Author Topic: chain oiler  (Read 8839 times)

Husqy

• Scooter
on: April 25, 2020, 10:22:35 pm
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a chain oiler  ???
all my bikes for the last 40 years have been shaft drive  Bm, and Honda 's ------Frank-----

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:03:51 am
Funny you mention it, Frank. I just fitted a Loobman chain oiler to my wife's Monster yesterday. I've been using one for a couple of years on my classic Ducati and my CGT is getting one shortly.

They're easy to fit, cost effective and work excellently.  Would recommend. 
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:07:08 am
WARNING....Sorry...but brutal honesty coming now....

Sounds like a messy, fussy, costly, unnecessary pain in the Arse to me.

Where does all that oil end up?  and who cleans the chain when it gets dirty?  Don't you need to buy special oil?  Can we think up yet another piece of crap to mount on a bike?  Don't we have o-ring chains...where they are perma-lubed on the inside any way....it's more important to keep an o-ring chain clean than to lube it...but a quick spray, lubes the outer links and prevents rust etc.

Cleaning and lubing a chain gives a person time to "become one" with their bike...relax in the garage....just you and your bike....check things over...clean up stuff...maybe a bit of wax and shine....check the air pressure....tighten a nut or two...check the oil.....sit back and admire the beauty of the machine....

If you put an oiler on your bike...your bike will hate you!  >:(   It will think you are a lazy, uncaring bast'rd

Is is so hard as to buy a $2.99 can of spray lube and Psssst...?

Have a nice day!  8)

Cookie

Funny you mention it, Frank. I just fitted a Loobman chain oiler to my wife's Monster yesterday. I've been using one for a couple of years on my classic Ducati and my CGT is getting one shortly.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:52:01 am
WARNING....Sorry...but brutal honesty coming now....

Sounds like a messy, fussy, costly, unnecessary pain in the Arse to me.

Where does all that oil end up?  and who cleans the chain when it gets dirty?  Don't you need to buy special oil?  Can we think up yet another piece of crap to mount on a bike?  Don't we have o-ring chains...where they are perma-lubed on the inside any way....it's more important to keep an o-ring chain clean than to lube it...but a quick spray, lubes the outer links and prevents rust etc.

Cleaning and lubing a chain gives a person time to "become one" with their bike...relax in the garage....just you and your bike....check things over...clean up stuff...maybe a bit of wax and shine....check the air pressure....tighten a nut or two...check the oil.....sit back and admire the beauty of the machine....

If you put an oiler on your bike...your bike will hate you!  >:(   It will think you are a lazy, uncaring bast'rd

Is is so hard as to buy a $2.99 can of spray lube and Psssst...?

Have a nice day!  8)

Cookie

Yeah, I don't think so, but to each their own.  Despite being lubricated and sealed, o ring chains still need care.  I neglected one on a 5000km trip last year and ruined it.

Considering all the other farkles people put on their bikes (clocks,  tank grips, checkerd flag stripes,  phone mounts,  USB ports et al) a chain oiler is a most useful accessory. I'm not a fan of geegaws and farkles but I'm a chain oiler convert.

Cleaning and lubing a chain is a zen time I can do without. Especially on bikes without centre stands or swingarm bobbins (hello Monster). I don't enjoy chain cleaning. I'd rather fit tyres,  TBH.

If you set up and use the oiler properly, it puts the right amount of lube exactly where it's needed. The oil keeps the chain clean and vanishes slowly, taking the dirt with it. Contrast this with chain lube aerosols: half of it goes not on the chain, the rest flings off into the rim and tyre. If it doesn't fling, it also doesn't lube the chain very well. And makes a filthy gummy caked on mess that takes forever to clean off.

The exception for me is my track bike. I won't use an oiler on that. A crash spilling the oil isn't worth it. And I don't care about chain life on that one.

Like you, I was sceptical about the benefits of the oiler but bought the cheap Loobman as an experiment to satisfy my curiosity. It was $50,  so not much to lose there.  Look at the picture of the clean wheel and chain on my Ducati. This chain hasn't been touched in 10,000km. That's not to say the rest of the bike is neglected. It's very well cared for.

