Author Topic: Jampot Vintage Bike Rally Catskills NY  (Read 1988 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: April 03, 2022, 03:16:24 pm
Hello, for those that may be interested, I heard about this on one of my Moto Guzzi forums but it seems more proper for Royal Enfield owners. I will be riding my Classic 500 up from NJ, a little over 3 hours for my preferred route through Phoenicia and Hunter Mountain. Camping is $15 and but I sprung for 2 nights in the simple hotel rooms provided at $95 a night. The rally is $65 or $75 if you want the provided local craft beer. This includes 2 dinners and a breakfast. There are also group rides to explore the Catskills. Anyone that knows the area knows that the roads are spectacular and perfect for Enfielding. Send me a note if you would like any more info, not that I know much more. I am not big on bike gatherings of too many in one place but this looks like fun and there will lots of cool bikes. I hope to see some of you there. Note, the Black Thorne Resort looks quite nice but we will be staying 1 mile away at the resorts event facility the Weldon House, very basic but a bed with clean sheets beats a tent in the rain. JMO
9fingers

https://www.jampotrallye.org/

https://www.blackthorneresort.com/weldon-house/
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 07:16:41 pm
Fun Fact: that rally in the Catskills up near Durham is smack in the midst of what used to be colloquially referred to in New York City in the past century as "The Irish Alps", since it was a popular destination for the better off ethnic Irish residents of the city to escape the stifling heat of summer in the city for a time.

Meanwhile up in Boston, "The Irish Alps" as in, "Uncle Georgie's in The Irish Alps", remains a popular euphemism for a stint, often court-ordered, in an Alcoholic Detox Facility, also known as a "30-Day Spin-Dry".

Frankly, either traditional scenario seems promising.

"Why not join us in The Irish Alps?"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 07:18:43 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 03:02:46 pm
It just FIGURES that Bilgemaster would be totally up to speed on the history of the area in question. And I am glad he came along to comment, as I used his term "Enfielding", which I first saw in one of his postings, and it is a perfect term from cruising country roads on a perfect day on a Classic 500. I have ridden both 650s, and they very good motorcycles, but not as good for "Enfielding". I will need to try a Himalayan one of these days. In any case, the rally should be a hoot, even though I normally prefer to ride and travel alone, or perhaps with one friend. I do know that one member is intending to bring his side car rig and that will be great as I have not met him yet, though we converse on-line now and then.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 07:49:38 am
From the MGNOC website and the only NY Guzzi rally posted is,
Jul 8 to Jul 10, 2022
UP STATE NEW YORK MOTO GUZZI RALLY

Sugarloaf Mountain Inn is at 152 Bryant Siding Road, Owls Head/Mountain View, New York 12969. 518-483-1144. FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT DINNERS at Sugarloaf Mountain Inn, Mountain View, New York. PRE-REGISTER IF POSSIBLE. Rally Fee $65, Send to: Keith Smith, MGNOC Rep, 584 Keese Mills Road, Paul Smiths, New York 12970. Information: call or text 518-354-0087. Email: goosedown@roadrunner.com. You can also pay at the door.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 02:12:57 pm
In case anyone's interested in the history of "The Irish Alps", they might enjoy The Irish Catskills: Dancing at the Crossroads at http://video.wmht.org/video/2365725585/.

It's a bit more low key "Ken Burnsy" than a dramatic Dirty Dancing, but I enjoyed it and now suddenly find myself with a hankering for corned beef and cabbage.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Jacko

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 01:56:11 am
See you there!