Author Topic: chain oiler  (Read 9063 times)

Tinker55

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: April 26, 2020, 08:13:19 pm
Personally, I don't need an automatic garage floor oiler.

I do; my mother in law is coming to stay with us and I've offered some space in the garage for her bicycle; gnagnagna...

(and before anyone gets upset: I'm joking....... she doesn't ride a bicycle  ;D ;D ;D)
2020 Int 650

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #31 on: April 26, 2020, 09:36:40 pm
Enough about chain oil! Can't we get back to what's really important? What's the best oil to use in your engine?  ::)

THAT WAS A JOKE!!!

I don't care if you use Wesson or Amsoil special pyramid plan!

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard an actual chain oiler user say it's not messy.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2020, 01:42:07 am
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard an actual chain oiler user say it's not messy.
I read up a bit on the Loobman which can be purchased for less than 23 english pounds and it is semi-automatic.  One holds the button down to release oil to the system, which then is distributed by capillary action via a couple of flexy nylon fingers to the sides of the sprocket.  Presumably, after some experimentation, one could gauge the amount of oil needed for their particular requirements.  It's also apparently a thing to increase the size of the "feedpipe", which is the plastic tube running between the reservoir and the oiler head, by putting a series of "S" turns in the tubing.

If anyone is interested in more detail, here's a link to the maker's site.   http://www.loobman.co.uk/faqs.asp
I find that I'm always more inclined to trust sellers that represent themselves with a web site that is NOT slick and polished.  Makes me think that the product must have some merit, cause it's definitely NOT the sexy website selling them.

I'm not fond of the fact that the Loobman delivers oil to the rollers and the insides of the inner chain plates.  I like to get my chain oil on the edges of the interface between inner and outer chainplates.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #33 on: April 27, 2020, 09:38:18 pm
Tune for every time you go into your garage with a chain oiler on your bike.
https://youtu.be/5anMTZjVsL8
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: April 27, 2020, 10:03:59 pm
I always thought oilers were for Iron Butt riders and Britons who ride underwater.My 71 CB750 had one that applied engine oil to the unsealed chains of the period. I used it in the rainy season to prevent rust.
Lurker on a Vespa

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #35 on: April 27, 2020, 10:18:50 pm
Thanks to Jay Leno's damn Garage videos, my next bike is currently being built. Like a belt drive? Prefer a shaft? How about a chain? This bike has a belt, shaft and three chains :o . There may be a chain oiler or thee in my future ;)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #36 on: April 28, 2020, 12:51:10 am
The only oil on my garage floor is coming from the bike that shouldn't be leaking : the CRF450.

Had a lazy day at home with the offspring yesterday so we put chain oiler on my CGT as well.  She's quite the zip tie technician now.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2020, 12:53:17 am
I do; my mother in law is coming to stay with us and I've offered some space in the garage for her bicycle; gnagnagna...

(and before anyone gets upset: I'm joking....... she doesn't ride a bicycle  ;D ;D ;D)

My mother in law doesn't visit any more. She's a greyhound/whippet person and won't leave her dogs home. We have a Staffordshire X ridgeback that hates dogs. Easy.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #38 on: May 02, 2020, 11:40:54 pm
My mother in law doesn't visit any more. She's a greyhound/whippet person and won't leave her dogs home. We have a Staffordshire X ridgeback that hates dogs. Easy.

My three beagles...They will pack hunt any visitors dogs into a corner and keep them there...They don't do it for fun...they do it for treats. Mother is not impressed, but we no longer get unwanted visitors....Ridgebacks are nice dogs too. Ours tried corralling a big greyhound at the dog park once, but couldn't catch it..she thought they we're playing.....even the greyhound owner was laughing with us at that one..lol...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Malcoooom

• Neophyte
Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 03:59:30 pm
Well, here's a Scottoiler on an interceptor.  You pay your money and see what you think.  I like it, I have never thought adding solvent and cleaning a chain was a good idea with those O rings trying to keep a seal to keep that long term oil around the rollers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZL9Mj91Gds&t=3s

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 04:39:18 am
I fitted a gidibi manual oiler that seems to work. Has to be better than my remembering to clean and lube....

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 09:54:37 am
Funny you mention it, Frank. I just fitted a Loobman chain oiler to my wife's Monster yesterday. I've been using one for a couple of years on my classic Ducati and my CGT is getting one shortly.

They're easy to fit, cost effective and work excellently.  Would recommend.
Hi Gizzo, could you put up some photo's please as I'm thinking of putting one on my Interceptor but am not sure where to put it?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 10:59:14 am
I fitted a gidibi manual oiler that seems to work. Has to be better than my remembering to clean and lube....

that's the one where you give the top a bit of a turn to dose the chain, beags?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 11:02:54 am
Hi Gizzo, could you put up some photo's please as I'm thinking of putting one on my Interceptor but am not sure where to put it?

Sure thing. I'll do it when I get home from work in the morning. Bear in mind mine's a CGT 535 single so will be a bit different to your INT. The oil container is stuck to the front of the airbox using the supplied plastic bracket and double sided sticky thing. Time will tell how long the stickiness lasts...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 02:02:28 am
that's the one where you give the top a bit of a turn to dose the chain, beags?

Yep...exact same product as the expensive one.(nemo)...only difference is the retail packaging. Cost around AU 50 bucks landed.  I mounted it down low as it was a pain on the bars. Nowhere to mount on existing stuff and would have required another bracket/clamp .