Author Topic: Ignition switch  (Read 637 times)

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
on: April 18, 2021, 08:05:21 pm
Just when you think everything is ok, something else bites you in the a?%.
Just occasionally, the engine miss fires a bit, on starting, sometimes the ammeter seems not to deflect properly. On checking the ignition switch, it doesn't seem to 'click' as crisply as it did. A little wriggle of the key and all seems well, this will never do.
 So, I squirted a bit of GT85 (this it silicone based) into the keyhole to start with, then I put a long screwdriver between my ear and the switch, operated the switch a few times, and sure enough, the click of the switch was intermittent and not as crisp as it should be.
I clearly remembered what happened to my Magura handlebar switch when I stupidly undid it to investigate a faulty horn button! How to fix it without opening it? I have nothing to lose, I'll have to replace it anyway if I'm not successful.
I know on some switches of this design have the barrel part isolated from the electrical part, I don't know if this is the case with these, so squirting GT85 just in the keyhole will not reach the actual switch. So, I drilled a small (1.5mm) hole in the side of the switch body and gave it a short blast of GT85 through the hole with the little straw attachment, screwdriver in ear again- It seems to work, it sounds much crisper, louder than before, in fact, it did not fail to instantly click again.
Well, the sun is out, so it would be rude not to give it a good test ride.
 Success, I seem to have fixed it !!
It's metal, it doesn't understand!

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968
Saab 9-3 Convertible, 2008
not forgetting SWMBO's Z3 2002

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 08:35:41 pm
Better living thru Chemistry!!  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:26:24 pm
Loud ignition switches save er... something or other!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...