Author Topic: Classic 500 first 500 Km  (Read 2083 times)

ronald moens

• Scooter
on: February 20, 2020, 04:22:51 pm
Classic 500 first 500km, what to  do and what not?
Ronald

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:47:40 pm
Don't fall off, don't crash into anything  and don't run out of fuel.
Do have fun, dont rev its nuts off, dont work the engine too hard and in a couple of thousand miles you'll have a lovely bike.
Off route, recalculate?

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:26:55 pm
I just stuck with the general traffic flow and gentle acceleration, short shifting, never lugging at low revs. Stopping around half an hour in, to let it cool and go again. That way it wasnt a chore, looked forward to each ride and got to bond with the bike.

Changed the oil twice in 650 miles, because the first change had tiny grains on the magnetic sump plug. 2nd change was pretty clear. At no time have I been concerned by the level of vibration, just feels like a healthy single. Only at 1350miles now, so cant vouch for long term, but it pulls nicely, feels and sounds happy.

Starting to open the throttle more now. It doesn't seem to make much difference!  ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:37 pm
Kinda sad to think that this might be one of the last tales we'll read of a Bullet 500 being broken in, huh?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 10:21:38 pm
Until it's time for a new piston.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 11:07:01 pm
Kinda sad to think that this might be one of the last tales we'll read of a Bullet 500 being broken in, huh?
I have a brand new one (blue and cream) Euro 3, tucked away at the back of the garage.....don't know if it will ever get run in???
Off route, recalculate?

Snotball

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 05:26:25 am
I just stuck with the general traffic flow and gentle acceleration, short shifting, never lugging at low revs. Stopping around half an hour in, to let it cool and go again. That way it wasnt a chore, looked forward to each ride and got to bond with the bike.

Changed the oil twice in 650 miles, because the first change had tiny grains on the magnetic sump plug. 2nd change was pretty clear. At no time have I been concerned by the level of vibration, just feels like a healthy single. Only at 1350miles now, so cant vouch for long term, but it pulls nicely, feels and sounds happy.

Yes they pull strongly to about 65MPH and sit there all day but there isnt a great deal left after that without a tailwind or downhill.

Starting to open the throttle more now. It doesn't seem to make much difference!  ;D

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 03:47:42 pm
Take it easy for the first 1,000 miles and change the oil and filter a couple of times and use something like Mobile 1 V twin 20/50. Bike will run and shift better.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:50:49 pm
I have a brand new one (blue and cream) Euro 3, tucked away at the back of the garage.....don't know if it will ever get run in???

Given your past postings, which have all the hallmarks of someone who knows what they're doing, I wonder if you might not be doing posterity a favor by properly breaking it in yourself...say, at least 500 miles or so...instead of perhaps just passing it along to some clueless hipster of the future too prepared to thrash it with a too-heavy hand on that throttle. I expect that many youngsters may be blissfully unaware that there even is such a thing a "running in" a vehicle.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 02:09:30 am
You could have stopped with "many youngsters may be blissfully unaware", and you would have been correct almost all the time. Heck, I am still sometimes clueless and I am 62! Not stupid, just clueless...............but that is my brain telling me that.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 11:23:47 am
Given your past postings, which have all the hallmarks of someone who knows what they're doing, I wonder if you might not be doing posterity a favor by properly breaking it in yourself...say, at least 500 miles or so...instead of perhaps just passing it along to some clueless hipster of the future too prepared to thrash it with a too-heavy hand on that throttle. I expect that many youngsters may be blissfully unaware that there even is such a thing a "running in" a vehicle.

Cheers, I probably will put a few miles on it just to make sure it's all ok, sunny days only, once the 40 days and 40 nights of rain stops.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:38:20 pm by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

Snotball

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 05:21:43 am
my C5 turned over 3200km today. Seems to be getting stronger all the time.