Author Topic: chain oiler  (Read 8998 times)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 12:52:47 pm
Neglecting a chain for 5000 kilometers?  That's child abuse!

The "zen" stuff is 1/2 the fun of a motorcycle!  Just sayin'

Cookie

Yeah, I don't think so, but to each their own.  Despite being lubricated and sealed, o ring chains still need care.  I neglected one on a 5000km trip last year and ruined it.

Considering all the other farkles people put on their bikes (clocks,  tank grips, checkerd flag stripes,  phone mounts,  USB ports et al) a chain oiler is a most useful accessory. I'm not a fan of geegaws and farkles but I'm a chain oiler convert.

Cleaning and lubing a chain is a zen time I can do without. Especially on bikes without centre stands or swingarm bobbins (hello Monster). I don't enjoy chain cleaning. I'd rather fit tyres,  TBH.

If you set up and use the oiler properly, it puts the right amount of lube exactly where it's needed. The oil keeps the chain clean and vanishes slowly, taking the dirt with it. Contrast this with chain lube aerosols: half of it goes not on the chain, the rest flings off into the rim and tyre. If it doesn't fling, it also doesn't lube the chain very well. And makes a filthy gummy caked on mess that takes forever to clean off.

The exception for me is my track bike. I won't use an oiler on that. A crash spilling the oil isn't worth it. And I don't care about chain life on that one.

Like you, I was sceptical about the benefits of the oiler but bought the cheap Loobman as an experiment to satisfy my curiosity. It was $50,  so not much to lose there.  Look at the picture of the clean wheel and chain on my Ducati. This chain hasn't been touched in 10,000km. That's not to say the rest of the bike is neglected. It's very well cared for.

Spraying the chain might only take moments, but really takes longer if you're doing it properly. Using my chain oiler takes a 20 sec push off a button every time I fill the tank.  That's it,  done. The oil's basically free for the tiny amount that's used. No special oil, I'm just using 85-140 gear oil. It tends to stay where it's needed and goes away in microscopic droplets. No mess.

I could go in and on but you get the picture. I don't have a dog in this fight  but maybe don't knock it until you've tried it.  Like I said, to each their own and if you love chain maintenance good luck to you. There something for everyone.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 12:57:21 pm
Dude, take a chill pill.....

Jimku is a cool dude, and a great sense of humor!

Poking a bit of fun among friends is what it is all about....no harm to anybody, none intended.

Tire, tyre......that's funny!

Cookie

Only in America is tyre spelt as tire...so before you start heaping sh*t on other people, how about getting your facts right and displaying a bit of tolerance to others.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 01:32:12 pm
Hey..there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I just put my opinion out there.  I respect your opinion (even though you are way off)...just kidding!!!!

Cookie

Yeah, I know. I wasn't having a dig. Just 'splainin why I think oilers are a good thing and relating my experience with them. I hear ya, I'd have a little man do all my dirty work if I had all the moneys too.

I do loathe chain cleaning. The mess, and that stupid brush that gets all shagged out after cleaning half a chain and never works properly after that.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 01:34:22 pm
Neglecting a chain for 5000 kilometers?  That's child abuse!

Cookie

IKR? I gave it a squirt the first day of the trip then pretty much forgot about it for the next 7. Until it started squeaking like a bastard 400km from home.

Thinking "stay on, chain, there's a good chain"

Killed a chain in 8 days.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:48:06 pm by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 01:35:18 pm
Dude, take a chill pill.....

Jimku is a cool dude, and a great sense of humor!

Poking a bit of fun among friends is what it is all about....no harm to anybody, none intended.

Tire, tyre......that's funny!

Cookie

Nah. That kind of humour would get your head punched in where Beagle and I come from.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 01:45:37 pm
Hello Beagle, Jimco was clearly joking. I'm a New Yorker and nobody screws up the English language or sounds worse! I get a ribbbin' anywhere I go.  Enuf a dat.

Chain lubing on my Hayabusa is a pain in the ass- no room, no centre(sorry) stand, no nuttin'. I used to use these commercial chain lubes, and the bike always looked like shit.