Spraying the chain might only take moments, but really takes longer if you're doing it properly. Using my chain oiler takes a 20 sec push off a button every time I fill the tank.  That's it,  done. The oil's basically free for the tiny amount that's used. No special oil, I'm just using 85-140 gear oil. It tends to stay where it's needed and goes away in microscopic droplets. No mess.

I could go in and on but you get the picture. I don't have a dog in this fight  but maybe don't knock it until you've tried it.  Like I said, to each their own and if you love chain maintenance good luck to you. There something for everyone.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:59:31 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 05:27:36 am
I'm not listening to anybody who can't even spell "tire".   8) :)
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 05:35:39 am
I'm not listening to anybody who can't even spell "tire".   8) :)

Only in America is tyre spelt as tire...so before you start heaping sh*t on other people, how about getting your facts right and displaying a bit of tolerance to others.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 05:54:09 am
In less ecologically enlightened times they often used to poise the far outlet end of the crankcase breather hose over the drive chain so that the occasional mayonnaise-like drop of motor oil condensate might fall into the chain. Other bikes had a hose branching off the oil return line do much the same thing. Some Norton Commandos had this arrangement, though it could be so "over eager" and make such a mess once the little felt bits and/or hose clamps meant to regulate the flow got a little too "incontinent" that many owners simply blocked the whole messy business off. In the end, while it may arguably be "better than nothing", such well-used motor oil isn't exactly an ideal chain lubricant. It's probably better than your mutt cocking his leg over it, sure, but not much. By the time it's slurped around the engine a bit and then crawled down the length of a gassy breather hose, that old motor oil's gotta be pretty well knackered, thin and aciditic with lots of swell little grindy bits that'll give your Renolds' links and rollers little comfort. Far better is nice clean gear oil. If you loaded up one of those Loobman doodads with some 90 weight or similar, and used it every ride, I'd wager you might well get a couple-few thousand extra miles out of a chain and sprockets compared to little or no lube at all or maybe just occasional shots of spray-on chain spew.

As for me, I just keep a clear plastic widemouthed jar of SAE 90 GL-5 gear oil goop with a little chip brush in it that I use to liberally slop a bit onto the lower easy-to-reach run of the chain after each ride, with an old cookie sheet underneath to catch the drippage, which also tends to rinse off any cruds. In this manner the whole chain tends to get lubed every 4 or 5 rides or so...maybe every 100 to 150 miles, depending. The sprocket teeth front and rear get a nice slippery sheen pretty much every ride. Fortunately, I've managed to acquire several free jugs of GL-5 gear oil over the years that I'm never gonna use IN the Enfield (it gets only GL-4 in its separate 5-speed gearbox), so I'm pretty well stocked with ideal chain lube for my old style chain. From time to time I'll also give it a shot of some Liquid Wrench Chain Lube I picked up at Harbor Freight. My OEM chain's got 14,000+ miles on it now, and is still only about a third of the way through the stepped notches of its snail-shaped tension adjuster. The glisteny teeth of my rear sprocket with their light oily sheen would also seem to bode well for reduced wear.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:53:15 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 06:26:08 am
Mr. Gizzo makes a good case for a chain oiler, I've never used one, but out of all the things folks add, that item does seem more practical than most. 

Some thoughts I had while reading through this thread:
    1)  I SURE LOVE having a center stand on my machine!
    2)  I'm surprised "that guy" is still on the forum, but, to his credit, he is much more restrained and respectful than previous, so kudos.
     3)  Bilgemaster makes me feel positively laconic sometimes, but what a joy to read his articles.
     4)  Has anybody besides me tried using chain saw bar oil on their motorcycle chain?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 07:34:34 am
Thanks for the kudos, axmann88. As for Jimku, those smileys concluding his post tell me he was just kidding around, or "taking the mickey", as it were. Fun Fact: "taking the mickey" over here in the Land of the Plastic Spork could be understood as imbibing a knockout drug surreptitiously administered by one who may bear you ill will, especially by older speakers raised on black & white movies.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:53:23 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 07:41:52 am
Only in America is tyre spelt as tire...so before you start heaping sh*t on other people, how about getting your facts right and displaying a bit of tolerance to others.
If you can't appreciate a little humor, please politely stuff it in your boot (excuse me ... trunk ... just so you don't get it all wadded up in your socks).  :)
And is "spelt" even a word?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:44:23 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 09:10:58 am
If you can't appreciate a little humor, please politely stuff it in your boot (excuse me ... trunk ... just so you don't get it all wadded up in your socks).  :)
And is "spelt" even a word?

