Author Topic: Ride from Raleigh NC to Tail of the Dragon - 2022-06-25 -> 28  (Read 1599 times)

ebaleytherogue

• Scooter
I will be riding to southern entrance to The Tail of the Dragon, 2022-06-25, remaining until the morning of the 28th. I will be staying near The Tail and if anyone wants to meet up for an evening beer or morning coffee, feel free to hit me up. I will spend my time there riding some of the lesser-known roads and riding The Tail itself that Monday (27th), to avoid tourist traffic.

I will be taking the scenic route there. What would be a 5.5 hour highway drive is estimated to be almost 11 hours by the Calimoto app. In all likelihood I'll split the difference a bit, driving mostly backroads but perhaps jumping on the bigger highways to make some time. Dunno.

I'd be up for a fellow rider or two, for the trip, assuming you're chill and not married to any specific route. Also, although I'm capable at riding at hotdog speeds, I have no desire to do so. I'm not averse to riding fun -- you won't catch me BELOW the speed limit (aside from weather-related), but my priority is safe riding.

This is my first-ever solo vacation, away from the wife and kids (and I'm in my mid-50's...so yeah...it's overdue!).

- eb

Bike: 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
There's nothing like a good road trip on a motorcycle! You get away from everything and get into the rhythm of the road. There's no better meditation I always come back refreshed. Enjoy yourself!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Sounds like the premise to some Lifetime Movie Network screed. If it was me, I'd think about maybe tagging a couple of household items like maybe the TV or jewelry box with a couple of those GPS tracker doodads so I could find my way "home" again.

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ebaleytherogue

• Scooter
There's nothing like a good road trip on a motorcycle! You get away from everything and get into the rhythm of the road. There's no better meditation I always come back refreshed. Enjoy yourself!

Thank you, Karl! I am beyond stoked!

ebaleytherogue

• Scooter
Sounds like the premise to some Lifetime Movie Network screed. If it was me, I'd think about maybe tagging a couple of household items like maybe the TV or jewelry box with a couple of those GPS tracker doodads so I could find my way "home" again.

An interesting use of the tile technology, to be sure, Bilgemaster. I think I'll just throw caution to the wind and click the 'Take me home' option, in Google Maps, lest I find that my wife fed a GPS tile to a bear, in the hopes I'd opt for your plan.  ;)