Author Topic: 1958 Indian Woodsman 500 $1,100 (Renton, Wa. )  (Read 1148 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
on: April 13, 2021, 08:38:27 am
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-1958-indian-woodsman-500/7301693284.html
This is a 1958 Indian Woodsman scrambler with original engine according to the original factory logbook records now owned by the Royal Enfield Owners Club. Very rare, less than 1000 Woodsman scramblers were made during the 56-59 model run. According to the factory logbook records this Indian left the Redditch factory on Nov. 28th 1957 (1958 model) to the Brockhouse depot in West Bromwich, UK for subsequent export to the USA.

This one is a project because the engine is stuck and has been open with no spark plug or carb and the cylinder head just set on the cylinder all the time it was in storage. At the core this bike is a Royal Enfield so knowledgeable help and restoration parts and pieces are out there and available making for a straight forward restoration. I'm no expert so I can't tell you what is original or what is missing besides the seat and little things but here's some information about the bike to help you:

Transmission number is AGZ 1559, engine case has "B2 2" casting numbers at the rear of the engine, magneto ignition, 19" front and back wheels-front is Dunlop WM2 and the back is Dunlop WM3, aluminum top yoke, inside the tank is good with light (normal) surface rust, paint color under the gastank is green (original color unknown), frame is good no cut off hangers or mounting tabs. Came with an exhaust pipe but unknown if that is original. May have been raced early on I see a number plate bracket attached to the lower triple tree.

Bike has a clean and clear Vermont Registration Title in my name, leave your contact number and I'll get ahold of you.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:58:49 pm
This one was up for sale quite recently, same seller?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:10:29 pm
I believe it sold on ebay last month. Maybe the buyer backed out?  It happens, unfortunately.

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:17 pm
It was on craigslist around Seattle area for quite a while at $2200. Pretty steep considering it doesn't have a lot of what made it a Woodsman, seems like. Shame that top yoke is all cut up. I don't know the worth of a titled frame with matching numbers cases, which seems like is about all that's really on offer here.