Author Topic: difference between a C5 anda G5?  (Read 6836 times)

gill974

• Scooter
on: February 07, 2012, 07:07:59 am
Hi!
Can anybody tell me what are the differences(big and small) between a C5engine and a G5 ?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:32:10 am
Engines?  Absolutely nothing unless you get a 2009 or 2010 C5.  They have no kickstart.

Scott

gill974

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:38:01 pm
I don't agree If you have a look at the right side engine covers ,they are quite different on a C5 and a G5 and if they are different it's probably because something is differnt under the cover(the flywheel.....?)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:59 pm
Well mate, if you distrust Scott's posting there is probably no reason to trust anyone's elses posting aswell.  The only thing I may recommend in this case is to grab some tools and look for yourself. Best regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:27:25 pm
I don't agree If you have a look at the right side engine covers ,they are quite different on a C5 and a G5 and if they are different it's probably because something is differnt under the cover(the flywheel.....?)

Cosmetic difference.  The oil filter cover has 3 bolts on the C5, 2 on the G5.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:22:17 pm
Sorry, you are correct.  The side covers on the two engines are different between the bikes, and each has a different oil filter cover as already noted.  They also have a different number of teeth on the front sprocket since the bikes have different size wheels.

I thought you were asking about internal/mechanical differences, not cosmetic.

Scott

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:31:18 pm
Hi!
Can anybody tell me what are the differences(big and small) between a C5engine and a G5 ?
    Try reading the individual specifications on each bike on the  Royal Enfield website.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

gill974

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:26:41 am
So ,it's only "cosmetic"?
OK,thanks for your answer,Scott!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:36:05 pm
So ,it's only "cosmetic"?
OK,thanks for your answer,Scott!

Aside from a different front sprocket it would seem that way.

The B5/G5/C5 are basically the same engine bolted into one of three frames,  an iron frame for the B5, AVL/Electra frame for the G5 and a totally new frame just for the C5.

Note that the design of the UCE engines HAS undergone gradual change over time as the Chennai way is to just introduce/change parts as the need arises without any specific intro date or engine version change.

The older UCE's have a multi part oil filter holder for example. More recently the bolt holding the primary drive on all UCEs has been changed to a left hand thread. There is no specific model/serial number for these serial production changes, the only way to know if a particular bike has them is get a spanner and go have  a look.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:21 pm
Glenn, since I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong thread direction on my 2010 would it be prudent to just crack it open at some time and put in some super-duper threadlock?

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:32:41 pm
Glenn, since I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong thread direction on my 2010 would it be prudent to just crack it open at some time and put in some super-duper threadlock?

The countershaft sprocket nut has a tab washer on it and if it's as tight as mine was, it ain't goin' nowhere!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:56 pm
Ah!  Then I'll leave it alone.  I've gone about 9k miles so far so I figured it was probably fine.  Nice to know there's a tabbed washer in there too.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:55:49 am

Scott

That would probably be a bit of an over-reaction.

More to the point, if your ever working on the primary chain and undo that bolt for some reason or other, put it back with "super-duper threadlock" and make sure its good and tight.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:15:48 pm
Sometimes a left hand threaded bolt or nut will be stamped "L". 

Seems like I have read (on this forum) there are some left hand threads on the fork assembly?.

Are left hand threads not marked on a RE motorcycle?

???
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:18:45 pm
The top caps on the C5 fork are left hand thread.  I didn't see any markings to indicate this.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 10:00:05 pm
I believe the change in the direction of the threads on the output end of the crankshaft was due to the bolt that became unscrewed and jammed between the rotating clutch housing and the left engine housing.

This did not happen to a new "from the factory" engine.

This occurred in India following a electric starter clutch replacement and there is a good possibility that the true cause of the bolt unscrewing is that the mechanic forgot to properly tighten and torque the bolt.

Bearing in mind that there are thousands of the new UCE powered bikes in the world and I have not heard of another similar accident I think it would be foolish to remove the existing bolt to apply some thread locking compound in the interests of just being safe.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 11:16:52 pm
Bearing in mind that there are thousands of the new UCE powered bikes in the world and I have not heard of another similar accident I think it would be foolish to remove the existing bolt to apply some thread locking compound in the interests of just being safe.

I've heard of two, one here and one elsewhere, but yes, not a systemic problem or we'd hear about it more.

Thanks,
Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14:22 am
I believe the one posted here is the same one posted on Team BHP but I might be mistaken.

Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 04:02:08 pm
So then maybe it's just one.  Sounding more like mechanic error every day.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:39:47 pm
As I say, I may be mistaken about the number of these events.

It is pretty hard to believe that Royal Enfield would go to all of the trouble to create a new crankshaft with a left hand thread being the only change.

If they work like my old company did that would involve at least five drawings and drawing numbers.

The new LH bolt design.

The new drawing for the output end of the crankshaft with the LH threads.

The assembly drawing of the crankshaft/connecting rod/bearings to call out the new part number of the crankshaft end.

The engine assembly parts list to call out the new crankshaft and the new bolt numbers.

The revised Motorcycle assembly to call out the new engine part number if one is created to define this revision.

They would probably maintain traceability of this change by recording the first motorcycle to incorporate the revised engine changes by serial number.

This kind of traceability is a PITA for us owners.  We order a part and receive it only to find that it is the wrong one.
That's when the parts man says, "Oh!  You didn't tell me your motorcycles serial number was newer than XXXXXXXXXX5!"
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe