Author Topic: Ace assisting Bullet Whisperer racing effort  (Read 127446 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #315 on: April 18, 2015, 10:53:46 pm
I am going to respectfully ask for everyone to return to the technical topic of the thread, and avoid the diversion into any emotional directions.

Thank you.
Tom
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #316 on: April 19, 2015, 12:03:44 am
I am going to respectfully ask for everyone to return to the technical topic of the thread, and avoid the diversion into any emotional directions.

Thank you.
Tom
Well said, Ace, although emotions can run high where racing is concerned, for me at any rate !
 B.W.

Veeman

• Scooter
Reply #317 on: April 19, 2015, 12:19:02 am
ACE and BW
  you certainly have supporters who will go to great lengths to protect you from what they perceive to be unjust negative criticism. My intention had been to submit in the future, informative posts for your consideration, but in view of certain forum members attitude, this will not now occur.
Good luck with your joint effort
Veeman

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #318 on: April 19, 2015, 05:00:19 am
I'm always puzzled by individuals who say such things as:

BW
     Great! If my posts have had the effect of giving you a kick up the backside, that's what was intended....
, and then bow out when a few others return the action.

If one is giving anyone a "kick up the backside" they should expect to have a few others give them a few rump kicks in return.

If Veeman indeed possesses informative knowledge which he intended to share with us, allow me to suggest that he should contribute his knowledge by posting it so we may all learn.

Learning is what we are all here for. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #319 on: April 19, 2015, 06:58:27 am
ACE and BW
  you certainly have supporters who will go to great lengths to protect you from what they perceive to be unjust negative criticism. My intention had been to submit in the future, informative posts for your consideration, but in view of certain forum members attitude, this will not now occur.
Good luck with your joint effort
Veeman

Thank you for your well wishes.

We shall carry on with our program.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #320 on: April 19, 2015, 11:13:32 am
Back on track, then ...
 We are working on getting a film taken from Ian's on board camera uploaded and then a link put in here. It shows an entire race on the 500 at Mallory, including the sighting lap and the ride back to the paddock. It also shows where he was losing speed and time in the corners, due to poor initial throttle response and the throttle sticking shut momentarily when he was opening it again, causing him to give ground to other machines..
 The next work will be to deal with these issues and help him stay nearer the front of the pack, if we go to the dyno again, I will focus more on the smaller throttle openings and smoothing out the response to the twistgrip, until now the focus has been on 4000 rpm and above and for maximum power at the top end of the rev band.
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #321 on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:54 pm
I really enjoy the videos!

Also, I would be interested in seeing/hearing the hesitation behavior at lower rpms.

Aside from getting that cured, I wonder if the bike could just be in a lower gear, and thus in a better part of the powerband coming out of the corner? There's plenty of rpm room above 4000 rpm.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #322 on: April 19, 2015, 02:23:10 pm
I really enjoy the videos!

Also, I would be interested in seeing/hearing the hesitation behavior at lower rpms.

Aside from getting that cured, I wonder if the bike could just be in a lower gear, and thus in a better part of the powerband coming out of the corner? There's plenty of rpm room above 4000 rpm.

I was thinking about our discussion the other day Tom and was just thinking the same thing.  If it's just a carb tuning issue, no biggie, easily fixed.  But if that "rough" spot down low on the RPMs is something beyond carb, like too much cam, perhaps a gear can be dropped before entering the turn while braking to overcome the problem RPM range.  My only concern with doing that is coming into the lower gear at higher RPMs the rear wheel may hop while engaging the clutch, which would be bad for the turn entry.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #323 on: April 19, 2015, 02:34:06 pm
Yes, of course, Ian will have the answer for our questions.
I'm just thinking aloud.
 :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #324 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:34 pm
Me too.  It's this damn trouble-shooting mindset I have.   ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #325 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:42 pm
Here are the links to three videos making up one race featuring the 500 F.A.B., including the sighting lap, slowing down after the flag and going back to the paddock. A cameo appearance is made by yours truly at the end of part 3!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXvIywoKcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZj6TKw8SdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0A4OvYRAOQ
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #326 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:33 pm
Wow! I loved seeing those! I felt like I was riding the bike.
It really does have the legs at the top. No problems getting well over 7000 rpm, and what appeared to be around 8000, but I couldn't see the tach dial at 8000.
Goes really well up there!
It sounds awesome, and goes like a rocket!
I love it!

I could see/hear that issue you mentioned. It almost seems like a throttle bog and then a surge. I do think it sounds mixture related.

But oh boy, was that some fun video to watch!
Thanks!
 ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:50:43 pm by ace.cafe »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #327 on: April 20, 2015, 01:54:00 am
These were great BW!  Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more of the same.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #328 on: April 20, 2015, 02:56:33 am
Thanks for the videos, BW.  I was dragging my knees on some of those corners, seating here in my chair at the computer.  Good stuff!  :)

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill     

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #329 on: April 20, 2015, 03:17:33 am
WOW i want one  :)
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R