Author Topic: What is the proper way to fit a helmet?  (Read 2140 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 06:18:17 pm
Here it is Grasshopper -  Sturdy shoes, spine armor, heavy gloves, shin & thigh guard pads pants, breathable slidable jacket with armor, all these send out a "you're a hostile universe" vibe. The universe obviously responds by bringing hostility to bear, as that's apparently what you want.  I think it's the sweatsuit that protects this video guy, sweatsuits generally aren't the harbingers of hostility. Well maybe for the Sopranos...  :o 8)

Qigong For Cleansing & Clearing Energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIr88AWXWg
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 09:36:44 pm
Which means full face helmets are inherently more dangerous because you crash with them more often ?
Started with flip lids when I bought the GoldWing and left the 'fast' bikes alone...
There's always the risk compensation theory...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 10:06:04 pm
Great article! That certainly explains "self-driving car" fatalities. As a California driver, apparently between seat belts and generally good availability of medical care our highways are full of 50 year old teenagers.  :P

The Peltzman effect can also result in a redistributing effect where the consequences of risky behaviour are increasingly felt by innocent parties (see moral hazard). By way of example, if a risk-tolerant driver responds to driver-safety interventions, such as compulsory seat belts, crumple zones, antilock brakes, etc. by driving faster with less attention, then this can result in increases in injuries and deaths to pedestrians.

However, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released a study in 2010 that found motorcycles with ABS were 37 percent less likely to be involved in a fatal crash than models without ABS.[22] A 2004 study found that ABS reduced the risk of multiple vehicle crashes by 18 percent, but had increased the risk of run-off-road crashes by 35 percent.[23]

A 1994 research study of people who both wore and habitually did not wear seatbelts concluded that drivers were found to drive faster and less carefully when belted.[24]

Hmmm...another data point? :o
Hilaree Nelson: US mountaineer missing after 'skiing into crevasse'
By Max Matzahttps://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63041973
Rescuers in Nepal are searching for the famed US mountaineer Hilaree Nelson after she went missing on the world's eighth tallest mountain.
Ms Nelson reportedly fell into a deep crevasse during a ski descent on Monday.
The North Face-sponsored athlete had earlier reached the summit of Mount Manaslu in Nepal with her partner.
On the same day, one person was killed and more than a dozen injured in an avalanche lower down on the same peak.
While search operations were hampered by bad weather on Monday, by Tuesday morning Nepalese rescue workers were able to use a helicopter to search for Ms Nelson.
One of the climbers injured in the avalanche, Phurte Sherpa, told the Associated Press that two unsuccessful helicopter search attempts had been made.
Ms Nelson, 49, slipped and appeared to fall into a 2,000ft (600m) gap in the ice, known as a crevasse, only 15 minutes after reaching the summit of the 26,781ft peak, according to witness accounts.
A local guide that had been working with the couple told Outside magazine that other climbers who were with them reported that "her ski blade skidded off and [she] fell off the other side of the peak".
According to reports, her partner, Jim Morrison, was able to safely return to camp after the incident.
Ms Nelson and Mr Morrison are among the most accomplished alpinists and backcountry skiers in the world.
Based out of the US state of Colorado in the Rocky Mountains, the romantic couple have skied off some of the world's tallest and most forbidding peaks.
In 2018, they became the first to ever ski down Mount Lhotse in Nepal, the world's fourth-highest peak.
She is also the first woman to ever climb both Mount Everest and Mount Lhotse in a single 24-hour period.
"With a career spanning two decades that includes dozens of first descents through more than 40 expeditions to 16 different countries, Hilaree Nelson is the most prolific ski mountaineer of her generation," North Face says about her on their website.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 10:16:36 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 09:24:44 am
Qigong For Cleansing & Clearing Energy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIr88AWXWg

When I was 14 I saw Easy Rider and was fascinated by a scene in the movie that took place at the commune with a guy doing weird movements that made no sense to me. Years later I realized he was doing the long form of Tai Ji Chuan (Kung Fu in common speak) as I took up the practice. What you see old people doing in the park is slow motion martial arts though they don't make the connection. I've never gone all Bruce Lee on anyone but have sparred now and then. It is a beneficial practice for mind and body. I'm lucky to have a master of the art and good friend who lives just down the road as a mentor. One of my most memorable and powerful times of doing the long form was on a motorcycle trip some years back in Utah. I had camped at Bryce Canyon, got up early and at dawn with the sun coming up and the canyon and the hoo doo's in front of me standing precariously on the edge went through the form, it was a great experience  that left me very centered.