In an effort to continue in good faith, I shall refrain from further cynicism, but I suggest you might accept other languages and meanings before voicing a negative opinion. Spelt and spelled mean the same over here, so yes it is a word.  Previous comments like " if there's no link it doesn't exist" reflect a demeaning attitude to others, that really does reinforce your personality in a bad light to some, but personally, I don't give a f*ck.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 09:26:44 am
You're far too forgiving,  bilgemaster.  Not to mention erudite, witty, informed and cultivated. 

Getting back to chain oilers: Cookie's comment has me interested in seeing how long it takes for the chain on the monster to clean itself. I started with a clean(ish) chain when I fitted my oiler. Hers is covered in sticky grimy muck from an aerosol. It might mean I have to put some kilometers on her bike (she doesn't ride all that much) but that's a burden I'm willing to bear for the greater good. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:29:51 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Cat3625

• Scooter
  • My need for speed
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 09:47:00 am
Spelt is a species of wheat cultivated since approximately 5000 BC 😉
Just saying!😂😂😂
1966 Continental 250 GT
2001 Bullet 500 k/s
2002 Bullet 350 Trials
2008 Bullet 500 Classic electric start
2016 C5 Military 500 efi
2019 Interceptor 650
U.K.🇬🇧

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 10:29:55 am
Way too much energy and aggravation expended over contributors spelling and grammar.  Life is way too short. Predictive text doesn't help, neither does not actually reading what you think you typed in. Come on people, isn't this forum about enjoying our bikes and riding, not assessing a contributors ability to spell. Be nice to each other or go find an English language forum to vent your annoyances about people's inability to correctly use the written language.
2019 Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 12:15:35 pm
Hey..there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I just put my opinion out there.  I respect your opinion (even though you are way off)...just kidding!!!!

Actually, If I had any money....I would get a chain oiler....

it would be "my man" down in the garage....I would just ring him up, and say....hey..."make sure my chain is cleaned and oiled for my ride tomorrow"...

Every watch Jay Leno's garage on youtube....?   he's got a lot of "my man's" all around his shop!

Cookie

Yeah, I don't think so, but to each their own.  Despite being lubricated and sealed, o ring chains still need care.  I neglected one on a 5000km trip last year and ruined it.

Considering all the other farkles people put on their bikes (clocks,  tank grips, checkerd flag stripes,  phone mounts,  USB ports et al) a chain oiler is a most useful accessory. I'm not a fan of geegaws and farkles but I'm a chain oiler convert.

Cleaning and lubing a chain is a zen time I can do without. Especially on bikes without centre stands or swingarm bobbins (hello Monster). I don't enjoy chain cleaning. I'd rather fit tyres,  TBH.

If you set up and use the oiler properly, it puts the right amount of lube exactly where it's needed. The oil keeps the chain clean and vanishes slowly, taking the dirt with it. Contrast this with chain lube aerosols: half of it goes not on the chain, the rest flings off into the rim and tyre. If it doesn't fling, it also doesn't lube the chain very well. And makes a filthy gummy caked on mess that takes forever to clean off.

The exception for me is my track bike. I won't use an oiler on that. A crash spilling the oil isn't worth it. And I don't care about chain life on that one.

Like you, I was sceptical about the benefits of the oiler but bought the cheap Loobman as an experiment to satisfy my curiosity. It was $50,  so not much to lose there.  Look at the picture of the clean wheel and chain on my Ducati. This chain hasn't been touched in 10,000km. That's not to say the rest of the bike is neglected. It's very well cared for.

Spraying the chain might only take moments, but really takes longer if you're doing it properly. Using my chain oiler takes a 20 sec push off a button every time I fill the tank.  That's it,  done. The oil's basically free for the tiny amount that's used. No special oil, I'm just using 85-140 gear oil. It tends to stay where it's needed and goes away in microscopic droplets. No mess.

I could go in and on but you get the picture. I don't have a dog in this fight  but maybe don't knock it until you've tried it.  Like I said, to each their own and if you love chain maintenance good luck to you. There something for everyone.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 12:52:47 pm
Neglecting a chain for 5000 kilometers?  That's child abuse!

The "zen" stuff is 1/2 the fun of a motorcycle!  Just sayin'

Cookie

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 12:57:21 pm
Dude, take a chill pill.....

Jimku is a cool dude, and a great sense of humor!

Poking a bit of fun among friends is what it is all about....no harm to anybody, none intended.

Tire, tyre......that's funny!

Cookie

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 01:32:12 pm
Hey..there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I just put my opinion out there.  I respect your opinion (even though you are way off)...just kidding!!!!

Cookie

Yeah, I know. I wasn't having a dig. Just 'splainin why I think oilers are a good thing and relating my experience with them. I hear ya, I'd have a little man do all my dirty work if I had all the moneys too.

I do loathe chain cleaning. The mess, and that stupid brush that gets all shagged out after cleaning half a chain and never works properly after that.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 01:34:22 pm
Neglecting a chain for 5000 kilometers?  That's child abuse!

Cookie

IKR? I gave it a squirt the first day of the trip then pretty much forgot about it for the next 7. Until it started squeaking like a bastard 400km from home.

Thinking "stay on, chain, there's a good chain"

Killed a chain in 8 days.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:48:06 pm by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 01:35:18 pm
Dude, take a chill pill.....

Jimku is a cool dude, and a great sense of humor!

Poking a bit of fun among friends is what it is all about....no harm to anybody, none intended.

Tire, tyre......that's funny!

Cookie

Nah. That kind of humour would get your head punched in where Beagle and I come from.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 01:45:37 pm
Hello Beagle, Jimco was clearly joking. I'm a New Yorker and nobody screws up the English language or sounds worse! I get a ribbbin' anywhere I go.  Enuf a dat.

Chain lubing on my Hayabusa is a pain in the ass- no room, no centre(sorry) stand, no nuttin'. I used to use these commercial chain lubes, and the bike always looked like shit.

A few years back I cleaned the mess up with kerosene and started using Maxima chain wax. Vast improvement. I only lube the chain once or twice a season, occasionally. Bike always looks mint, no dirt or black gook. The chain and sprockets are original, with 14,000 miles. I don't think these "new" o or x-ring chains require too much lubing. Just a light coating of "wax" to prevent rust and give a little protection for the o- rings.
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 01:46:59 pm
Over 20 years ago the Chain Gang, the BMW F650GS single (Funduro) forum, was singing the praises of using automatic transmission oil in automatic oilers. It was said that keeping your chain lubed with that cheap stuff (they used the original formula, not the new designer lubes) could make it and your sprockets last for over 100K miles.  However, it did fling off the chain and on to the rear wheel, so it would make a mess.

I never tried it, using Chain Wax at the time, which I don't use anymore because it really cakes on the chain and turns into a glob of difficult to remove wax. But it is true that it doesn't fling off and keeps the rear wheel clean. I just don't know how well it lubricates a chain.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 01:55:53 pm

Hello Beagle, Jimco was clearly joking. I'm a New Yorker and nobody screws up the English language or sounds worse! I get a ribbbin' anywhere I go.  Enuf a dat.

Chain lubing on my Hayabusa is a pain in the ass- no room, no centre(sorry) stand, no nuttin'. I used to use these commercial chain lubes, and the bike always looked like shit.

A few years back I cleaned the mess up with kerosene and started using Maxima chain wax. Vast improvement. I only lube the chain once or twice a season, occasionally. Bike always looks mint, no dirt or black gook. The chain and sprockets are original, with 14,000 miles. I don't think these "new" o or x-ring chains require too much lubing. Just a light coating of "wax" to prevent rust and give a little protection for the o- rings.

it's interesting for sure, how much life vs care different people get from their chains. Guys on a local forum claim 50,000km from an x ring chain with zero maintainence. Others swear by chain wax. Yet others won't go near it. I don't think it's great, personally. It seems to turn into big globs. Maybe I pile too much on. But your experience with the 'Busa says different.

