 850 Special
2019 Kawi Z900RS
2016 Bonneville T-120
Plus some ADV/Scrambler/Dual Sport bikes

danketchpel

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 08:41:32 pm
If you get off and put it on the side stand, half the oil disappears when you put it on the center stand, so it looks empty.. Give it a few kick over to drain the oil out of the pockets and you'll get a correct  reading...drove me crazy wondering where the oil went after a short ride...
I fell into this trap with mine. I'm fairly new to the bike and am learning it's quirks.

I know it's over filled from topping it off after exactly as you describe the level change, now I need to drain some out and set it right again. I won't make that mistake again!
2020 RE Intercepter 650
2012 RE Classic 500
2021 Guzzi V7 850 Special
2019 Kawi Z900RS
2016 Bonneville T-120
Plus some ADV/Scrambler/Dual Sport bikes