Author Topic: good Himalayan BS4 reviews by Noraly ("Itchy Boots")  (Read 41819 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 02:01:53 pm
I have been following Noraly's adventures as I assume many of us are.  One thing that I find odd though, is that while every episode typically receives thousands of "thumbs-up" there are always around 30 or 40 that give her a "thumbs-down".  What do you think is going on with those?

The dislike numbers seem very consistent and personally, I just don't see anything in her videos that is worth disliking.  And even if I didn't like her music, commentary, or selection of little dirt roads, I don't know why I would go out of my way to give her a "thumbs-down".  Any ideas what is going on here?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 06:25:49 pm
I have been following Noraly's adventures as I assume many of us are.  One thing that I find odd though, is that while every episode typically receives thousands of "thumbs-up" there are always around 30 or 40 that give her a "thumbs-down".  What do you think is going on with those?

The dislike numbers seem very consistent and personally, I just don't see anything in her videos that is worth disliking.  And even if I didn't like her music, commentary, or selection of little dirt roads, I don't know why I would go out of my way to give her a "thumbs-down".  Any ideas what is going on here?

The first thing that pops into my mind is that it's a simple case of motorcycle snobbery. There are people out there who just do not like Royal Enfields and will not be convinced otherwise. They are usually very misinformed, uninformed, ill-informed, etc., and they usually have no sense of respect for history (if they know any at all) or heritage (automotive OR motorcycle) or any rational reason. They're the same people who hate h-d motorcycles. I don't mean dislike for some rational, explainable reason. I mean those who hate harleys simply because they're harleys. 

Now I've gotta go see if Episode 104 is up yet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:30:30 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 07:23:56 pm
Hell Tooseevee, if you're still getting a leg over at 81 (insert sound of twittering Brits here), then you're more man than most. You got twenty years on me, and I'm not as spry as I once was. Add to that the level of difficulty of having to fire up a tweaked AVL with no decomp or electric leg on a cool Rhode Island morn, and my hat's off to you, man. Were I in your situation, before hanging up my spurs, I might be looking for means to maybe ameliorate the impact of those "olds". Just spitballing here, but have you got a nice jacuzzi or hot tub? Before I set out for "yonder" on my own Iron Belly, I sort of warm and limber it up around the block nice and easy. Why not treat your own body's lymphatic "lube system" and joints to the same warm up before a jaunt? Besides, a jacuzzi and a good book are among the sublime joys of life, if a taxi full of drunken Swedish stewardesses isn't handy. Treat yourself!

With your Enfield, that first cold start must be the biggest hurdle. So, if you'd really prefer to stick with your lovely AVL instead of some latter-day bike or even scooter with an electric start, how about getting one of those electric roller start doodads like I've seen in Jay Leno's Garage and other YouTube videos? There's no shortage of DIY versions shown out there, including one using what looks like a Harbor Freight angle grinder as its motive force, but here is a rather nice looking one from England shown actually starting a nice old Bullet. I reckon with a bit of rummaging through the Interwebs, a nice enough turnkey one might present itself for $500 or so, where you could just back the beast on, hit the footpedal, fire up, and off you'd go.

Remember: We're Riders of the Archaic. So go ahead and be archaic. You'll show those whippersnappers!

I only just saw your post an hour ago and chose to answer Richard230's first and then take the dog out for her 1 o'clock dump which was already late.

Anyway. I don't know where you picked up the idea that I am kick only. Not so, Grasshoppah.

It is true that I have only used the electric starter very rarely since day one mostly because I've just always been a kickstarter, but also to save that sprag which, only because of this forum, I knew was a time bomb ready to blow.

But I do have a kicker; always have. Because it has come to hurt so bad if more than three kicks, I started using the electric for the first start of the day. From then on, I always get one or two kick kick starts, no problem.