A mate of mine has a great solution. He buys machinery chain in bulk, puts a chain on his dirt bike, rides for the day then throws it out. Pure genius.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 02:08:20 pm
Spelt is a species of wheat cultivated since approximately 5000 BC 😉
Just saying!😂😂😂

That was my first thought. And that 7,000+ year old predecessor of our wheat can still be found on the shelves at your local Whole Foods. They don't really rotate the stock on their shelves often enough, I guess. Try it in a nice Irish Soda Bread with raisins and nuts and a few oatmeal flakes, fellow shut-ins. Simple and delicious! If you've never made bread before, it's an easy, quick and forgiving one to start with. Plenty of recipes on line. Feast like a Roman!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:33:50 pm by Bilgemaster »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 02:18:28 pm

Nah. That kind of humour would get your head punched in where Beagle and I come from.

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 04:28:51 pm
I have an X-Ring chain on the Triumph Thunderbird with ~17,000 miles of use with on again off again indifferent maintenance and cleaning. It does get lubed about every 1000 miles using DuPont Chain Saver Teflon lubricant which does not attract dirt and grime.

I have no idea if it’s the X-Ring chain or the lube or both but the chain still has 5,000 miles left in it at the least. :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 04:56:54 pm
I don't get all wrapped up about the chain life drama.
I just lube it when I remember to do it, and put on a new chain when it wears out.

Tires, oil, chains, filters,...etc.
Just part of riding.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 05:05:11 pm
I kinda agree, but it's a Sunday in the lockdown and it killed 30 minutes for me.

Not least with that lovely spat about how spelt is spelt or not spelt!

Now I'm tired of it I might look at some tyre stuff. 😝

Husqy

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 06:17:12 pm
Well , It seems like chain lubrication is a bit like asking what oil ,or what tyer's /tires  to use lol
 think i'll just lube it when I remember , and buy a new one when it's knackerd !!! ;D ;D
 But it has moved the day on  a bit  ,so it's helped with the 'self isolating '  hope we can all get out soon ,then we might need to 'oil the chain' lol 8) ::)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 07:08:21 pm
Personally, I don't need an automatic garage floor oiler.
2019 Interceptor. 

Tinker55

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: April 26, 2020, 08:13:19 pm
Personally, I don't need an automatic garage floor oiler.

I do; my mother in law is coming to stay with us and I've offered some space in the garage for her bicycle; gnagnagna...

(and before anyone gets upset: I'm joking....... she doesn't ride a bicycle  ;D ;D ;D)
2020 Int 650

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #31 on: April 26, 2020, 09:36:40 pm
Enough about chain oil! Can't we get back to what's really important? What's the best oil to use in your engine?  ::)

THAT WAS A JOKE!!!

I don't care if you use Wesson or Amsoil special pyramid plan!

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard an actual chain oiler user say it's not messy.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2020, 01:42:07 am
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard an actual chain oiler user say it's not messy.
I read up a bit on the Loobman which can be purchased for less than 23 english pounds and it is semi-automatic.  One holds the button down to release oil to the system, which then is distributed by capillary action via a couple of flexy nylon fingers to the sides of the sprocket.  Presumably, after some experimentation, one could gauge the amount of oil needed for their particular requirements.  It's also apparently a thing to increase the size of the "feedpipe", which is the plastic tube running between the reservoir and the oiler head, by putting a series of "S" turns in the tubing.

If anyone is interested in more detail, here's a link to the maker's site.   http://www.loobman.co.uk/faqs.asp
I find that I'm always more inclined to trust sellers that represent themselves with a web site that is NOT slick and polished.  Makes me think that the product must have some merit, cause it's definitely NOT the sexy website selling them.

I'm not fond of the fact that the Loobman delivers oil to the rollers and the insides of the inner chain plates.  I like to get my chain oil on the edges of the interface between inner and outer chainplates.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #33 on: April 27, 2020, 09:38:18 pm
Tune for every time you go into your garage with a chain oiler on your bike.
https://youtu.be/5anMTZjVsL8
2019 Interceptor. 

