Author Topic: Buying a Meteor from the dealer: And...here...we...go. Service completed?  (Read 1311 times)

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
So, no one has the Stellar in stock.  I'd take blue or burgundy.

There is a used red Fireball.  I prefer the chrome exhaust and it would be nice to have a backrest, simply to better secure a bag on the seat (I won't ride two up). Still, it'd be nice to get riding by fall here in the US.

Their price isn't great, and I'll work on that, but I wonder if the 300 mile service was done.  Before I look to negotiate that into the price, how could I tell it was done?  If I say throw it in, and they say it's done, how would I know.

Even in today's market, what percent less than new, would you expect a used price to be?  It has less than 1,000 miles, but 1 mile or 1,000, used is used.  In fact, when I first visited this dealer, the salesman warned me off the REs, because their resale is poor (I'll be sure to remind him he said that  ;D ). 

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Is this a dealer demo bike, or a traded in early bike, due to the previous owner deciding it wasn't for him?

If it is a demo, they should still be selling that with the full three year warranty from the day you take delivery and should have performed the 300 mile service long before the sale. There is really no way to tell if it has been done, unless they can prove it on paper.

If it was pre owned, the dealer should have a record (invoice copy) of the initial service that they can show you, if it was serviced there. Nowadays though, at car dealers for sure, all service info for a vehicle they sell is kept on a computer record and that could be seen as evidence the work was done. Any dealer can pull up that information. Not sure if RE has such a system in place.

Seems to me, but maybe I am overly skeptical in these types if matters, that you were given a line about poor resale on the RE's in order to switch you up to a more expensive bike. Commonly called a "bait and switch" scam. A used bike is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, so you are in the driver's seat on that. If you decide to go with it, set yourself a top price and negotiate up to that point. Then walk away. If they really want to sell it, they will call you back.

I don't think the Meteor is old enough to see a lot of resales as yet, but check all the bike sales online to see if you can get an idea of what people are asking for them.

If you won't be 100% happy with the Fireball, with your valid concerns about its shortcomings, you might be better to wait for what you really want.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:40:34 am by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Patience, Grasshopper!  :)  YOU have the cash, YOU are calling the shots.

I don't care a whit about a 300 mile service. Oil change, filter, spark plug, pop the tank & pop the valve covers, look at the clearances with a feeler gauge yourself. ONLY THEN will you know it was done.

Look on Cycletrader nationwide and see what the real availability for your favorite color scheme is.
Often a bus ride /field trip with a friend will tip the scale in your favor. Don't hesitate to look 250 - 500 miles out.

If the Fireball is actually available for $1500 under a new one, I'd learn to like it. If the owner is reluctant - move on. You have cash, if he really wanted to sell he'd do so.

These new 350s are very Japanese-like. I'd be amazed if they don't routinely run 50,000 to 75,000 miles with normal maintenance and under a sane rider. I wouldn't get too hung up on warrantee or worried about a machine with 5,000 on the clock. Chances are good you can find a nice used 3,500 mile on-the-clock "dresser" version of what you are after from some poor soul that suddenly feels he needs "more bike" because his friends can run 100 MPH.

Be patient, look around, find "the deal", don't sweat the warrantee BS - it's a 350cc OHC single, not a Hayabusa. Warranty periods are set by the predicted mean time between failure, if they were going to lose money honoring the warranties, they would stop offering them. R.E. has built a lot of bikes, it's unlikely you'll have any engine issues.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
Thanks.  I have no issue with used.  Heck, the first new vehicle I bought was in 2019 and I've been driving, well, a lot earlier than 2019  ;)

I have no issue being in a battle of wits with salesmen.  I managed a service shop for Honda for a while and life in general taught me well.

Yes, the winner is the one willing to walk away.  A lesson I just taught to two of my children, as they bought out their leases.  Car leases...rarely a good idea, but in 2019, they turned out to be a windfall in 2022. 

The only issues I have with the bike are:

- am I getting a fair price, which I'll research.  Their price seems to be about $600 less than what they listed a new yellow one a week ago, which seemed high  to me, but to be  fair, I haven't discussed it in person with them.

- Red is not the color and chrome that I would really prefer.  But it does get me on the road, so am I willing to use it as a gap bike, until others become available.