A few years back I cleaned the mess up with kerosene and started using Maxima chain wax. Vast improvement. I only lube the chain once or twice a season, occasionally. Bike always looks mint, no dirt or black gook. The chain and sprockets are original, with 14,000 miles. I don't think these "new" o or x-ring chains require too much lubing. Just a light coating of "wax" to prevent rust and give a little protection for the o- rings.
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 01:46:59 pm
Over 20 years ago the Chain Gang, the BMW F650GS single (Funduro) forum, was singing the praises of using automatic transmission oil in automatic oilers. It was said that keeping your chain lubed with that cheap stuff (they used the original formula, not the new designer lubes) could make it and your sprockets last for over 100K miles.  However, it did fling off the chain and on to the rear wheel, so it would make a mess.

I never tried it, using Chain Wax at the time, which I don't use anymore because it really cakes on the chain and turns into a glob of difficult to remove wax. But it is true that it doesn't fling off and keeps the rear wheel clean. I just don't know how well it lubricates a chain.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 01:55:53 pm

Hello Beagle, Jimco was clearly joking. I'm a New Yorker and nobody screws up the English language or sounds worse! I get a ribbbin' anywhere I go.  Enuf a dat.

Chain lubing on my Hayabusa is a pain in the ass- no room, no centre(sorry) stand, no nuttin'. I used to use these commercial chain lubes, and the bike always looked like shit.

A few years back I cleaned the mess up with kerosene and started using Maxima chain wax. Vast improvement. I only lube the chain once or twice a season, occasionally. Bike always looks mint, no dirt or black gook. The chain and sprockets are original, with 14,000 miles. I don't think these "new" o or x-ring chains require too much lubing. Just a light coating of "wax" to prevent rust and give a little protection for the o- rings.

it's interesting for sure, how much life vs care different people get from their chains. Guys on a local forum claim 50,000km from an x ring chain with zero maintainence. Others swear by chain wax. Yet others won't go near it. I don't think it's great, personally. It seems to turn into big globs. Maybe I pile too much on. But your experience with the 'Busa says different.

A mate of mine has a great solution. He buys machinery chain in bulk, puts a chain on his dirt bike, rides for the day then throws it out. Pure genius.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 02:08:20 pm
Spelt is a species of wheat cultivated since approximately 5000 BC 😉
Just saying!😂😂😂

That was my first thought. And that 7,000+ year old predecessor of our wheat can still be found on the shelves at your local Whole Foods. They don't really rotate the stock on their shelves often enough, I guess. Try it in a nice Irish Soda Bread with raisins and nuts and a few oatmeal flakes, fellow shut-ins. Simple and delicious! If you've never made bread before, it's an easy, quick and forgiving one to start with. Plenty of recipes on line. Feast like a Roman!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:33:50 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 02:18:28 pm

Nah. That kind of humour would get your head punched in where Beagle and I come from.

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 04:28:51 pm
I have an X-Ring chain on the Triumph Thunderbird with ~17,000 miles of use with on again off again indifferent maintenance and cleaning. It does get lubed about every 1000 miles using DuPont Chain Saver Teflon lubricant which does not attract dirt and grime.

I have no idea if it’s the X-Ring chain or the lube or both but the chain still has 5,000 miles left in it at the least. :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 04:56:54 pm
I don't get all wrapped up about the chain life drama.
I just lube it when I remember to do it, and put on a new chain when it wears out.

Tires, oil, chains, filters,...etc.
Just part of riding.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 05:05:11 pm
I kinda agree, but it's a Sunday in the lockdown and it killed 30 minutes for me.

Not least with that lovely spat about how spelt is spelt or not spelt!

Now I'm tired of it I might look at some tyre stuff. 😝

Husqy

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 06:17:12 pm
Well , It seems like chain lubrication is a bit like asking what oil ,or what tyer's /tires  to use lol
 think i'll just lube it when I remember , and buy a new one when it's knackerd !!! ;D ;D
 But it has moved the day on  a bit  ,so it's helped with the 'self isolating '  hope we can all get out soon ,then we might need to 'oil the chain' lol 8) ::)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 07:08:21 pm
Personally, I don't need an automatic garage floor oiler.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8