Author Topic: chain oiler  (Read 9065 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 03:05:39 am
Hi Gizzo, could you put up some photo's please as I'm thinking of putting one on my Interceptor but am not sure where to put it?
Here you go. One of the container mounted, another of the drip feed thing.
Hope these make sense.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 02:36:55 pm
Yep...exact same product as the expensive one.(nemo)...only difference is the retail packaging. Cost around AU 50 bucks landed.  I mounted it down low as it was a pain on the bars. Nowhere to mount on existing stuff and would have required another bracket/clamp .
That looks neat. Much of a fuss to fit?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 05:21:48 pm
Not really. Bending the wire bracket that the drip feed head hangs from is the most time consuming part. You have to get the bends just right. Other than that, it's easy.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #48 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:46 pm
Not really. Bending the wire bracket that the drip feed head hangs from is the most time consuming part. You have to get the bends just right. Other than that, it's easy.
Cool, thanks.

I've just ordered one, as it looks the cleanest option,  as well as the cheapest.
Soon it'll be on a slow boat from China. Should arrive before lockdown end.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 11:24:31 pm
Cool, thanks.

I've just ordered one, as it looks the cleanest option,  as well as the cheapest.
Soon it'll be on a slow boat from China. Should arrive before lockdown end.

Good luck! If it's the same as the one on my bikes it'll be coming from the UK. The guy who makes them takes ages to get them out but they arrive eventually.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #50 on: May 10, 2020, 11:26:13 pm
Yep...exact same product as the expensive one.(nemo)...only difference is the retail packaging. Cost around AU 50 bucks landed.  I mounted it down low as it was a pain on the bars. Nowhere to mount on existing stuff and would have required another bracket/clamp .

Nice one. That looks clean.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 11:36:26 am
Here you go. One of the container mounted, another of the drip feed thing.
Hope these make sense.

Thanks, yeah it'll have to go somewhere else but I'm happy you didn't have issues with a fairly low oil run as that's what I'm thinking.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: October 01, 2022, 10:00:11 am
Zombie thread I know but...

I'm trying to transfer my Loobman from my Himalayan to my new Classic 500.
Has anyone managed to fit one to a C5? Where did you put it?
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

JesusA

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: October 01, 2022, 02:28:50 pm
Hello, in my opinion one good device for chain oiler is the Scottoiler X-System. Is not easy to fix to the motorbike, the most complicate issue is to fix the bottle dosificator to the frame, but if you get it is very efficient. I attach some pictures.
Jesus

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: October 01, 2022, 02:31:50 pm
I don’t know so I’m just asking, do any motorcycles come from the factory with chain oilers?
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

JesusA

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: October 01, 2022, 02:34:27 pm
As far as I know, no. And is something that I do not understand because chain will need take care for sure.
Jesus

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: October 01, 2022, 03:05:03 pm
Hello, in my opinion one good device for chain oiler is the Scottoiler X-System. Is not easy to fix to the motorbike, the most complicate issue is to fix the bottle dosificator to the frame, but if you get it is very efficient. I attach some pictures.
Thanks for the photos however, the Interceptor has an obvious place to mount it, my Classic 500 does not (sorry, when I posted I didn't realised which forum I was in - blame gizzo)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #57 on: October 01, 2022, 03:30:25 pm
I don’t know so I’m just asking, do any motorcycles come from the factory with chain oilers?
Various Honda motorcycles came with them. I use the past tense because I'm pretty sure Honda has abandoned them.
They were very simple and super handy for long-haul rides and commuters. Sadly they exceeded OIQ.

Edit: I should explain, that is a photo of the valve. It sits in the end of the counter shaft, surrounded by the front sprocket (and chain). There is a center screw, like a needle jet, with a lock nut and fabric washer. Tighten in for less /off and creep it out for more oil. And yes, it is the engine oil that sprays the chain.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:43:16 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Locknut

• Bulleteer
  • 20 yr A&P FAA Turbine, Heli, Radial mech, 39 bikes
Reply #58 on: October 01, 2022, 03:40:51 pm
As far as I know, no. And is something that I do not understand because chain will need take care for sure.

Given the potential for somebody going berserk with either over-oiling adjustments, incorrect oil viscosity causing a monsoon onto the tire, or XXX, XXX . . . I doubt we'll ever (again)
see OEM auto'chain  lubing.  Slick-tire deep pocket lawsuits are impressive. . . some companies that provide sidewall auto shine products  have their own concerns of guys 'preserving' the tread too.  It's happened. We consumers can sometimes be amazingly stupid in our distractions.

I mean,  I won't confess to installing a big-bore 836cc kit in the early seventies,  (Honda 750 Four K1) and forgetting to install all the wrist-pin retainers on the pistons.  My soon-to-be girlfriend was hanging around my parents garage in a VERY nice T-shirt as I swapped the hardware.    :-\  Seeing a baggie of retainers on the worktable, engine all buttoned up with long-ordered parts pre-internet.  . . . . :( >:(   

Yeah . . that 750 had an "oiler" on the CSS shaft.  It was relatively ineffective for getting oil to the chain.  EVERYTHING else was nicely oiled.
Ohhh,btw . ..  Back then was pre-O ring chains ,  and we needed a LOT of oil to prevent ridiculous fast chain wear.  Today's modern biker has it easy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:54:13 pm by Locknut »
You never seem to have the time to do it right,  but you'll ALWAYS have time to do it over.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #59 on: October 01, 2022, 04:59:44 pm
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a chain oiler  ???
all my bikes for the last 40 years have been shaft drive  Bm, and Honda 's ------Frank-----
I have had oilers (scotoiler)on previous bikes.I will say that if you are into high mileages and touring it's worth it otherwise save money with a jar of gear oil and brush and lube when required.
Just looked at the date on the original post.This is an old post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:32:18 pm by James. »
Freedom.