Author Topic: 1959 Indian Trailblazer  (Read 18755 times)

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 09:05:32 pm
These holes are for a special spanner called a face wrench. You might know these from your angle grinder. Please dont use a punch, this will damage the part. You may use some creep oil and heat on the hub, if I doesn't come lose as it is. You can get an adjustable face spanner to use with different hole distances or improvise something by yourself, depending on how your shop is equipped.

Andreas

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 10:01:20 pm
Thanks Andreas. That's very helpful.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 09:50:20 am
Got a question about wheels. I disassembled my rear wheel. Checked for offset but hub looks dead centre. I didnt pay attention when I was pullng the spokes out and half are about 1mm shorter than the other half. Which spokes are the inside of hub and outside of hub or doesnt it really matter?

The book says I should use 20 @ 6 3/16” and 20 @ 6 1/8”.  I measured all mine and they are not consistent (meaning from 154mm to 156mm with about a 3 way split).

Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2022, 06:59:09 pm
I'd use the shorter ones for the inside, but as long as you can tension all of them correctly, I don't think it really matters. Maybe the wheels got rebuilt at some point and the spokesman ( ;D ;D ;D) didn't care too much about consistency.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 11:43:34 pm
Ok, thanks for that. I've asked around down here and got the same response. It's funny, when I try to loosen the first spoke, it snapped clean off. Spewing! I thought it was going to be a mongrel of a job but all the others came off easy. Usually it's the other way around and it's the last one that causes grief.

Thank for your help - much appreciated.
Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 10:56:45 pm
I wonder if those holes weren't an attempt to extract it?

Some clown has had a go at it. I'm still yet to get up to town to buy a pin wrench. I'll drop in at my mates at the same time to find out how to remove the bearings. These are unlike bearings I have dealt with in the past and I dont want to just bash it.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 11:03:37 pm
Spewin'!, A spoke snapped while I was dismantling the rear wheel.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

56trailblazer

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 06:13:55 pm
Looks like a great project Tony. Look forward to following your thread and seeing updates.

Jim

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2022, 12:18:27 pm
I just found out I have a Chiefblazer. 1960 Chief frame, 1959 Chief gearbox and a 1958 Trailblazer engine. The guards and toolbox are Trailblazer and the tank is an aftermarket really big tank. It doesnt have the Trailblazer Indian heads on the side.

What will I cal it? (Chieftenstein)
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 25, 2022, 12:38:28 pm
Are you sure it's a Chief gearbox? if so, that's a bit of a problem, as you will need to use the scissors clutch. This only has three plates and though yo can fit four of the five plate clutch in there, it still is a bit of a borderline experiance torque-wise. But even more nasty is the fact, that you can't buy any sprockets for these, as they use a six spline shaft with bigger diametre instead of five. You may check out Michael Wallers vid regarding this, as I made one for him to use on his "Chiefblazer" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC3SXSF2E8U

So long,
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #25 on: June 25, 2022, 12:54:02 pm
What will I cal it? (Chieftenstein)

1. Bitsa;

2. Post Industry Thoroughbred, as one UK motorcycle journalist described one-make bitsas!

If the identity of the bike is based on its rolling chassis, then Chiefblazer sounds pretty good to me. You could restore it as either model, Trailblazer is probably the easier option.

Do you have a picture of the tank that's on there? For a later trailblazer I suspect it would be the 3 imperial gallon/14L small chrome panel tank with the raised lip around the chrome panel (see Grumbern's picture), same as used on the Super Meteor, early TBs would have the plain tank. The narrower version of the small panel tank as used on Furies and S1 Interceptors would also go on (with some loss of capacity), you can still buy new Indian copies of these.

A.

https://re-indian.com/56catalogue.html

https://re-indian.com/59catalogue.html
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: June 25, 2022, 11:21:32 pm
Thanks Adrian, Bitsa sounds more appropriate than Post Industry Thoroughbred. I've got a pic of the tinware but cant access at the moment. The tank Ive got is in good condition so it's the tank I'll be using. I can stick the Indian stickers on and it'll look fine.

Andreas, the gearbox is something I havent looked at closely yet but I think it's odd. It has a 5 spline shaft which I know is not correct because I have watched Michaels vids (like over and over - they are great) AND, i cant change gears on this box. Something is wrong with it. I was trying to get the rolling chassis happening first but I might have a go at the gearbox while I'm waiting for parts.

I sent the gearbox serial number to Graham Scarth and he confirmed that gearbox AM46 was from a '59 Chief. I'm more interested now. Forget the wheels, I might go have a closer look at this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 11:28:23 pm by TonyVanda »
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: June 25, 2022, 11:33:34 pm
Here is another picture of inside the primary case. Notice the primary chain doesnt seem to fit into the sprocket properly. I noticed this when dismantling and was going to ask the question. Is that normal?

Regards
Tv

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 08:44:49 am
Hi Tony,
that's definitely a Chief gearbox. The drive shaft always has five splines, but it's the main shaft that has six in this case. The sprocket might give some miles before it needs changing, so that's no problem for now.

The primary chain is worn to a state were it becomes dangerous for everything else and has lenghtened a fair bit, wich makes it not fit on the clutch anymore - absolutely replace this one! You will notice this will be very loose and wobbely, once you have it out of there. Hope the sprockets are allright ???

So long,
Andreas

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 09:33:53 am
Hey Andreas
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm slowly getting to know what needs to be done. My parts list is getting longer and longer. Lucky I have help otherwise the finished project would end up a disaster.

Kind regards
Tony
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!