Author Topic: 1959 Indian Trailblazer  (Read 18794 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #45 on: September 10, 2022, 05:34:18 pm
Thank you, Tony! Glad he's still going strong.  :)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: September 12, 2022, 10:48:01 pm
So I'm in the process of re-assembling the rear wheel. Fitted the new bearings but inserting the axle was difficult as it seemed to catch on something. Seemed the spacer was damaged a bit when removing old bearings. Plus the axle itself was sort of pitted so cleaned cleaned it and the inside of the axle hole with some 1200 wet and dry and now works ok.

Tried my hand at lacing the wheel. I had to assemble and disassemble a few times before I got it right but with the help of some other enthusiasts, its done. I now know for next time - keep the left and right, inner and outer spokes together. Should be 4 piles. I just bunched them all together without paying attention...Wrong. Anyway, I learned the difference between inner and outer so it's together. I'm just tensioning the spokes up now, then get onto the front wheel.

Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: September 23, 2022, 06:22:57 am
G'day All, I've dismantled my front forks but forgot to note which way the springs go. The springs have a tight coil for about 6" on one end. Does that go at the top or bottom of the forks?
Thanks and regards
Tony
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #48 on: September 23, 2022, 07:04:34 am
The tighter coils are heavier per unit of length. Theoretically they go on the unsprung end, at the top. The spring really doesn't care which way it goes in, the spring rate will operate the same, so no worries.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: September 24, 2022, 11:37:47 am
Thanks for that. I'll get into finishing the forks next.

I've just finished reassembling the wheels. Only setback was the brake cam lever is damaged. All the little teeth that interconnect to the cam spindle are worn off so need a new one of those. I think it's the same as the Indian ones so an eBay special should do.

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: September 26, 2022, 12:28:23 pm
G'day, has anyone had this trouble before?

The fork cap seals (purchased new from Hitchcocks) wont screw down all the way. When forks disassembled, they screw all the way. Very annoying.

Regards
Tv

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: September 26, 2022, 12:29:23 pm
here is a pic of the forks
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: October 05, 2022, 04:14:11 am
G'day All, I'm looking over the 700 twin. Notice the valve spring retaining caps are different. It's the same both sides. Is that normal?

REgards
Tv
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:18:03 am by TonyVanda »
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: October 05, 2022, 06:53:17 am
G’day Tony ,   When you say it’s the same both sides are you referring to the inlet side having the same  miss match retaining caps ?
If so one might assume there is a inlet and exhaust retaining cap ? which round they are meant to be someone else hopefully can chime in .    As I’m totally unfamiliar with your engine I can only offer questions for your answer.

Shaun NZ

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: October 05, 2022, 07:03:37 am
Thanks Shaun, As I'm asking around I've found out there is a difference between earlier and later heads and the type of valve spring collars they used. It also seems the diameter of the springs is different as well.

It looks like mine has an early head on one side and a later head on the other. I'm wondering whether that is ok or whether I should source parts so they are the same both sides.

Any help is much appreciated.
REgards
Tony
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #55 on: October 07, 2022, 04:11:24 am
Hi All, I had a question but I solved it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:03:29 am by TonyVanda »
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #56 on: October 07, 2022, 09:40:48 am
Help... I've now dismantled the motor and one of the cams, broken tappet guide and cam follower have rusted. Can anyone tell me whether the inlet and exhaust cams are identical?
Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: October 07, 2022, 01:29:32 pm
In some cases there were exhaust camshafts used for exhaust and inlet as standard configuration from the factory.
You should check the inscript of the shafts to identify the type of cams used.

Regards,
Andreas

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: October 07, 2022, 09:11:57 pm
Thanks Andreas, They both have the same inscription being EX2 but the person who assembled this motor was rough as guts so anything could happen with this motor. All the nuts are finger tight and most of the cam nuts stripped. The motor is a mess.

I can get a used set of cams but one has IN stamped and the other EX. They look identical but i'd like to know more before I fit them and blow the motor to smithereens.

Regards
Tony
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:35:12 pm by TonyVanda »
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: October 08, 2022, 09:44:19 am
As both configurations were used, you may either use two EX-cams or IN and EX as suggested by definition. I think the one with two EX-cams was the "economy" cnofiguration.