Author Topic: Cruise Easy  (Read 1034 times)

Meteorite

• Scooter
on: July 05, 2022, 02:07:55 am
Ever have one of those days where you wake up without a plan, sun in the sky, and a not quite broken in motorcycle just waiting for the next adventure?  Enjoyed a 120 mile ride through rolling hills, extended climbs, and quiet country main streets.  With temps in the upper 70’s and speed limits varying from 20 mph in towns to long sweepers at 40 and several connecting stretches of 55, the little 350 returned an inspiring 105mpg(US) without missing a thump.

Impressions? 

Fantastic torque.  At 40mph in 5th, the little heart beats around 3,000 rpm (according to the aftermarket 48mm Daytona tach) and flattens extended elevation gains without struggle, even pulling a bit when called upon.  When the steep really gets going, a drop into 4th at 40 raises the revs by 500 and kept me rock steady motoring upward and beyond.

Tripper works well in the country (as long as you can maintain mobile signal), but gets confused during sections of multiple quick turns.  Or perhaps it’s just me (and my lack of 20 something youth) who’s confused... at the arrows pointing in directions opposite of where I’m pretty sure I want to go.  Hence it helps to bring along ones own internal compass at times.  Will take some getting used to.

While I find the standard seat comfortable, I did start to get that numbing sensation around the 50-60 mile mark.  Probably a fault of my less than padded back side and a good excuse to stop at one of the several idyllic little towns for a stretch and some hydration.

With the preload set to a minimum, the ride can be a little stiff and somewhat punishing over washboard and broken roads for me.  On one occasion I noted that my spine protested sharply on an inadvertent bigger/faster bump.  Perhaps I need to eat more pie.

Did I mention the fantastic fuel economy?

I’ve got a little bird that joins me in towns at times giving a subtle but notable chirp chirp chirp that varies with speed.  A gentle squeeze of the brake lever silences it.  Mental note to further investigate.

Rides like this reinforce what a nice bike this is.  I didn’t once want for more power or speed as it motored along each road with authority and a feeling of still something to give.  Cruise Easy is the tagline.  Indeed.

What a great day to Meteor!

What a great day to be a Meteorite!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 04:03:29 am
Nice write up - thanks!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 07:20:51 am
Good story!

You might want to consider getting the Meteor touring seat. I find the pocket it puts me into feels more supportive. It felt even better after a few hundred miles of break in too.

I also found the rear suspension a tad harsh at the 1st preload step - initially - but it does seem to have softened up nicely, now with close to 1,400 km on it.

Agree too about the torque. Shifting at spirited RPM's has the bike almost leaping forward with every change right up to 5th.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Meteorite

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 03:36:13 am
Did a 1st highway commute today (finally passed break in) and I can’t help but to feel more and more impressed with this bike each ride.  Held 65mph over gentle rolling terrain no problems.  Bike was rock solid/stable and confidence inspiring.  Felt the soft-ish speed limiter as i tested out top end (an indicated 75, I wish I had GPS to calibrate).  To me it still felt like it still had a comfortable more to go if given the opportunity.  At 70, engine was turning somewhere around 5,000 rpm.  With the touring screen on, wind was definitely loud (gotta remember ear plugs next time).

For my type of riding, I have never felt the need for more speed/power.  At least not yet.  Simply enjoyable!

Frank_M

• Bulleteer
  • Nash County, NC USA/Ancestors-Somerset, England UK
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 04:37:13 am
And when I saw the topic "Cruise Easy" I thought you had come up with a cruise control for the Meteor since I had been reading some of your tachometer posts previously.  :)  However, I still enjoyed the post and hearing about all the positive aspects!
Motorcycles are like a pair of shoes, you can always use one more!
2022 Meteor 350 Stellar Black

Meteorite

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 12:00:16 pm
What’s interesting is that having ridden a 50’s BMW, the throttle has a friction clip built into the throttle grip such that the throttle stays where you twist it.  Hence a sort of built in cruise control.  Makes me wonder why they were originally designed like that.  Perhaps looser safety regulations? I think there’s a clip on product for modern bikes that accomplishes the same.