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: April 27, 2020, 10:03:59 pm
I always thought oilers were for Iron Butt riders and Britons who ride underwater.My 71 CB750 had one that applied engine oil to the unsealed chains of the period. I used it in the rainy season to prevent rust.
Lurker on a Vespa

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #35 on: April 27, 2020, 10:18:50 pm
Thanks to Jay Leno's damn Garage videos, my next bike is currently being built. Like a belt drive? Prefer a shaft? How about a chain? This bike has a belt, shaft and three chains :o . There may be a chain oiler or thee in my future ;)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #36 on: April 28, 2020, 12:51:10 am
The only oil on my garage floor is coming from the bike that shouldn't be leaking : the CRF450.

Had a lazy day at home with the offspring yesterday so we put chain oiler on my CGT as well.  She's quite the zip tie technician now.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2020, 12:53:17 am
I do; my mother in law is coming to stay with us and I've offered some space in the garage for her bicycle; gnagnagna...

(and before anyone gets upset: I'm joking....... she doesn't ride a bicycle  ;D ;D ;D)

My mother in law doesn't visit any more. She's a greyhound/whippet person and won't leave her dogs home. We have a Staffordshire X ridgeback that hates dogs. Easy.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #38 on: May 02, 2020, 11:40:54 pm
My mother in law doesn't visit any more. She's a greyhound/whippet person and won't leave her dogs home. We have a Staffordshire X ridgeback that hates dogs. Easy.

My three beagles...They will pack hunt any visitors dogs into a corner and keep them there...They don't do it for fun...they do it for treats. Mother is not impressed, but we no longer get unwanted visitors....Ridgebacks are nice dogs too. Ours tried corralling a big greyhound at the dog park once, but couldn't catch it..she thought they we're playing.....even the greyhound owner was laughing with us at that one..lol...

Malcoooom

• Neophyte
Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 03:59:30 pm
Well, here's a Scottoiler on an interceptor.  You pay your money and see what you think.  I like it, I have never thought adding solvent and cleaning a chain was a good idea with those O rings trying to keep a seal to keep that long term oil around the rollers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZL9Mj91Gds&t=3s

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 04:39:18 am
I fitted a gidibi manual oiler that seems to work. Has to be better than my remembering to clean and lube....

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 09:54:37 am

Hi Gizzo, could you put up some photo's please as I'm thinking of putting one on my Interceptor but am not sure where to put it?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 10:59:14 am
I fitted a gidibi manual oiler that seems to work. Has to be better than my remembering to clean and lube....

that's the one where you give the top a bit of a turn to dose the chain, beags?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 11:02:54 am
Hi Gizzo, could you put up some photo's please as I'm thinking of putting one on my Interceptor but am not sure where to put it?

Sure thing. I'll do it when I get home from work in the morning. Bear in mind mine's a CGT 535 single so will be a bit different to your INT. The oil container is stuck to the front of the airbox using the supplied plastic bracket and double sided sticky thing. Time will tell how long the stickiness lasts...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 02:02:28 am
that's the one where you give the top a bit of a turn to dose the chain, beags?

Yep...exact same product as the expensive one.(nemo)...only difference is the retail packaging. Cost around AU 50 bucks landed.  I mounted it down low as it was a pain on the bars. Nowhere to mount on existing stuff and would have required another bracket/clamp .

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 03:05:39 am
Here you go. One of the container mounted, another of the drip feed thing.
Hope these make sense.

Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 02:36:55 pm
Yep...exact same product as the expensive one.(nemo)...only difference is the retail packaging. Cost around AU 50 bucks landed.  I mounted it down low as it was a pain on the bars. Nowhere to mount on existing stuff and would have required another bracket/clamp .
That looks neat. Much of a fuss to fit?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 05:21:48 pm
Not really. Bending the wire bracket that the drip feed head hangs from is the most time consuming part. You have to get the bends just right. Other than that, it's easy.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:46 pm
Not really. Bending the wire bracket that the drip feed head hangs from is the most time consuming part. You have to get the bends just right. Other than that, it's easy.
Cool, thanks.