Any idea how frequently models are shipping?  Neither local dealer seemed very enthused.  I can live with 4-6 weeks to be  honesst

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead

"some poor soul that suddenly feels he needs "more bike" because his friends can run 100 MPH."

Hey, you talkin' about me??

Actually, I'm missing the best bike I ever had that did that easily.  :(
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
These were between $4000 - $4500
Many more showed up between $4500 and $4800
Craigslist generally has better deals than cycletrader

Bend Oregon
New 2021 Royal Enfield Standard Motorcycle
METEOR 350 SUPERNOVA BLUE
# RB21036
$4,199
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-Royal+Enfield-METEOR+350+SUPERNOVA-5021255269

Madison, Tennessee
New 2022 Royal Enfield Standard Motorcycle
Meteor Supernova Blue
# RM0354
$4,399
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2022-Royal+Enfield-Meteor+Supernova+Blue-5019220982
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Hay ,
Hold out for the one you want , You'll be keeping it a long time ! 

;)
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
Thanks.  I did find a lead on the one I want, used, which is fine.  Could be a bit a haul to get it, but it might be worth it.  I'd be ok with waiting for a new one, so we'll see if the one dealer can give me a lead time on that.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks.  I did find a lead on the one I want, used, which is fine.  Could be a bit a haul to get it, but it might be worth it.  I'd be ok with waiting for a new one, so we'll see if the one dealer can give me a lead time on that.

Bear in mind that you may pay full price for the new one, PLUS the PDI charges, which could amount to another $1,000 or so (mine was $1,200 CDN) whereas you don't pay that extra fee when buying used.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
Bear in mind that you may pay full price for the new one, PLUS the PDI charges, which could amount to another $1,000 or so (mine was $1,200 CDN) whereas you don't pay that extra fee when buying used.

Agreed and you'd think that, but even the dealership wants an additional $1,100 for tags and dealer prep of this used bike.  It's used and not a demo. 

I might head over there tomorrow and talk about ordering a new one.  The issue, locally, is that here in the northeast US there aren't nearly as many bike as other areas.  There are some deals on CL, but now knowing exactly what I want, I'm fairly pigeonholed here.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
"Agreed and you'd think that, but even the dealership wants an additional $1,100 for tags and dealer prep of this used bike.  It's used and not a demo."

That is just blatant robbery and disgusting! If they won't drop that "fee", I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine and go to your next nearest dealer to order the bike and then never visit that dealer again.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1983 Honda CB1000
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:

SwiftyMorgan

• Scooter
"Agreed and you'd think that, but even the dealership wants an additional $1,100 for tags and dealer prep of this used bike.  It's used and not a demo."

That is just blatant robbery and disgusting! If they won't drop that "fee", I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine and go to your next nearest dealer to order the bike and then never visit that dealer again.

It's why I started this thread.  If I could spot something that indicates a 300 miles service, but I be a tad more understanding.  To your earlier point, they should have it recorded, so I can ask for that printout. 

Online, they get mostly good reviews and I actually caught their GM and Sales Manager names, so I might just start with the SM when I get there.  I have cash and zero time for games.  I realize COVID took the buyer's power away a bit, but the worm has turned, at least as far as I'm concerned.

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Hay Swifty

When I was looking for a Meteor :

I have two dealer ,
One North about 70 miles in TN.
One South about 70 miles in AL.

The North dealer wanted $7100. out the door
The South dealer wanted $5100. out the door.

The base price was the same .

I had to pay $400+- in tax when I got my own tags.   ;)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:17:13 am by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Agreed and you'd think that, but even the dealership wants an additional $1,100 for tags and dealer prep of this used bike.  It's used and not a demo. 

I might head over there tomorrow and talk about ordering a new one.  The issue, locally, is that here in the northeast US there aren't nearly as many bike as other areas.  There are some deals on CL, but now knowing exactly what I want, I'm fairly pigeonholed here.
That sounds outrageous about those fees on a used bike unless dealer prep means a full-service including valve lash adjustment and 'tags' means license, registration and state sales tax. Besides, if you don't get the bike you want you might regret it. Either way, good luck!

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK

I have noticed some advertisements for used bikes here in the UK that say +£100 "admin fee", what ever that is, in the small print. And some make a big point of, "no admin fee"
It's just another way to screw the last penny out of you. >:( >:(
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--