Author Topic: chain oiler  (Read 9058 times)

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #60 on: October 01, 2022, 05:04:47 pm
I don’t know so I’m just asking, do any motorcycles come from the factory with chain oilers?

BMW used to sell Scottoilers re-badged as BMW units (as an option). DK if this is still the case. I have a Scottoiler on my GS, and it works as advertised — when properly adjusted, the chain stays lightly oiled and remains clean, as the Scott lubricant (basically automatic transmission fluid) has such a low tack that it essentially repels dirt.

When I had the oiler installed, the chain was covered in black paste from my previous use of Maxima chain wax. I didn’t clean the chain, just rode the bike with the new oiler. In a couple of hundred miles the chain was clean.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:08:18 pm by ReddingRider »
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: October 01, 2022, 06:04:19 pm
Hello, in my opinion one good device for chain oiler is the Scottoiler X-System. Is not easy to fix to the motorbike, the most complicate issue is to fix the bottle dosificator to the frame, but if you get it is very efficient. I attach some pictures.

That looks good.

Simms

• In the past
  • Scooter
  • It's not the destination, It's the journey
Reply #62 on: October 01, 2022, 08:11:29 pm
Hello, in my opinion one good device for chain oiler is the Scottoiler X-System. Is not easy to fix to the motorbike, the most complicate issue is to fix the bottle dosificator to the frame, but if you get it is very efficient. I attach some pictures.

Cable tied to the cable loom, under the LH side panel (hidden) ... It works for me, just a bit of a pain to check the oil level  :(
1977 Honda CB 200 "in go faster Green"
1981 Honda CB 550 FourK
1987 Kawasaki Z550 B
1989 Honda CB 550 Fourk
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Mk 2

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #63 on: October 02, 2022, 08:59:57 am
Various Honda motorcycles came with them. I use the past tense because I'm pretty sure Honda has abandoned them.
They were very simple and super handy for long-haul rides and commuters. Sadly they exceeded OIQ.

Edit: I should explain, that is a photo of the valve. It sits in the end of the counter shaft, surrounded by the front sprocket (and chain). There is a center screw, like a needle jet, with a lock nut and fabric washer. Tighten in for less /off and creep it out for more oil. And yes, it is the engine oil that sprays the chain.

I had no idea that was a thing. Genius.

I don’t know so I’m just asking, do any motorcycles come from the factory with chain oilers?

Same as they don't typically come with quad locks, or USB charging ports or pannier brackets or crash bars or throttle locks.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

bodega bob

• Scooter
Reply #64 on: October 02, 2022, 03:03:01 pm
The T150V Triumph Trident in 1972 had a chain oiler built into the oil tank. Just inside the oil filler was a screw to adjust the flow to a hose that went to a drip nozzle on the swingarm. There was a tendency to oil too much of the rotating assembly, so many riders chose to shut it off entirely.

Alan F.

• Grease Monkey
  • We remember the Night Rider, & we know who You are
Reply #65 on: October 03, 2022, 05:42:29 am
Yes it's an old thread, but the best topics never go away. How about a fully enclosed chain guard?

Tonight I ordered some brake fluid reserviors, inline petcocks and some 3mm 'Y' fittings from ebay, they were really cheap and should be here by the end of December, don't ask where they're coming from. Hopefully they'll be worth the $10 I spent and with some clear tubing, zip ties and some tiny diameter brass tubing JB-welded to the 'Y' fittings, I'll be able to put a pair of cheap systems together, one for my 650 and another for a Honda project bike.

I figure a small reservoir set to oil very lightly will be much better chain maintenance than my regular neglectful habits.
North of Boston, MA - 2020 Orange Crush INT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: October 03, 2022, 06:04:25 am
Yes it's an old thread, but the best topics never go away. How about a fully enclosed chain guard?

I had one of them on my Yamaha TR1 (v-twin, 1000cc, touring model, not the chopper). Big plastic sheath enclosing the chain and sprockets. Apparently the chain ran in grease. This was before 0-ring chains. Worked perfectly.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #67 on: October 03, 2022, 08:39:06 am
I had one of them on my Yamaha TR1 (v-twin, 1000cc, touring model, not the chopper). Big plastic sheath enclosing the chain and sprockets. Apparently the chain ran in grease. This was before 0-ring chains. Worked perfectly.
Yes, that was a copy of the MZ / CZ chain enclosure.

Frank