I've just ordered one, as it looks the cleanest option,  as well as the cheapest.
Soon it'll be on a slow boat from China. Should arrive before lockdown end.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 11:24:31 pm
Cool, thanks.

I've just ordered one, as it looks the cleanest option,  as well as the cheapest.
Soon it'll be on a slow boat from China. Should arrive before lockdown end.

Good luck! If it's the same as the one on my bikes it'll be coming from the UK. The guy who makes them takes ages to get them out but they arrive eventually.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #50 on: May 10, 2020, 11:26:13 pm

Nice one. That looks clean.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 11:36:26 am
Here you go. One of the container mounted, another of the drip feed thing.
Hope these make sense.

Thanks, yeah it'll have to go somewhere else but I'm happy you didn't have issues with a fairly low oil run as that's what I'm thinking.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: October 01, 2022, 10:00:11 am
Zombie thread I know but...

I'm trying to transfer my Loobman from my Himalayan to my new Classic 500.
Has anyone managed to fit one to a C5? Where did you put it?
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

JesusA

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: October 01, 2022, 02:28:50 pm
Hello, in my opinion one good device for chain oiler is the Scottoiler X-System. Is not easy to fix to the motorbike, the most complicate issue is to fix the bottle dosificator to the frame, but if you get it is very efficient. I attach some pictures.
Jesus

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: October 01, 2022, 02:31:50 pm
I don’t know so I’m just asking, do any motorcycles come from the factory with chain oilers?
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

JesusA

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: October 01, 2022, 02:34:27 pm
As far as I know, no. And is something that I do not understand because chain will need take care for sure.
Jesus

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: October 01, 2022, 03:05:03 pm
Hello, in my opinion one good device for chain oiler is the Scottoiler X-System. Is not easy to fix to the motorbike, the most complicate issue is to fix the bottle dosificator to the frame, but if you get it is very efficient. I attach some pictures.
Thanks for the photos however, the Interceptor has an obvious place to mount it, my Classic 500 does not (sorry, when I posted I didn't realised which forum I was in - blame gizzo)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #57 on: October 01, 2022, 03:30:25 pm
I don’t know so I’m just asking, do any motorcycles come from the factory with chain oilers?
Various Honda motorcycles came with them. I use the past tense because I'm pretty sure Honda has abandoned them.
They were very simple and super handy for long-haul rides and commuters. Sadly they exceeded OIQ.

Edit: I should explain, that is a photo of the valve. It sits in the end of the counter shaft, surrounded by the front sprocket (and chain). There is a center screw, like a needle jet, with a lock nut and fabric washer. Tighten in for less /off and creep it out for more oil. And yes, it is the engine oil that sprays the chain.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:43:16 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Locknut

• Bulleteer
  • 20 yr A&P FAA Turbine, Heli, Radial mech, 39 bikes
Reply #58 on: October 01, 2022, 03:40:51 pm
As far as I know, no. And is something that I do not understand because chain will need take care for sure.

Given the potential for somebody going berserk with either over-oiling adjustments, incorrect oil viscosity causing a monsoon onto the tire, or XXX, XXX . . . I doubt we'll ever (again)
see OEM auto'chain  lubing.  Slick-tire deep pocket lawsuits are impressive. . . some companies that provide sidewall auto shine products  have their own concerns of guys 'preserving' the tread too.  It's happened. We consumers can sometimes be amazingly stupid in our distractions.

I mean,  I won't confess to installing a big-bore 836cc kit in the early seventies,  (Honda 750 Four K1) and forgetting to install all the wrist-pin retainers on the pistons.  My soon-to-be girlfriend was hanging around my parents garage in a VERY nice T-shirt as I swapped the hardware.    :-\  Seeing a baggie of retainers on the worktable, engine all buttoned up with long-ordered parts pre-internet.  . . . . :( >:(   

Yeah . . that 750 had an "oiler" on the CSS shaft.  It was relatively ineffective for getting oil to the chain.  EVERYTHING else was nicely oiled.
Ohhh,btw . ..  Back then was pre-O ring chains ,  and we needed a LOT of oil to prevent ridiculous fast chain wear.  Today's modern biker has it easy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:54:13 pm by Locknut »
You never seem to have the time to do it right,  but you'll ALWAYS have time to do it over.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #59 on: October 01, 2022, 04:59:44 pm
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a chain oiler  ???
all my bikes for the last 40 years have been shaft drive  Bm, and Honda 's ------Frank-----
I have had oilers (scotoiler)on previous bikes.I will say that if you are into high mileages and touring it's worth it otherwise save money with a jar of gear oil and brush and lube when required.
Just looked at the date on the original post.This is an old post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:32:18 pm by James. »
Freedom.