The cold kick starts immediately got better with the switch to the Champion plug, but I just can't take the chance any more. If I was to have to go past 3 kicks cold and it didn't start, I would be wreaked to the point that I just would not, could not, go. And this is not just leg, it's every single joint, tendon, ligament, bone, you-name-it. It's mind-bending panic-pain.

No. I'm not the Jacuzzi or electric rear tire rotator type.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 02:47:29 am
Plus with the thumbs down attitude scattered about on anything on the tube I think its mainly from ' LOW ACHIEVERS AND THE JEALOUS TYPES' who have never really done or couldn't do anything special in their lives and wear their low life attitude - LOW and try to rub it out on others.
Meanwhile Itchyboots latest video -bike down-has scored 100K views in just one day!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 12:18:38 am
In any sampling of thousands, I'm sure there must always be a requisite tiny number of Sandy Vagina Syndrome sufferers--miserable misanthropes who would 'thumbs down' anything: a puppy playing the bagpipes presenting a cure for cancer...I mean  anything. I'm also pretty sure that a good number of those dislikes are unintentional. If you're watching on a smaller device like a phone, then it's awfully easy to tap that 'thumbs down' instead of the 'thumbs up', or just click that icon by mistake. I've done the former myself at least once while scrolling (but caught and corrected it). No, I expect the REAL  measure of basement-dwelling douchebaggery is to be found in those Comments sections.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:04:20 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 02:28:26 am
Gotta love Noraly's attitude. :)

She dumps her bike and laughs about it. 

I'm sure she knew she could get help from the guy down the road but when I've dropped a bike, laughing was the last thing on my mind at the time.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 08:15:44 am
I ordered my 'Itchy Boots' stickers yesterday, just wish I could afford a Himalyan to stick them on to.

Frank

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 10:09:02 am
I wish whoever designed Noralee's bike sticker had used her Basanti as a model, instead of a generic cafe racer.  Just picky, I guess...

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 12:01:29 pm
I wish whoever designed Noralee's bike sticker had used her Basanti as a model, instead of a generic cafe racer.  Just picky, I guess...
Agreed! that is why I didn't buy any of those.
Why do people on here not use her proper name though - Noraly.

Frank

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 02:58:54 pm

Frank
Probably because this is an American site and the way Noraly spells her name is not normal here.

I think the most common way to spell it here in the US. is Noralee.

Google shows 18 different ways to spell it. :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 05:25:55 pm

Frank

:-[

I can't speak for "people," but personally, I guess it's because I'm both ignorant and lazy!  Good thing she's got you to stick up for her, though, Frank - I won't make that mistake again, I promise!

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 07:49:13 pm
Probably because this is an American site and the way Noraly spells her name is not normal here.

I think the most common way to spell it here in the US. is Noralee.

Google shows 18 different ways to spell it. :o
But her name is not Noralee, its Noraly. Its a bit insulting to imply that the lass doesn't know how to spell her own name.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 01:31:00 am
But her name is not Noralee, its Noraly. Its a bit insulting to imply that the lass doesn't know how to spell her own name.

I don't care how she spells her name or pays her taxes. I just want a long mp3 of her saying "kilometers" over and over and over that way she does with something rousing and adventuresome on a harpsichord in the background.

I'll be in my bunk.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 02:15:51 am
You "Dirty Old Man".  ;D

From what I've seen of Noraly she would be the first to laugh about someone misspelling her name and I know she wouldn't consider it to be an insult.

She's a full of life, full of adventure sort of girl who would totally understand why someone in the US could miss-spell her name and she would not think another thought about it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 10:54:30 am
How dare you, Arizoni! 

I'm guessing that in Holland, my fist name would be spelled with only one "t."  If Noraly casually spelled it that way in a written discussion amongst a bunch of dirty-old-women in which my virtues, looks, riding, and indeed my pronunciation of the word "micrometer" were so positively extolled... no, I would not be insulted.

My wife spells her name, Anne, with an "e" on the end.  If I had a nickel for every time someone spelled it without the "e", I'd be the one buying all of Wildbill's secondhand bikes!