Author Topic: Ignition switch  (Read 5912 times)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
on: August 07, 2020, 08:19:12 pm
Two days ago, I turned the ignition switch (key) to "on" but nothing happened.....turned off, jiggled the key and then it did turn on.

Today...riding along the bike quit dead.....rolled to the shoulder...turned off the key, then back on....it started just fine!

I've heard of issues with the ignition key switch from others....

If the issue continues and becomes a problem, I will do what I did for my cafe racer...just remove that huge honkin' switch mechanism, and replace with a waterproof toggle switch (or two switches if it is wired that way)

Cookie

phunky1

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 08:32:07 pm
I have the issue with the ignition as well.  I thought maybe since I had replaced turn signals and LED bulb I had a short or something.  It seems to occur for me when I kinda turn the key, if I turn all the way without being "gentle" and fully to the right I never seem to have the issue.

I also experienced the weird shutoff too, but only 1 or 2 times in the same ride then never again and luckily at stops.  I also assumed the electrical work I did was bad, went back and double checked everything and made it as tidy as possible.  No shutoffs since then, ignition issue still happened but thinking about it now it has been a while since I have experienced it.

;D

aussie650

• Scooter
  • 2019 Interceptor..AUSTRALIA
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:39:41 pm
Had similar issue with the Interceptor, only twice, in 5000 klms.  Turned key to ignition on...nothing. Turned off, turned on ..all ok.

Ignition switch??? ??? ??? Will investigate if it happens again.

Aussie

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 11:25:14 am
I have always had the same problem on mine. I have traced it down to the electrical part of the switch having a lot of backlash with the mechanical part. I will fix it when the mood takes me but all I do now is to turn on as normal, back off the switch only untill it turns off and then back on again. That takes care of the backlash. I look on it as a sort of security device. If you "play" with your switch(s) feeling it back and forth sort of like picking a lock you can easily detect the backlash. The key basicly over rotates the electrical contacts and just needs turning back a bit to re-establish contact.
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee
2018 Royal Enfield Bullet
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 02:08:06 am
Yep...what you describe is exactly what mine does.....I turn the key, if it doesn't turn the bike "on" I turn the key back just a bit, and it makes contact.

Our motorcycle school has about 200 old motorcycles from the 1980's...most need a jiggle of the key to get them to turn on!

Cookie

I have always had the same problem on mine. I have traced it down to the electrical part of the switch having a lot of backlash with the mechanical part. I will fix it when the mood takes me but all I do now is to turn on as normal, back off the switch only untill it turns off and then back on again. That takes care of the backlash. I look on it as a sort of security device. If you "play" with your switch(s) feeling it back and forth sort of like picking a lock you can easily detect the backlash. The key basicly over rotates the electrical contacts and just needs turning back a bit to re-establish contact.

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:48:47 am
I had the the same problem with mine.
I managed to fix the issue by removing the switch and loosening the electrical contact assembly on the bottom and rotating it slightly relative to the switch body and then re-tightening. I've not had an issue since.
Previous bikes: FS1E, TS185, KH250, RD250D, CB400N, RD350LC, GSF600 Bandit, CB900F, FZR1000.

dcolak

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 01:57:56 am
Same problem with my bike. Sometimes it does not turn it off, so I turn the key off and on until it actually turns on.
Triumph 800XC, Royal Enfield 650GT

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 11:41:23 pm
Not had this problem yet but I am sure it is coming along with all the other BS that has gone on.
Still, when the bike goes it is still great fun to ride and when shite goes wrong I get to take my frustration out on the dealer so all is good.
2020 Baker Express

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:37:52 am
If you expected the RE to be "perfect" without some issues, you bought the wrong bike.

Cookie

Not had this problem yet but I am sure it is coming along with all the other BS that has gone on.
Still, when the bike goes it is still great fun to ride and when shite goes wrong I get to take my frustration out on the dealer so all is good.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:54 am
If you expected the RE to be "perfect" without some issues, you bought the wrong bike.

Cookie

I did not expect it to be perfect but in the 5 weeks l have owned it  I have been down for 2.5 weeks. By the time I get it in the shop this weekend and they keep it for a week it will have been off the road more than on it >:(. Still it is August in Floriduh so it is our equivalent to December in Boise ID ;D ;D
2020 Baker Express

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 01:29:00 am

Cookie

Price is definitely a factor in Interceptor sales.  You often see people comment they would have otherwise got a Triumph or Guzzi V7 but the Interceptor was just exceptional value for money and too good a deal to miss.

Providing most of the issues that come up are minor annoyances (as opposed to leave you stranded at midnight in the rain miles from any where) it does seem hard to justify the extra expense of the other bikes.  Especially since the two main alternate options (Triumph and Moto Guzzi) have also had their share of reliability issues in the past.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 02:53:05 am
If "reliability" is the question, "Triumph" ain't the answer!

ah...Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki....

Cookie

Price is definitely a factor in Interceptor sales.  You often see people comment they would have otherwise got a Triumph or Guzzi V7 but the Interceptor was just exceptional value for money and too good a deal to miss.

Providing most of the issues that come up are minor annoyances (as opposed to leave you stranded at midnight in the rain miles from any where) it does seem hard to justify the extra expense of the other bikes.  Especially since the two main alternate options (Triumph and Moto Guzzi) have also had their share of reliability issues in the past.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 08:45:12 pm
Glad this came up.
Last night my bike shut off in mid-flight. Smooth road, right hand sweeper. Just jiggled the key and it fired back up. Nothing since.

Mine is a 2020 in the USA.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 10:18:41 pm
Won't a trip to the dealer fix this?
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 11:15:51 pm
Won't a trip to the dealer fix this?

Eventually that will be the case. But right now it seems to be limited to just a few users. (I think 3 others, here)
I was by my dealer today. They are very good and he wanted to know as much as possible but ...
After it happened I tried to get it to disconnect again by jiggles, pulls and pushes. Nope.
I haven't had time to look at the shop manual to see if there is an illustration that might point to a suspect.
Anyone handy with photo recognition to see what other brans also use this switch?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R