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #60 on: October 01, 2022, 05:04:47 pm

BMW used to sell Scottoilers re-badged as BMW units (as an option). DK if this is still the case. I have a Scottoiler on my GS, and it works as advertised — when properly adjusted, the chain stays lightly oiled and remains clean, as the Scott lubricant (basically automatic transmission fluid) has such a low tack that it essentially repels dirt.

When I had the oiler installed, the chain was covered in black paste from my previous use of Maxima chain wax. I didn’t clean the chain, just rode the bike with the new oiler. In a couple of hundred miles the chain was clean.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:08:18 pm by ReddingRider »
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: October 01, 2022, 06:04:19 pm

That looks good.

Simms

• In the past
  • Scooter
  • It's not the destination, It's the journey
Reply #62 on: October 01, 2022, 08:11:29 pm

Cable tied to the cable loom, under the LH side panel (hidden) ... It works for me, just a bit of a pain to check the oil level  :(
1977 Honda CB 200 "in go faster Green"
1981 Honda CB 550 FourK
1987 Kawasaki Z550 B
1989 Honda CB 550 Fourk
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Mk 2

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #63 on: October 02, 2022, 08:59:57 am
Various Honda motorcycles came with them. I use the past tense because I'm pretty sure Honda has abandoned them.
They were very simple and super handy for long-haul rides and commuters. Sadly they exceeded OIQ.

Edit: I should explain, that is a photo of the valve. It sits in the end of the counter shaft, surrounded by the front sprocket (and chain). There is a center screw, like a needle jet, with a lock nut and fabric washer. Tighten in for less /off and creep it out for more oil. And yes, it is the engine oil that sprays the chain.

I had no idea that was a thing. Genius.

Same as they don't typically come with quad locks, or USB charging ports or pannier brackets or crash bars or throttle locks.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

bodega bob

• Scooter
Reply #64 on: October 02, 2022, 03:03:01 pm
The T150V Triumph Trident in 1972 had a chain oiler built into the oil tank. Just inside the oil filler was a screw to adjust the flow to a hose that went to a drip nozzle on the swingarm. There was a tendency to oil too much of the rotating assembly, so many riders chose to shut it off entirely.

Alan F.

• Grease Monkey
  • We remember the Night Rider, & we know who You are
Reply #65 on: October 03, 2022, 05:42:29 am
Yes it's an old thread, but the best topics never go away. How about a fully enclosed chain guard?

Tonight I ordered some brake fluid reserviors, inline petcocks and some 3mm 'Y' fittings from ebay, they were really cheap and should be here by the end of December, don't ask where they're coming from. Hopefully they'll be worth the $10 I spent and with some clear tubing, zip ties and some tiny diameter brass tubing JB-welded to the 'Y' fittings, I'll be able to put a pair of cheap systems together, one for my 650 and another for a Honda project bike.

I figure a small reservoir set to oil very lightly will be much better chain maintenance than my regular neglectful habits.
North of Boston, MA - 2020 Orange Crush INT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: October 03, 2022, 06:04:25 am
Yes it's an old thread, but the best topics never go away. How about a fully enclosed chain guard?

I had one of them on my Yamaha TR1 (v-twin, 1000cc, touring model, not the chopper). Big plastic sheath enclosing the chain and sprockets. Apparently the chain ran in grease. This was before 0-ring chains. Worked perfectly.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #67 on: October 03, 2022, 08:39:06 am
I had one of them on my Yamaha TR1 (v-twin, 1000cc, touring model, not the chopper). Big plastic sheath enclosing the chain and sprockets. Apparently the chain ran in grease. This was before 0-ring chains. Worked perfectly.
Yes, that was a copy of the MZ / CZ chain enclosure.

Frank