Author Topic: Bike Category Revision?  (Read 1757 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
on: August 27, 2022, 12:56:48 am
The categories maybe will need modification, consolidation or expansion. The 650 appears to be headed for 4-6 variants, the new 350 maybe 4, the Himalayan at least 5. Maybe we might just make engine categories like Vintage, Pre-Unit, UCE, OHC Single, OHC Twin; from there open into each variant as sub categories.
Pre-Unit: Bullet, Electra
UCE: All
OHC Single: J variants Meteor/ et al, Himalayan/Scram 411, Himalayan /Scram 450
OHC Twin: (Interceptor, Continental, Shotgun, Meteor, Himalayan 650)

Or - a category for every new variant? What's workable & maintainable by the webmaster? We have at least 4 new bikes we know of coming very soon. Consolidate or expand? Subcategories off from the general ones? Enquiring minds need to know... ;)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 02:13:27 pm
 :-\ :'( :o ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 09:34:35 pm
Say Whaaat?  ???
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 02:41:20 pm
Good ideas from Axman88 circa 2021. We'll need to find out what the new 450 liquid cooled single letter designator is. It seems more logical to base around the engine type than model. That's what RE does, many models based on one powerplant.

I'd balance the desire for "simple" against useful, and carefully consider a few things:
 -   More than a dozen or so headings, is daunting.  It's quite observable how few visitors we get to those sections of the forum that require scrolling, vs those that are up at the top of the forum. This is likely why we see general topic postings in the specific model areas now.    Folks access in all sorts of ways, including on their phones.   Less is more.
    -   Newcomers, and those who are less knowledgeable, don't know which heading is appropriate, more headings will make this worse.  This is why we already see postings regarding 650 Conti. GT appearing in 535 Conti GT area, postings for India Electra models appearing in AVL / Electra X, postings for IB models appearing in UCE, and so on.  More headings will result in more mistakes.  Better, in my opinion, to have fewer headings, and include fuller descriptions of what that heading includes.  For example, the subtext for "Bullet Iron Barrel" could say, "Includes Bullet, Electra, 65 and other models, 350 and 500 cc, prior to  2007, with Cast Iron cylinder", instead of "Forum for the discussion of Iron Barrel Bullet Models"
    -   The forum was previously explicitly USA focused, but that was given up several years ago.  We have members worldwide, including in India, and should anticipate and provide for their participation.

My suggestion would be to:
-   Fold the 535 Continental GT into the 500 UCE, and expand the heading of that folder to also include 350 UCE models, for those of you, not in the USA, who have had access to those machines all along.
-   Rename "350 Meteor" to something like "J platform OHC engine", to include the Meteor, the new Classic, and others that will emerge, including, quite possibly, some 500 cc variants.
-    Rename "650 Twin - Interceptor/GT " to something like "P platform 650 twin engine", to include the Interceptors, the 650 Continental GTs, the upcoming 650 twin Cruiser, and not unlikely a 650 cc Classic and Roadster.
-   Arguably the AVL / Electra X could be combined with the Iron Barrel, since the action on these topics is likely to be limited going forward, but, from an engineering perspective, they are unique models.

With what RE is doing, (which makes good sense from an engineering cost management perspective), focusing on the engine design/ size and following RE's disclosed "platform codes" to create new Forum headings, in my opinion, will give good service over the long run, keep things simple, and keep future changes to a minimum.

Lambdie

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 08:45:43 am
I’m finding this forum a bit too complex for simple blokes like my self.

I feel there is a lack of accomodation for the 500 EFI engine bikes here, or I am finding it difficult where to find posts for them. Perhaps someone can point out to me where to post about these specific bikes.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 02:10:23 pm
How about in the Bullet with UCE Engine section?

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 06:36:25 pm
I'd probably go for main categories as engine size then sub-divide those in to engine types - anyone new could easily select what cc they want
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 08:41:01 am
I’m finding this forum a bit too complex for simple blokes like my self.

I feel there is a lack of accomodation for the 500 EFI engine bikes here, or I am finding it difficult where to find posts for them. Perhaps someone can point out to me where to post about these specific bikes.

Hello, for the 500 EFI (UCE engine) you can post on the section shown on the link below:
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?board=19.0

Its currently called "Bullet with the UCE engine", but it looks like I am going to need to update some of the headings in the forum in general.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 09:54:07 am
Thanks for all the comments. This is something I have been considering for a while and its great to hear some thoughts on how the forum should present itself. My view is that we should not dilute the categories down too far as its important for what we do have to remain active and simple to interpret.

Main section "Royal Enfield Motorcycles"
I like the idea of listing these as platform designation e.g. "J Platform" and then clarifying the applicable models in the short description listed below. For the older models, this will not be appropriate and I may need to alter the names slightly and include a typical year range in the short description. Iron Barrel and AVL should remain separate sections, there is enough differences between the models and the forums are busy enough to warrant this.

"Royal Enfield Store & Catalog", remove this section all together. This has three categories within which get very little use, removing this whole section would clean up a lot of clutter. Thoughts on this?

Under the "Royal Enfield General Discussion", remove the "Royal Enfield Association" category which again has very little use.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 02:35:34 pm
Those changes sound good to me, although I had not heard of a "J" platform. Is that the new 350 model?  :)

It is going to get tricky when RE starts bringing out more new model platforms, such as water-cooled versions and eventually electric models. Apparently we are no longer in the age of the on-trick pony ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 02:43:11 pm by Richard230 »