Author Topic: Possible dangerous design flaw. You two cents worth please.  (Read 7661 times)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Have you tried closing up the gaps between the sensors and the ABS rings?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 10:31:11 am by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Padawan

• Scooter
Reply #61 on: September 11, 2022, 01:54:14 am
Add me to the list of Meteor 350 owners experiencing this problem.

It just started happening to me this week, and I can't identify any specific conditions or behaviors that cause it to happen, but it was happening about 25-50% of the time that I closed the throttle while in gear on my ride home today.  Yes, it's very unnerving (especially in turns) when you're expecting full engine breaking off-throttle and instead get a "coasting" sensation.  What others have described in terms of sound is also very accurate - the throttle closes and instead of the "rumble" you would normally get, it's more of a quiet "purr" for anywhere from 3-10 seconds or so before it finally goes back to normal.

My bike has around 2200 miles on it now, and the only thing that's changed recently is that I've gotten stuck in the rain on a few rides.  It was properly serviced at my dealer for the 300 mile valve check and oil change with the correct semi-synthetic oil.   

The actual throttle action at the grip is smooth.  My guess is it's definitely ECU / fuel injection related, just not sure what exactly the system is trying to achieve when it happens, or why it has started doing it now versus when it was new. 

I may try talking to my dealer about it, but right now I'm waiting for them to swap out my sticking speedometer...  ::)

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #62 on: September 12, 2022, 06:15:50 pm
Can’t say I’ve noticed it on my classic. Shut the throttle after 45 minutes or more, normal engine braking, shut it after 25 minutes of my favourite route at “spirited effort” chasing a mates CB600F, normal engine braking.
Mines fine, thanks. ;D

Edit, I’d check the simple things first, like the throttle cable free play, is it returning correctly when held open hard for a minute (don’t need the motor running to check that  8)) before getting all worried about the ECU.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:19:08 pm by Curious wanderer »
Deepest dark South Devon, UK

Mr helicop

• Scooter
  • Devon UK
Reply #63 on: September 13, 2022, 08:04:04 am
I did have this problem but I have now covered 4000 miles and it has completely gone away, don't know why, just saying.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #64 on: September 13, 2022, 03:31:16 pm
It sounds like the "Throttle position " sensor has a burr under its saddle !  ???

I've experienced it a few times but it only last for a split-second
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #65 on: September 18, 2022, 07:55:47 pm
Right then. While I was out today, I tried to recreate this. I am now firmly convinced it’s absolutely nothing to do with the ECU. There is no fault.
The issue is either your throttle cable needs a bit of extra free play in the stop position, or you are inadvertently holding the throttle just off the stop, thinking it’s all the way home, actually very easy to do.
I would recommend to add a bit more free play and see it magically resolve the issue.

Padawan

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: September 19, 2022, 12:23:27 am
I don't think anyone is suggesting (I certainly wasn't) that this is an infinitely repeatable issue that happens on everyone's bike under the exact same set of circumstances every time.  Instead, it seems to be a sort of "glitch" with the fueling that happens occasionally to some peoples' bikes.

Judging by the comments in this thread from different owners all describing the same exact symptoms, and knowing that my own bike's throttle cable is perfectly fine and that I will literally force the throttle as closed as possible when this issue occurs to ensure that it's not throttle/cable related, I'm quite confident this is an electronic/ECU/sensor issue and in no way related to the throttle cable or hand grip.

If it were, it would be awfully coincidental that each of the folks who have reported this have exactly the same cable maladjustment and the problem of of not closing the throttle completely without realizing it.

I'm sure you rode your bike today above 60 mph and your speedometer performed perfectly fine, and always has.  Until it was replaced under warranty last week, mine would occasionally get stuck at 40 or 60 mph even when stopped.  Not being able to reproduce an issue on everyone's bike doesn't mean it's not an issue.

Curious wanderer

• Bulleteer
  • South Devon UK
Reply #67 on: September 19, 2022, 09:55:16 am
I don't think anyone is suggesting (I certainly wasn't) that this is an infinitely repeatable issue that happens on everyone's bike under the exact same set of circumstances every time.  Instead, it seems to be a sort of "glitch" with the fueling that happens occasionally to some peoples' bikes.

Judging by the comments in this thread from different owners all describing the same exact symptoms, and knowing that my own bike's throttle cable is perfectly fine and that I will literally force the throttle as closed as possible when this issue occurs to ensure that it's not throttle/cable related, I'm quite confident this is an electronic/ECU/sensor issue and in no way related to the throttle cable or hand grip.

If it were, it would be awfully coincidental that each of the folks who have reported this have exactly the same cable maladjustment and the problem of of not closing the throttle completely without realizing it.

I'm sure you rode your bike today above 60 mph and your speedometer performed perfectly fine, and always has.  Until it was replaced under warranty last week, mine would occasionally get stuck at 40 or 60 mph even when stopped.  Not being able to reproduce an issue on everyone's bike doesn't mean it's not an issue.
Good point, probably a bit pointy, but 30 years as a development and diagnostic engineer does that to you.
The point is that digital systems rarely fail in an analogue way, usually the fault is repeatable. RE set the free play pretty tight as standard and a bit of slack will help in any case.
My testing of my own bike showed a repeatable failure of the type described by reducing the free play to almost zero. Increasing the free play saw that characteristic entirely eliminated.
As to the Speedo my 350, after 3600 miles since early June and regularly running over 60mph is just fine. Doesn’t mean it will always be, but for now, it is.
The trouble is, many of us with limited knowledge of modern (been around for nearly 30 years now) electronics start blaming that rather than taking a good diagnostic look at the system in use. It’s also much easier to blame the bike rather than the nut behind the bars ;D

LowEnd

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: September 23, 2022, 02:17:32 pm
I'm the OP and I now have 15,500km on the clock and the issue still occurs. I've had the 5000, 10000, and 15000 services done and have asked my dealer to look at every possibility raised by you good chaps over the past months. All to no avail I'm sad to say.

It bothers me less as I don't ride the meteor much these days having bought a Triumph Tiger sport 660 for my longer trips. But it bugs me that such a flaw still exists.